US going metric?

Old January 6th, 2004, 07:42 PM
alohacyberian

Default US going metric?

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:23:10 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:
"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 21:01:55 GMT, "alohacyberian"

My calculator does grads.

I was talking about common everyday use, not scientific applications.

That's not what you said. You said: "I'm still waiting for
someone to say it's long overdue to revamp the 360 degrees of
circles into metric!" If you didn't mean it, you should have said
what you meant.

We still use hours, minutes and seconds which is based on 360 degrees. So,
are you going to become like Sjoerd and Miguel Cruz and follow me around the
Usenet and attack everything I post just because I once posted something in a
different newsgroup regarding homosexuality that didn't suit your prejudices?
KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old January 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM
alohacyberian

"Bob Myers" wrote in message
"alohacyberian" wrote in message

Once again, you live in a climate with a wide range of yearly

temperatures,
so I wasn't talking about your climate, I was talking about mine with a

range
of 25 degrees Fahrenheit. KM

Which is a spread of just under 14 deg. C. So far, you've given
no reason to think that you care about changes smaller than 1 deg. C,
so what's the problem?

Bob M.

I never suggested there was a problem. I said I think the metric system has
it all over the imperial system; I noted, however that I think America and
Americans will be slow to adopt the metric system. If you see that as a
problem, I guess that's the problem. KM

Old January 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM
alohacyberian

"Bob Myers" wrote in message
"alohacyberian" wrote in message
As I said, people in Hawaii may complain when it's 70 degrees, but, won't

if
it's 72. Some people who live in climates where there is very little
variation can certainly tell the difference. When it's 70 degrees, most
Hawaiians will wear jackets or sweaters. KM

OK, so they'll complain at 21 deg. C but not at 22 deg. C.
What's the problem?

There are already many, many examples of places with climates
very similar to Hawai'i, and yet the residents are quite at ease with
temperatures in Celsius. Why should we think Hawai'ians can't also
adapt to the other system?
Bob M.

I'm not acting as a spokesperson for Hawaiians or Americans, I'm merely
stating the way it is in light of the fact that Americans are slow or
resistent to accepting the metric system, particularly temperatures. If you
don't want to believe that, don't. I already stated numerous times that I
think the metric system has it all over the alternatives, but, the fact of
the matter remains that though you and I may be enamored with total metrics,
a good deal of the rest of Americans are not and will not be. If you want to
see that as a "problem" or live in the world of "problems", be my guest. If I
were to tell many, many Americans that at this moment it's 19 degrees celsius
where I live, they wouldn't have any idea if that's hot or cold. Is that a
problem? I guess it is if you want it to be. KM

Old January 6th, 2004, 11:08 PM
me

"Bob Myers" wrote in message ...
"me" wrote in message
om...

Besides almost universal lack of use? It's a tad small still.
Feet is a good height for bridge clearances and the like.

Funny, my recollection of driving in places like France is that
they DO have bridges there, and yet I don't think French truck
drivers tend to run their vehicles into them any more often than
in the U.S.. Wonder how they do it? :-)

Cause when the bridge says 6 meters, they don't drive their
5.sumpin' meter truck under it. But the US driver will take his
16 foot sumpin' truck under the 18 foot bridge. It's called
increase productivity.
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that alohacyberian wrote in article
:

"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote in message
et...
Me wrote:
In article ,
I believe there was a half-hearted attempt to go metric in the '70's.
Other than for scientific purposes, I don't ever expect the United
States to officially adopt the metric system, although it would
definitely benefit from doing so.

About the only effect of the 1970s effort is the two-liter soda bottle.

Also the displacement of automobile engines changed from cubic inches to
liters. KM

And most speedometers seem to have metric displayed along with miles,
though not as prominently.
--
Don

Old January 6th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:42:02 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:23:10 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:
"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 21:01:55 GMT, "alohacyberian"

My calculator does grads.

I was talking about common everyday use, not scientific applications.

That's not what you said. You said: "I'm still waiting for
someone to say it's long overdue to revamp the 360 degrees of
circles into metric!" If you didn't mean it, you should have said
what you meant.

We still use hours, minutes and seconds which is based on 360 degrees.

And I said grads didn't.

So, are you going to become like Sjoerd and Miguel Cruz and follow me around the
Usenet and attack everything I post just because I once posted something in a
different newsgroup regarding homosexuality that didn't suit your prejudices?

What's that got to do with it?

Old January 6th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:42:01 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:23:12 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

Once again, you live in a climate with a wide range of yearly

temperatures,
so I wasn't talking about your climate, I was talking about mine with a

range
of 25 degrees Fahrenheit. KM

So it's your considered opinion that the rest of the world should
adjust its meteorogical systems to accomondate the situation in
Hawai'i?

No, dearie, did you ignore the fact that I said more than once that the
metric system has it all over the Imperial system? I said the U.S. is
unlikely to give up some of the old systems such as Farenheit, and gave
Hawaii as an example of why. KM

But you also noted that Hawai'i is a bit exceptional.

Old January 6th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Dave Smith

alohacyberian wrote:

But, as I said, media weather reporting and forecasting is unlikely to use
decimals. KM

What difference would it make? They aren't usually very accurate anyway.

Old January 7th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Greg Johnson

Is my memory failing, or did NASA have a problem ten years, or so, ago
with a launch where some calculations were made in metrics and some were
not?

Old January 7th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Greg Johnson

I learned both many years ago, and while I use fahrenheit, I can still
do the conversion in my head. My question, though, is why was the usage
of the explanatory "centigrade" changed to the astrological "celsius"?