Death Valley

Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Polaris2002

Default Death Valley

This dry valley is under the level of the sea. It would be possible to built a
canal between Los Angeles and this valley in order to bring the Pacific ocean's
water into this valley, so it will become a new Salt Lake and we'll be able to
build a new Salt Lake City. Many tourists have died when they tried to cross
this valley, so it would be better to get it less dry with a big Lake.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:45 PM
JamesStep

Many tourists have died when they tried to
cross this valley, so it would be better to get it
less dry with [a new Salt Lake]

In the 1800s, when it took days to cross Death Valley, a lake
would indeed have saved lives -- if it contained *drinkable*
water. But salt water isn't drinkable.

In modern times, the #1 cause of death in Death Valley is
auto accidents, not dehydration.

Some people still die of dehydration, but even if a lake of
drinkable water existed, I'm not sure it would help much.
Dehydration deaths often are from tourists who don't
carry enough water and collapse before they can get back
to their cars. And often they are in the mountains on either
side of the valley, not in the valley itself where the lake
would be located. They'd never make it to the lake. And
of course the lake wouldn't be drinkable anyway, because
it would be salty.

And on top of all that, it's a national park so they want
to preserve the valley the way it is.

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Roger B.

"JamesStep" wrote...
And on top of all that, it's a national park so they want
to preserve the valley the way it is.

Yeah, but wouldn't be nice have a Dairy Queen or
Baskin-Robbin's smack-dab in the middle. [R]

Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:54:39 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"Polaris2002" wrote in message
This dry valley is under the level of the sea. It would be possible to
built a
canal between Los Angeles and this valley in order to bring the Pacific
ocean's
water into this valley, so it will become a new Salt Lake and we'll be
able to
build a new Salt Lake City. Many tourists have died when they tried to
cross
this valley, so it would be better to get it less dry with a big Lake.

There are 2 little problems with this idea

1) The Sierra's

2) The Panamints

Digging canals through mountains is kinda hard
and California already has its own salt lake.
Its called the Salton Sea

And no matter what the pretensions of Brawley or El Centro,
neither of them is even close to being a new Salt Lake City.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:37:53 GMT, "Böwsér" wrote:

"Roger B." wrote in message
"JamesStep" wrote...
And on top of all that, it's a national park so they want
to preserve the valley the way it is.

Yeah, but wouldn't be nice have a Dairy Queen or
Baskin-Robbin's smack-dab in the middle. [R]

They do, sort of. There's a resot right in the middle of the park, with a
very nice air-conditioned restaurant, and you can get your ice cream there.
I was there in July, and it's ery nice. Although there's something totally
wrong with eating ice cream in the middle of a desert when the temperature
outdoors is 122F.

Strikes me a a rather appropriate time to be eating ice cream.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:41:08 GMT, "Böwsér" wrote:

"Polaris2002" wrote in message
This dry valley is under the level of the sea. It would be possible to
built a
canal between Los Angeles and this valley in order to bring the Pacific
ocean's
water into this valley, so it will become a new Salt Lake and we'll be
able to
build a new Salt Lake City. Many tourists have died when they tried to
cross
this valley, so it would be better to get it less dry with a big Lake.

Techically, it's not a valley, but a graben,

Piffling pedantry. It's jsut as much a velly as the Great Rift
Valley of Africa.

which is an area of the crust that sunken.

Insufficient: it is an area of the crust that sunken between two
faults.

Valleys are cut by rivers or glaciers,

Citation please?

while grabens are just sunken crust.