Places in and around Ontario

Old July 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Harold Crump

Default Places in and around Ontario

Hello,

My in-laws are visting us from Europe later this month.
We live in the Toronto region in Canada.

They'll be here for 3 months and I would like for them to see the best
of Ontario and nearby areas.

Any suggestions for 2 day, 3 day trips?

They are in their 50s, so nothing too strenous but some amount of
walking is acceptable.

Also, what about Fall trips - where would be the best place in Canada
to see the Fall colours?

I am thinking New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, but would like more
specific ideas.

Thanks,
Harold.

Old July 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Fred D

On 9 Jul 2005 04:21:27 -0700, "Harold Crump"
wrote:

Hello,

My in-laws are visting us from Europe later this month.
We live in the Toronto region in Canada.

They'll be here for 3 months and I would like for them to see the best
of Ontario and nearby areas.

Any suggestions for 2 day, 3 day trips?

Niagara Falls
Niagara on the lake
Drive along the wine route through Niagara and visit several
of the wineries
Ottawa is always interesting

They are in their 50s, so nothing too strenous but some amount of
walking is acceptable.

Also, what about Fall trips - where would be the best place in Canada
to see the Fall colours?

beaver valley is the best in ON.
Second through Algoma in the early fall on the train
Through Caledon and the Forks of the Credit area

Old July 10th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Joe Spekowsky[[email protected]

wrote:

Hello,

My in-laws are visting us from Europe later this month.
We live in the Toronto region in Canada.

They'll be here for 3 months and I would like for them to see the best
of Ontario and nearby areas.

Any suggestions for 2 day, 3 day trips?

They are in their 50s, so nothing too strenous but some amount of
walking is acceptable.

Also, what about Fall trips - where would be the best place in Canada
to see the Fall colours?

I am thinking New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, but would like more
specific ideas.

Thanks,
Harold.

Seeing as you say you live in this area wouldnt you be the best judge
of where and what to do????
Old July 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Harold Crump

Joe wrote:

Seeing as you say you live in this area wouldnt you be the best judge
of where and what to do????

Normally, yes
But I have moved here only about 6 months back and know next to nothing
about Ontario.
I've never been out of the Toronto area, let alone Ontario

Which is why I am asking for suggestions, not just for Ontario but for
other places in Canada as well.

Thanks.

-Harold

Old July 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Harold Crump a =E9crit :
Hello,

My in-laws are visting us from Europe later this month.
We live in the Toronto region in Canada.

They'll be here for 3 months and I would like for them to see the best
of Ontario and nearby areas.

Any suggestions for 2 day, 3 day trips?

They are in their 50s, so nothing too strenous but some amount of
walking is acceptable.

Also, what about Fall trips - where would be the best place in Canada
to see the Fall colours?

I am thinking New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, but would like more
specific ideas.

Definitely Niagara falls - nothing comparable to
the falls in Europe. Some Niagara peninsula wineries
are worth a visit especially for wine-lovers (I like
the Chardonnays made in that area)

For most Europeans, Toronto is an interesting city:
CN tower, great shopping malls (things have changed,
we now also have some, but I still prefer the malls
in Canada ...), the zoo, even driving around is
a change for tourists from many countries (driving
around without using the horn as main instrument ...)

New Brunswick is sure nice, but far away.
1000 islands is a better option, and Ottawa is one
of the towns I like to return as a tourist (small,
open, great parks next to the city, Rideau canal,
museums) or Montreal for an other flair combining
"new world" with european influence (whereas
Quebec-city IMHO is not really a place to show
tourist from Europe). Depending where your
visitors are from, Saguenay and Lac St-Jean,
the ferry from north to south shore of St.Lawrence
Gulf, Gasp=E9 might be more interesting than most of
New Brunswick (I still have not found time for
visiting Nova Scotia)

Just a recommendation: dont try to look for "old
things" to show such as houses or churches. On my
first trip to Canada (25 year ago) I had trouble
understanding why a local guide was showing me a
150-year old church and nearby 200-year old house
(I grew up in a small town's old center with most
houses built between 12th and 18th century)

Old July 11th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Dave Smith

Harold Crump wrote:

Hello,

My in-laws are visting us from Europe later this month.
We live in the Toronto region in Canada.

They'll be here for 3 months and I would like for them to see the best
of Ontario and nearby areas.

Any suggestions for 2 day, 3 day trips?

Send them up to Muskoka or Algonquin Park to see the hardwood forests,
hills and the lakes and rivers or up to Collingood area.

They are in their 50s, so nothing too strenous but some amount of
walking is acceptable.

Gee, I hope 50 is not too far over the hill. I am over 50 and could give
you a run for your money.

Also, what about Fall trips - where would be the best place in Canada
to see the Fall colours?

Muskoka and Algonquin Park around the end of September is probably the
best place to see fall colours. There are vast hardwood forests all
through the area and the colour changes are rather sudden so you get all
the leaves changing at the same time. More southerly forests have a slower
change so it is less dramatic.

I am thinking New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, but would like more
specific ideas.

That's more than a 2-3 day trip. It will take that long for them to get
there and back. Should they go, count on a lot more time than that.
Lunnenburg and Louisburg are interesting places. The Bay of Fundy National
Park is a great place to go and see incredible tides. A 45 foot tide has
to be seen to be believed. The Gaspe peninsula is nice.

Old July 11th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Gail Sperling

As others have mentioned, Niagara Falls and also the Niagara-on-the-Lake
area. The Bruce Penninsula is also good (Tobermory, Lion's Head) with great
hiking trails, glass bottom boat tours of the ship wrecks and Flowerpot
islands - fall colours not as good as the Algonquin area.

If they like beaches, try Sauble beach or Wasaga Beach. Sauble is not far
from the Bruce and could easily be combined into one trip.

Ottawa has lots to do with the parliament buildings, museums, the Canadian
mint, Byward market.

If you are in downtown Toronto pick up some Ontario travel brochures from
area hotels or tourist attractions for other ideas.

Hope this helps,
Gail