US+Mexican tourist pair -- Entry to Canada

Old February 11th, 2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default US+Mexican tourist pair -- Entry to Canada

I am planning a 10-14 day vacation to BC for
Summer '06 -- Vancouver, Campbell River,
Knight Inlet, and back to Vancouver. I will
be making all of the travel arrangements --
flights, hotels, etc.

I am a U.S. citizen, and my traveling companion
is a Mexican citizen. We are not related, nor
do we live together.

I have studied the information on Canada's tourism
website, which is helpful, but I still have one
big concern.

It's been a while since my last entry to Canada,
so I don't remember the setup.

We would arrive by commercial flight. Can we both
approach Canadian immigration control officers
together, since we're traveling together?

If not, I'm a bit worried that my companion, who
doesn't speak English that well, would perhaps
not be able to adequately answer questions.
MIGHT HE BE TURNED AWAY BECAUSE OF THIS?!
Would any specific documents about our plans help?

I am very grateful that Canada seems to welcome
Mexican visitors more readily than the U.S. does.
(Indeed, that's why we're going to BC instead of,
say, Alaska!) But it's my knowledge of U.S. entry
hassles that makes me wary and makes me worry.

-- Rodney

Old February 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

If not, I'm a bit worried that my companion, who
doesn't speak English that well, would perhaps
not be able to adequately answer questions.
MIGHT HE BE TURNED AWAY BECAUSE OF THIS?!
Would any specific documents about our plans help?

Specific documents *always* help.

But to answer your question, I would step up together. I have entered
Canada with friends before and we have stepped up together, or the officer
has asked us to, because we're travelling together.

They have interpreters available, so the key thing is to not make it seem
like you're answering questions for your companion - If the officer asks a
question of your companion you should let the companion try to answer, or
you should say "I'm sorry, he doesn't speak much English - Am I permitted to
translate?"

If the officer says no you should just clam up and let him find an
interpreter. But if the officer asks your companion "How long have you
known this person?" you shouldn't reply "He's known me X years" - Let your
friend try to answer, and only translate if it's allowed. All that being
said, you should be fine.

BTW, if you have any specific travel questions on Vancouver or Vancouver
Island feel free to ask - My email address is below.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
geoff at glave dot org

Old February 14th, 2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Where are you arriving from? Mexico to Vancouver direct or via
somewhere else?

1.You need a return ticket.
2.You need enough money for your trip.

So if you are paying for everything, you are definatly traveling
together! Approach immigration together.

Your Mexican friend, as do you, needs to have a link to his home
country. A job would be a good start. Immigration may ask you how long
you have know each other. How you met. Etc...

There are plenty of rich Mexicans with money to burn on Canadian
attractions. Immigration just wants to make sure he is one of them.

As for lack of English, there are plenty of Vancouvorites with Canadian
citizenship who have mediocre to inexistant English, it's doesn't
appear to have stoped them from getting in.

I would dissagree with the "they have interpreters available".
Translation is usually a blody hassle. Especially Spanish which is not
the main clientel at Vancouver.

Things to leave behind:
1. Resume
2. Phone numbers of Mexican "friends" in Toronto and Montreal.

There is always a risk at the border. If you have a DUI conviction from
20 years ago they wont let you in. If you plan on helping out your
brother in-law at the cottage. Buh by.

Double check the visa requirements befor you leave. They change.

Sam

Old February 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

You could have met on the 'plane as far as
the officer knows....

That's an excellent point that I hadn't thought of.

If the officer asks a question of your
companion you should let the companion try to
answer...

Yes, that seems right to me, too.

Where are you arriving from? Mexico to
Vancouver direct or via somewhere else?

I'm hoping to go direct from Mexico to Vancouver,
just to avoid U.S. "transit lounge" stop-overs.

There are plenty of rich Mexicans with money
to burn on Canadian attractions. Immigration
just wants to make sure he is one of them.

That's definitely a potential problem; he's not!
He's dirt poor; it's my money paying for the trip.

-- Rodney

Old February 20th, 2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Your mexican buddy will not be able to enter canada without a VISA.

From the Mexico City Canadian Embassy web site:

Information on Immigration and Visas

Mexicans visiting Canada as tourists do not require visas. They
however must satisfy the immigration authorities at the port of entry
that they are bona fide temporary residents (tourists).

Source: http://tinyurl.com/jjt6n

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada