Started to plan for NYC.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Started to plan for NYC.

Will be in Boston to attend a wedding and plan to spend 3-4 days in
NYC. So a first question, which area of NYC should I look for hotels?
We are not really night life people. An area with good restaurants,
walking streets, and access to public transport. TIA.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article .com,
"PeterL" wrote:

Will be in Boston to attend a wedding and plan to spend 3-4 days in
NYC. So a first question, which area of NYC should I look for hotels?
We are not really night life people. An area with good restaurants,
walking streets, and access to public transport. TIA.

You might enjoy the the area around 54th Street near Central Park, but
it really depends on your interests and budget. There are tons of hotels
throughout NYC. Check Expedia or any of the online travel sites to get
some ideas of what's available in your price range.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Skookum wrote:
You might want to consider perusing the listings on www.craigslist.org
(you go to that page which, on my computer always brings up San
Francisco, then find New York in the lengthy list of cities on the
right hand side of the page, click on that and locate "vacation
rentals". I have been able to find studio apartments in severl great
areas of town (Upper east and west sides, Greenwich village) for much
less than any decent hotel. I especially liked staying on the Upper
east side around 70th once. There were lots of nice shops and cafes and
good restaurants as well as proximity to the Metropolitan Museum of Art
and Central Park. The same is true of the west side where such wonders
as the American Museum of Natural History and the food emporium,
Zabar's, are close at hand.

Of course, one has to be careful in choosing who to deal with but I've
found that the nice people and the charlatans distinguish themsleves
pretty quickly when one starts exchanging emails.

Good Luck!

Thanks I'll definitely look at Craig's list.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

www.craigslist.org is a great place to go shopping for vacation rentals
in NYC and any other area it lists. Shop by destination.

When chosing a vacation rental in NYC or anywhere else look for these
things:
1. plenty of photos
2. a written rental agreement including specific deposit
return/cancellation policies (standard is you get nothing back w/in 60
days)
3. speak to the person several times by email, and ask questions so you
see what type of person you are dealing with. Call for an even better
idea.
4. ask about cleanliness, noise, etc. if you have any doubt

Other good places to look for vacation rentals include:
www.vacationrentals.com ; www.cyberrentals.com ; www.greatrentals.com ;
and www.vrbo.com - I haven't check for NYC myself yet.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 22 Feb 2006 14:47:00 -0800, "Skookum" wrote:

You might want to consider perusing the listings on www.craigslist.org
(you go to that page which, on my computer always brings up San
Francisco, then find New York in the lengthy list of cities on the
right hand side of the page, click on that and locate "vacation
rentals".

There was an article in the New York Times that said some apartment
buildings are slowly becoming de facto hotels, with the landlord
converting apartments to vacation rentals as they become vacant, and
renting them out via craigs.list. It is much more lucrative to the
landlord than renting with annual leases.

The main problem, from the point of view of the renter, is that these
buildings don't conform to the safety regulations of hotels. In an
apartment building, for example, the tenants all know their way around
the building and where the fire exits are. In a hotel, there are much
more rigorous regulations about emergency exits and emergency
lighting, because it is assumed that the guests won't be as familiar
with the layout of the building. Also hotels must have sprinkler
systems, more fire extinguishers, etc.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 22 Feb 2006 08:29:35 -0800, "PeterL" wrote:

Will be in Boston to attend a wedding and plan to spend 3-4 days in
NYC. So a first question, which area of NYC should I look for hotels?
We are not really night life people. An area with good restaurants,
walking streets, and access to public transport. TIA.

Anywhere in Manhattan will have access to public transport and walking
streets, and you can use those means of transportation to get to good
restaurants anywhere in Manhattan. Which area you want to stay in
should have to do with other criteria. If you want a quiet residential
area without tremendous crowding, stay away from the Times Square
area. Why don't you give us some idea of your price range and what
other criteria you have?

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Pan wrote:
On 22 Feb 2006 08:29:35 -0800, "PeterL" wrote:

Will be in Boston to attend a wedding and plan to spend 3-4 days in
NYC. So a first question, which area of NYC should I look for hotels?
We are not really night life people. An area with good restaurants,
walking streets, and access to public transport. TIA.

Anywhere in Manhattan will have access to public transport and walking
streets, and you can use those means of transportation to get to good
restaurants anywhere in Manhattan. Which area you want to stay in
should have to do with other criteria. If you want a quiet residential
area without tremendous crowding, stay away from the Times Square
area. Why don't you give us some idea of your price range and what
other criteria you have?

I don't know about hotel prices in NYC. How about somewhere between
$100 to $150 a night?

We are just going to do some general NYC touring: good mid range
restaurants, boutique window shopping, maybe a show or two, a couple of
museums, etc.

Old February 24th, 2006, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 23 Feb 2006 15:35:33 -0800, "PeterL" wrote:

Pan wrote:
On 22 Feb 2006 08:29:35 -0800, "PeterL" wrote:

Will be in Boston to attend a wedding and plan to spend 3-4 days in
NYC. So a first question, which area of NYC should I look for hotels?
We are not really night life people. An area with good restaurants,
walking streets, and access to public transport. TIA.

Anywhere in Manhattan will have access to public transport and walking
streets, and you can use those means of transportation to get to good
restaurants anywhere in Manhattan. Which area you want to stay in
should have to do with other criteria. If you want a quiet residential
area without tremendous crowding, stay away from the Times Square
area. Why don't you give us some idea of your price range and what
other criteria you have?

I don't know about hotel prices in NYC. How about somewhere between
$100 to $150 a night?

That'll be helpful in your search. And what type of accomodations are
satisfactory to you? By the way, is that for a double?

We are just going to do some general NYC touring: good mid range
restaurants, boutique window shopping, maybe a show or two, a couple of
museums, etc.

Sounds fine to me, but that doesn't help us narrow down what part of
Manhattan for you to stay in, because you needn't walk to all of that.

Old February 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Skookum wrote:
I would reiterate my suggestion about craigslist in light of your price
range. Recent looking about I've done reveal next to nothing in this
range. Indeed, if you want to stay within that range and patronize a
hotel, your choice of location will be not very wide - it will be the
luck of finding anything that primarily will determine the location. I
have heard others speak about the Hotel Pennsylvania as often having
very reasonable deals, sometimes within your price range. Its website
is http://hotelpenn.com/thehotel.html. And of course there are
countless online accommodation finders (e.g. www.priceline.com). I did
a quick check on the latter and by moving your price expectation up to
about $200 per night (plus taxes) there are a number of selections.
Compare this, for an example that I just rapidly accessed on craigslist
to what you get at http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vac/136607533.html

Thanks I think Craigslist is my best option.