Started to plan for NYC.

Old February 25th, 2006, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Started to plan for NYC.

On 24 Feb 2006 07:40:07 -0800, "Skookum"
wrote:

I would reiterate my suggestion about craigslist in light of your price
range. Recent looking about I've done reveal next to nothing in this
range. Indeed, if you want to stay within that range and patronize a
hotel, your choice of location will be not very wide - it will be the
luck of finding anything that primarily will determine the location. I
have heard others speak about the Hotel Pennsylvania as often having
very reasonable deals, sometimes within your price range. Its website
is http://hotelpenn.com/thehotel.html. And of course there are
countless online accommodation finders (e.g. www.priceline.com). I did
a quick check on the latter and by moving your price expectation up to
about $200 per night (plus taxes) there are a number of selections.
Compare this, for an example that I just rapidly accessed on craigslist
to what you get at http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vac/136607533.html

Hi All

I just booked three nights in NYC in July at the 3*
Paramount on 46th for $112+tax on www.priceline.com, which
works out at $133 per night. The tripadvisor reports on the
hotel aren't glowing (apparently it's changing to the "Hard
Rock" hotel and is being refurbished - I'd be interested in
reports if anyone's stayed there), but I can't complain at
that price.

Three years back, I booked using priceline and that time I
booked the 4* Millennium on Broadway - for almost exactly
the same price.

Try priceline, but go to www.biddingfortravel.com first to
learn how to use it properly for multiple free re-bids.

Using that system, I also booked the Marriott Ohare for
tax-inclusive $67 and Singapore 4* Holiday Inn Atrium for
$84.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

[...]

thanks Alan: We use Priceline too. My question right now is not
knowing too much about NYC, which area of the city to stay in.

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

PeterL wrote:

thanks Alan: We use Priceline too. My question right now is not
knowing too much about NYC, which area of the city to stay in.

For Manhattan, look for something between the 40's and 50's that is 1-2
blocks off Broadway.

I just stayed in NYC on W 55th, near Broadway, and found it very
convenient to Central Park, multiple subway lines (including the E line
with fast service to JFK Airport), Times Square, etc. However I would
not recommend the place I stayed, since it goes for about $300/night (I
had three free nights as a contest prize). Use BiddingForTravel.com to
find a decent place on Priceline.

If you're not into night life (i.e. theatre) then staying on Manhattan
and paying inflated prices for hotels and restaurants may not make sense.
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

SMS wrote:
PeterL wrote:

thanks Alan: We use Priceline too. My question right now is not
knowing too much about NYC, which area of the city to stay in.

For Manhattan, look for something between the 40's and 50's that is 1-2
blocks off Broadway.

I just stayed in NYC on W 55th, near Broadway, and found it very
convenient to Central Park, multiple subway lines (including the E line
with fast service to JFK Airport), Times Square, etc. However I would
not recommend the place I stayed, since it goes for about $300/night (I
had three free nights as a contest prize). Use BiddingForTravel.com to
find a decent place on Priceline.

If you're not into night life (i.e. theatre) then staying on Manhattan
and paying inflated prices for hotels and restaurants may not make sense.

Well we are not really into night life. Probably a couple of museums
and window shopping, but would love to be near a lot of small cafe's
within walking distance.

Old February 25th, 2006, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:47:08 +1100, Alan S wrote:

I just booked three nights in NYC in July at the 3*
Paramount on 46th for $112+tax on www.priceline.com, which
works out at $133 per night. The tripadvisor reports on the
hotel aren't glowing (apparently it's changing to the "Hard
Rock" hotel and is being refurbished - I'd be interested in
reports if anyone's stayed there), but I can't complain at
that price.

We got rooms at the Grand Hyatt at Christmas time (very busy time of
year) this past December for $120.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 24 Feb 2006 22:41:27 -0800, "PeterL" wrote:

SMS wrote:

For Manhattan, look for something between the 40's and 50's that is 1-2
blocks off Broadway.

Not based on his criteria, as I believe I'm beginning to understand
them.

I just stayed in NYC on W 55th, near Broadway, and found it very
convenient to Central Park, multiple subway lines (including the E line
with fast service to JFK Airport), Times Square, etc. However I would
not recommend the place I stayed, since it goes for about $300/night (I
had three free nights as a contest prize). Use BiddingForTravel.com to
find a decent place on Priceline.

If you're not into night life (i.e. theatre) then staying on Manhattan
and paying inflated prices for hotels and restaurants may not make sense.

Well we are not really into night life. Probably a couple of museums
and window shopping, but would love to be near a lot of small cafe's
within walking distance.

As a New Yorker I probably know less about hotel prices than many
people who've visited my city, but if you want to be within walking
distance of a lot of good small cafes, you might want to look into
locations south of 14th St. I'm not sure what hotels are recommended
or within your price range in the Village or East Village, but there's
the Holiday Inn just north of Canal St. That would put you within
walking distance of loads of cheap (and in a fair number of cases,
good) restaurants in Chinatown, plus locations in TriBeCa and SoHo.
And I'm also aware that there are hotels further north and east in
SoHo, which is also fine because Chinatown is to the south, the East
Village is to your north, and the (rest of the) Lower East Side to
your East, all within easy walking distance. Other possible locations
for you could include Chelsea (West 14th-28th Sts. or so), Murray Hill
(East 14th-34 Sts.), and the Upper West Side, which above its southern
end at Columbus Circle (the location of the new Time Warner Center) is
not exactly a major restaurant destination but has improved
significantly in that department in the last few years. Even the Upper
East Side (East 60s-90s) would be worth considering. Almost anything
would be better based on that criterion than Midtown, which is in
parts a neighborhood of office workers (6th Av. to the East River, for
the most part) and in parts a crush of tourists (6th-8th Avs.).

That said, if you do end up in Midtown West, you can always walk to
9th Av. and find good value restaurants there. But given your desire
for a location that's relatively sedate at night, I'd advise you to
steer clear of the Theater District except for trips to the theater,
if you prefer to go to a Broadway or off-Broadway show than an
off-off-Broadway show. (For that matter, you wouldn't want to stay on
St. Marks Place in the East Village, because people are on that street
at all hours of the day and night.)

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

[...]

Your choices a

Downtown - SoHo - Financial District
Midtown East
Midtown South
Midtown West
Upper East Side
Upper Midtown - Central Park South
Upper West Side

I tried for midtown. My preferences for bidding in order
we Midtown East, Midtown West, Upper Midtown, Midtown
South and Downtown. By re-starting as appropriate there are
plenty of permutations and combinations to allow re-bidding
(read biddingfortravel). Upper East and West both had no 4*,
and one of those has no 3*, so they are very useful for
extra free re-bids.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

PeterL wrote:
Will be in Boston to attend a wedding and plan to spend 3-4 days in
NYC. So a first question, which area of NYC should I look for hotels?
We are not really night life people. An area with good restaurants,
walking streets, and access to public transport. TIA.

We just stayed at a hotel at Lexington and 51st (Doubletree
Metropolitan). The hotel was OK for the price (about $160 per night)
and the location was great. We walked west to Rockefeller Center and
Times Square, north to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum,
and south to Grand Central Terminal, the UN and the Public Library. In
addition, there was a subway station (#6) on the corner, which was very
useful. Lots of cafes around as well.

I would stay in this area again. We felt perfectly safe at all times,
even during late night returns from Broadway shows.