Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Old July 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Once had a guy that had a green 64 Chevy and a blue 64 Chevy (same models).
Bought one set of registration plates each year for the green Chevy (back
when Maryland issued metal plates each renewal.) Put one plate on the rear
of the green Chevy and the other on the back of the blue Chevy. He screwed
a friend and the friend told me. Waited to find him driving the blue Chevy.
He went to jail for that one plus a big fine (unregistered, uninsured,
fraudulent use of registration and other offenses.) Paybacks can sure be
hell (the lesson here is don't screw with your friends.)

No the lesson here is that one can take advantage of one's connections
to retaliate against one's friends (not even enemies). That's what real
friendship is all about

Old July 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Pat O'Connell

Alohacyberian wrote:
"Pat O'Connell" wrote in message
. ..
Alohacyberian wrote:
"Pat O'Connell" wrote in message
. ..
Caveat wrote:
"Sapphyre" wrote:
and then off to Albuquerque to shop
for handicrafts.

Santa Fe is good for that, too. And a nicer town.

SF is pretty, but the handicrafts (and restaurants) will be more
expensive there than in Albuquerque's Old Town.

But, don't you get what you pay for? I'm willing to pay a little more
for better quality. KM

The thing is, as long as you buy genuine Indian made jewelry (the stuff
sold in NM and AZ anyway, where the fake stuff is not allowed to be
marketed as Indian Made) you will probably be getting the same product
from the same craftspeople in Abq., SF, or Taos (and in AZ shops as well).
SF shops (and to a lesser degree, Taos shops) have to charge more than
Abq., because land and shop rents are more expensive there than in Abq.
Shops that have particularly high quality goods but aren't in Old Town
include Bien Mur at I-25 and Tramway, Maisel's on Central Ave. Downtown,
and Gertrude Zachary on Lomas a short way east of Old Town. The Santo
Domingo Trading Post in Old Town sells a lot of "old pawn" jewelry with a
lot of age and character.

Some SF restaurants are very nice indeed, but there are also good places
to eat in Abq. and Taos, and in some small towns you've never heard of
like Chimayo and Espanola. It helps to know a local to scout the good
stuff out of course.

Well, if I'm to choose an eatery or a place to shop, I'll pick Santa Fe and
Taos any day over Albuquerque, if only for the ambience! :-) Visiting big
cities just doesn't cut it compared to the alternative! KM

Just remember you'll be paying extra for ambience--anywhere.
Incidentally, the reason to visit SF foodwise is the local variations on
New Mexican food; the Vietnamese and other Asian restaurants in Abq are
better than those in SF.

Hint: assuming it's not raining (it's the monsoon season in NM right now
through sometime in September), the rooftop bar and restaurant at Coyote
Cafe in SF has a lot more atmosphere than the inside restaurant, and the
food costs a bit less. Corn on the cob with red chile powder is very good.

Check this site out for reviews of New Mexico restaurants, including
Santa Fe, Taos, Albuquerque and other towns:

http://www.nmia.com/~thriller/

Gil doesn't drink alcohol, so doesn't review margaritas, beers and other
drinks.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Andrew Tompkins

Steve wrote:
Alohacyberian wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

Alohacyberian wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

Name a state where that distinction is drawn.

LOL! If you don't want to believe it, then don't. I'm not your
lackey and suggest you do your own homework. Got Google? KM

You're the one making the assertion. You clearly have no proof.

This is the Usenet, I'm not interested in "proof".

OK then, you're wrong. In no state is there a distinction drawn. I
assert that.

Steve, you're usually not this ugly. What's going on? BTW, your
assertion would be incorrect.

Oregon:

811.135 Careless driving; penalty. (1) A person commits the
offense of careless driving if the person drives any vehicle upon a
highway or other premises described in this section in a manner that
endangers or would be likely to endanger any person or property.

(2) The offense described in this section, careless driving,
applies on any premises open to the public and is a Class B traffic
violation unless commission of the offense contributes to an accident.
If commission of the offense contributes to an accident, the offense
is a Class A traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §570; 1995 c.383 §20]

811.140 Reckless driving; penalty. (1) A person commits the
offense of reckless driving if the person recklessly drives a vehicle
upon a highway or other premises described in this section in a manner
that endangers the safety of persons or property.

(2) The use of the term "recklessly" in this section is as
defined in ORS 161.085.

(3) The offense described in this section, reckless driving, is
a Class A misdemeanor and is applicable upon any premises open to the
public. [1983 c.338 §571]

--
--Andy
Andrew G. Tompkins

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Sapphyre

There are busibodies everywhere... Messing with one's friends or not
doing so does not guarantee whether or not someone will be ****ed off
to retaliate. There are people with no lives who sit around places on
the Internet causing drama because it's the only excitement they can
get.

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maxx

Alohacyberian wrote:
"gel" wrote in message
I wonder how the roads are in New Orleans. Were the roads badly
damage by hurrican Katrina?

The roads were not nearly as damaged as you are. I've been told that the
damage that did occur was directly the result of Edmonton. KM

Banner Headline in the New Orleans News, Page B1.
Edmonton Cops invade New Orleans and taser I-10.
The road was TORTURED for 10 hours!!!!
THOSE *******S ! ! ! !

Old July 28th, 2006, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Marsha

Alohacyberian wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

skeptical. Anyway, Toronto does NOT get "much warmer" in the summer than
it does in Hawaii. A few days may have highs into the 90's, but Hawaii is
consistently warmer (and more humid, to boot).

complex to freeways entering greater San Francisco. To digress, Hawaii is
definitely not more humid than Toronto or any other city near the Great
Lakes. The only time you'll find high humidity in Hawaii is on a hot day
right after it rains. The tradewinds blow humidity from the islands out to
sea. In the summer, humidity in any city near the Great Lakes can be
oppressive even at four in the morning. Heavy humidity in Hawaii might last
an hour at most. Ask anyone you know who has visited Hawaii if they felt
the humidity was oppressive. Even people from arid places like southern
California and Arizona look puzzled and say, "No, not compared to New
Orleans!" KM

I'll vouch for that. Hawaii is much easier to take than Northwest Ohio
in the summer.

Marsha/Ohio

Old July 28th, 2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Marsha

Alohacyberian wrote:

LOL! There were a lot of anti-war songs that were my favorites. If they
were good music, I liked them. After I posted my remarks, I went online and
listened to Pete Seeger's rendition of "Where Have all the Flowers Gone?"
(and a few other versions) and decided that I like the Peter, Paul and Mary
version the best. I have all their albums, since the folk music of the 60s
is my second favorite form of music. Those who aren't aware of the folk
music of the 60s don't know what they're missing! ;-) KM

Have you listened to Bruce Springteen's tribute to Pete Seeger?
Excellent music.

Marsha/Ohio

Old July 28th, 2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
LVTravel[_1_]

I agree, but I'm not one of them. Just reinforcing what I had said earlier
in the post in reference to driving without proper registration.

oups.com...

Old July 28th, 2006, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
gel[_2_]

Another reason to talk against Edmonton.

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups
http://www.travelnewsgroups.com
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
gel[_2_]

Another reason to talk against Edmonton. Avoid Edmonton because of the
price of gazoline.