Two weeks and we're off!

Old August 1st, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Grey

Default Two weeks and we're off!

Started to finally pack for what will be our first cruise. Can't wait. Any
last minute advice on what to do/expect?

We are travelling to the Baltic ending in St.Petersburg, Russia. Anyone have
any idea what to do with currency?

Graham

Old August 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_1_]

Grey wrote:
Started to finally pack for what will be our first cruise. Can't wait. Any
last minute advice on what to do/expect?

We are travelling to the Baltic ending in St.Petersburg, Russia. Anyone have
any idea what to do with currency?

Graham

What ship will you be on? I have friends going on the Marco Polo.

Ermalee
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Grey" wrote:

Started to finally pack for what will be our first cruise. Can't wait. Any
last minute advice on what to do/expect?

Pack a power strip.

We are travelling to the Baltic ending in St.Petersburg, Russia. Anyone have
any idea what to do with currency?

Euros - there's a whole thread about it which I didn't pay any
attention to, not having a need right now. Google for it.
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy Kearns

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Grey" wrote:
We are travelling to the Baltic ending in St.Petersburg, Russia. Anyone

have
any idea what to do with currency?

Euros - there's a whole thread about it which I didn't pay any
attention to, not having a need right now. Google for it.

Depends on your itinerary. On our Baltic cruise the we only had one stop
that accepted Euros, Helsinki Finland I believe. Sweden, Estonia, Russia,
Denmark all have their own currency. On the other hand, we had no trouble
using ATMs in each of these countries to get enough pocket money for
doodads, and used credit cards for the rest. In Russia, if you don't want
to get rubles, many souvenir stands take Euros or dollars. (But rubles are
handy to get into the non-crowded bathrooms at the palaces...)

Old August 1st, 2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Grey

"Ermalee" wrote in message
. ..
Grey wrote:
Started to finally pack for what will be our first cruise. Can't wait.

Any
last minute advice on what to do/expect?

We are travelling to the Baltic ending in St.Petersburg, Russia. Anyone

have
any idea what to do with currency?

Graham

What ship will you be on? I have friends going on the Marco Polo.

Ermalee

P & O Arcadia.

I did here somewhere it's a good idea to take US$ for Russia. Yes?

Graham

Old August 1st, 2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_1_]

"Grey" wrote in
:

Started to finally pack for what will be our first cruise. Can't wait.
Any last minute advice on what to do/expect?

We are travelling to the Baltic ending in St.Petersburg, Russia.
Anyone have any idea what to do with currency?

Graham

Use credit cards for most purchases. Limit withdrawal from ATM's to
debit cards and don't get much. Make sure you get to the Hermitage as
early as possible by noon it is overcrowded and starts getting warm.
Peterhof and the other castles are "must sees" but timing isn't as
important for them. Do take a ride on the subway, it was the one
spectacular thing that Stalin did for St Petersburg, other than hat one
thing the only things worth seeing are pre revolution.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball

Hi, Grey,

We did the Baltics last summer on HAL's ms Rotterdam. You are in for a
treat--that's an interesting part of the world! You've rec'd good advice
currency. Basically, it's local currency almost daily, so get it onboard
(higher exchange cost) or from ATM's ashore. If you're taking P&O
excursions, you may not need any--you can use credit cards for most
purchases of any consequence, and in the tourist areas, you can often get
buy with Euros, you'll just get change back in the local currency. Don't
hesitate to wander if you like self-exploration--the usual Baltic port
cities are very "user friendly." Bring a travel umbrella, sweaters/jackets
(I don't know where you're from, but their summer weather is a lot cooler
than Texas summer weather!), comfortable walking shoes, and a power strip
for your cabin (there will be few electrical outlets). I like to bring
stickie notes to leave messages for my husband, e.g., "at the pool."

Have a wonderful trip and first cruise!

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosaly Greenberger

Ermalee: How about you joining our group with Cal Ford
in March on the Oceania Regatta? Transatlantic from Miami
to Marseille?
Would love to meet you and we are already about l0 people.
rosaly
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_1_]

Rosaly Greenberger wrote:
Ermalee: How about you joining our group with Cal Ford
in March on the Oceania Regatta? Transatlantic from Miami
to Marseille?
Would love to meet you and we are already about l0 people.
rosaly

Replied in private email.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bob T

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:13:32 +0100, "Grey"
wrote:

Started to finally pack for what will be our first cruise. Can't wait. Any
last minute advice on what to do/expect?

We are travelling to the Baltic ending in St.Petersburg, Russia. Anyone have
any idea what to do with currency?

This was my first cruise too ... and i wrote an extensive web site
about the baltic cruise which you will find at

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~boblorel/index.htm

I took currency for each port - obtained at a local bank, and each
port we stopped at i took along a small supply of their local
currency.

have a great trip!

Bob T.