MONTREAL ?

Old November 13th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Claude Lapointe

in article , Claude Lapointe at
wrote on 11/12/04 6:18 PM:

in article
, d b at
wrote on 11/8/04 4:45 PM:

Hi all,

Does anyone have a restaurant suggestion for Montreal? I am looking for
something very special as it will be a wedding anniversary celebration.

Restaurant Bonaparte (in old Montreal) has been suggested but am
interested if there are other/better choices.

Thanks,

djb

There have been a number of suggestions.

You said wedding celebration. FORGET SCHWARTZ'S! Although
wonderful in its own way, it's hole in the wall, more appropriate to
sandwiches for lunch, or for slumming.

Le Parchemin, already suggested, will be wonderful. I am unfamiliar with
Cube but, judging by its location, it would be a good choice. Absolute tops
considering the occasion, and truly magnificent, is Chez la Mere Michel in
downtown (where my wife and I have eaten - not inexpensive), and Les Fils du
Roy (in Old Montreal - we've not eaten there, but have walked past it and
looked in through the windows - looks absolutely super). It's in an ancient
building (Maison Pierre du Calvet), and maintains an ancient atmosphere.
Bonaparte, already suggested, would be wonderful, but not of the caliber of
Chez la Mere Michel and Les Fils du Roy.

I am familiar with a number of other truly wonderful restaurants in and
around Montreal, and will happily discuss them, but the creme de la creme
for this occasion are Chez la Mere Michel and Les Fils du Roy.

Claude (born in Montreal in '42, in US since '48, visit Montreal for a week
or so once or twice every year since '94)

And, I neglected to say that Maison Pierre du Calvet is a superb inn with
enclosed courtyard - very romantic.

phones: Chez la Mere Michel 1209 Rue Guy Street 514-934-0473
Les Fils du Roy 405 Rue Bonsecours Street 866-544-1725
Maison Pierre du Calvet 405 Rue Bonsecours Street 866-544-1725
www.piereducalvet.ca
infotourist 877-266-5687
they will mail a wonderful info package with maps,
accommodations, restaurants, interesting things

Finally, for "old money" sorts of experiences, the Queen Elizabeth Hotel
(800-441-1414, www.fairmont.com, 5 stars) and its restaurant, The Beaver
Club, downtown.

I could go on forever, but I won't. Specificate questions to
(remove the x's)

Claude

Old November 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Two r's in the URL if anyone is interested. See correction below.

Claude Lapointe wrote:

in article , Claude Lapointe at
wrote on 11/12/04 6:18 PM:

in article
, d b at

www.pierreducalvet.ca

Old November 14th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Claude Lapointe

in article , Clint at
wrote on 11/13/04 9:20 AM:

You might also consider Gibby's which is a Montreal institution. It is one
of the best steakhouses in Montreal and located in Old Montreal in a
building where it used to be old horse stables. It is on the route of where
the horse carriages in Old Montreal go so this can be romantic.

Clint

Free Spirit Gallery
http://www.FreeSpiritGallery.ca
Exquisite Inuit Eskimo & Native Art

The "Guide DeBeure" (sp?), probably the most honest restaurant guide for
Province Quebec, pans Gibby's by stating it's strictly for tourists.

I do agree that the physical plant is lovely.

I recommend this book to everyone interested in eating in province Quebec -
but it's in French. I've learned a great deal from it, and never been
steered wrong, even though I sometimes disagree with specific details.

In many bookstores in Montreal.