Shipboard Wedding Question

Old November 12th, 2005, 01:43 AM
PJ & Topher

Default Shipboard Wedding Question

We would like to get married on Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the
Seas. We will be sailing May 1, 2006. We have looked at the
"Packages" that the cruse line provides but, we were wondering if we
have to use one of them.

Sailing with us will be an ordaind minister. (My cousin) What we wold
like to know is if we get the license ourselves, could he marry us on
the ship?

Old November 12th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

FeAudrey wrote:

The cruiseline-arranged ceremonies take place in port,
before sailing.

On some cruise lines the ceremony can take place at sea.

sue
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Rog'

"PJ & Topher" wrote:
We would like to get married on Royal Caribbean's Sovereign
of the Seas.

That's a short-haul boat so you won't have much of a honeymoon.

Sailing with us will be an ordained minister (my cousin). What
we would like to know is if we get the license ourselves, could
he marry us on the ship?

I suggest that you call RCI's C/S line to make sure that they won't
toss your wedding party overboard. The problem is that, if you
use a M-L from Florida, you have to be married within the State,
so it'd need to be a darn quick-wedding B4 you leave Florida's
territorial waters (3 miles). Also, if you are a Florida resident and
do not complete a prep-course, you have to wait 3 days after the
ML is issued, so you might have to wait until the return to port!
You may find that other states have similar rules for their ML's. :-)
=R=

Old November 12th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Rog'

"FeAudrey" wrote:
The license is only good in the juridiction (usually a county)
in which it is issued.

In Florida, a ML is valid anywhere in the State, including
territorial waters, regardless of the county in which issued. =R=

Old November 12th, 2005, 03:37 AM
PJ & Topher

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify...
Could my cousin (Minister) marry us on the ship, assuming we were still
in port or in Florida waters? Also assuming we already had the ML.

Old November 12th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On 11 Nov 2005 19:37:41 -0800, "PJ & Topher" wrote:

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify...
Could my cousin (Minister) marry us on the ship, assuming we were still
in port or in Florida waters? Also assuming we already had the ML.

Hi,

You could IF Royal Caribbean gave you permission. You need to have
your travel agent contact Royal Caribbean for a definitive answer.
BTW, get the answer in writing from Royal Caribbean.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Rog'

"PJ & Topher" wrote:
Thank you for your response. Just to clarify...
Could my cousin (Minister) marry us on the ship, assuming we were
still in port or in Florida waters? Also assuming we already had the ML.

As far as Florida is concerned, that would be perfectly legal, provided
you complied with or were exempt from the cooling-off requirement.
But if you want to do this anyplace onboard other than in the privacy
of your stateroom, I suggest that you call RCI to make sure that they
would not give you a ton of grief about it. =R=

Old November 12th, 2005, 05:17 PM
PattyC

"PJ & Topher" wrote in message
oups.com...
We would like to get married on Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the
Seas. We will be sailing May 1, 2006. We have looked at the
"Packages" that the cruse line provides but, we were wondering if we
have to use one of them.

Sailing with us will be an ordaind minister. (My cousin) What we wold
like to know is if we get the license ourselves, could he marry us on
the ship?

This does not relate to your question, but seemed a good place for me to
place this observation.

I just returned (on 11/5) from a Princess Caribbean cruise. On 10/31/05, my
Steelers were playing the Ravens on Monday night football. Since I happened
to be with a bunch of Cleveland Browns fans (uck!), I found it necessary to
go to a bar alone to watch the game. (Too bad it was a cigar bar, and I
coughed much of the next day...)

BUT as related to weddings... there were TWO, yes 2!!! grooms there
watching the game. One with his entire wedding party, since he'd married on
the ship. The other was on his honeymoon. (Note there were not a lot of
people there in total - maybe 20 watching the game, plus another 6-8 smoking
cigars and making me sick....)

Anyhow. I thought it rather interesting that 2 newly married guys were out
at the bar when their wives were (reportedly) back in the cabin, but
"understanding" about the football thing.

Times have changed, I guess.... I was thinkin' "honeymoon" meant
lovey-dovey couples spending time TOGETHER?

Anyway, the Steelers won that game, so I was happy...

PattyC

Old November 12th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Rog'

"PattyC" wrote:
Anyhow. I thought it rather interesting that 2 newly married
guys were out at the bar when their wives were (reportedly)
back in the cabin, but "understanding" about the football thing.

This is why weddings should take place in the Spring. :-) =R=