Strategy for Tuscany/Umbria

Old July 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Strategy for Tuscany/Umbria

So thinking about a 2-week trip and have been reading such things as:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/italy.htm

Don't care about an "authentic" village experience so staying at an
agriturismo isn't as appealing as it might be to others. Wine and olive
oil are fine but I don't have to watch anyone make them every day for a
couple of weeks.

So trying to think of a base and since typically, vacation rentals tend
towards 1-week minimums rather than a couple of nights, I'm thinking of
staying in a town such as Pienza and driving to the smaller villages
during the day rather than trying to find a place to stay in several
villages and moving around all the time.

Of course, accommodations might be more difficult to find in towns
versus villages (especially if you need parking). But presumably, you'd
get amenities like air conditioning (trip would be in late May or early
June), maybe fewer bugs. Plus access to more dining options?

Do these assumptions make sense or is there some other advantage to
staying in farm houses or B&Bs in smaller villages that I'm missing?

The alternatives would seem to be staying in larger towns for up to a
week at a time and then driving to nearby villages.

Or going from agriturismo/B&Bs every couple of nights from village to
village.

I know that some of the more popular destinations are said to be better
at night, after the day trippers have left.

BTW, how is driving on some of these country roads at night? Or even
during the day? I just returned from driving in the Provence Alpes and
it was a harrying experience at times (winding roads too narrow for
traffic in both directions).
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rog'

"poldy" wrote:
So thinking about a 2-week trip and have been reading such
things as: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/italy.htm
Don't care about an "authentic" village experience so staying
at an agriturismo isn't as appealing as it might be to others.
Wine and olive oil are fine but I don't have to watch anyone
make them every day for a couple of weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
San Gimignano is one of those places that is magical at night
after the tour buses have left and the parking lots are empty.
We stayed about 3 km up the road at Hotel Pescille, ranked
#2 in the area by www.tripadvisor.com . Its a former hilltop
farmhouse, converted to a 3* hotel, with awesome views of
the Gimignano towers on one side and vineyards on the other.
And it has a pool. http://www.pescille.it/pescille/index_en.php.

The only downside was the day we picked to do laundry in
town was a holiday, which meant we washing our clothes in
the sink and hanging them all over the room to dry. =R=

Old July 15th, 2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Veem

We are leaving for Italy tomorrow We will be in Rome a few days, then
driving to Cinque Terre for a few more. Finally, to the Tuscany area.
While we do not have reservations in Tuscany, we have found a really nice
web site with a variety of hotels at a variety of prices. We have contacted
several, to ask about availability, and most of them do have several rooms
available, many with AC. We feel confindent we will find a room easily.
This is the site that seems so helpful:
http://www.tuscany.net/

news

Old July 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mimi

"poldy" wrote in message
news
[...]

I like to stay in or on the outskirts of a not-too-small town; I like to be
within walking distance of a choice of restaurants. Then after a day of
sightseeing, we can have wine with dinner without worrying about driving
back in the dark. And hilltowns can be a little difficult to drive in and
out of. Self-catering rentals rarely have AC. Maybe a hotel will be better
for you, a hotel with AC and parking.

I think Pienza makes a good base in Southern Tuscany. Some people like San
Quirico d'Orcia; it's slightly smaller. In Umbria, Bevagna would make a good
base. And we liked our stay at the Relais di Cannelicchio:
www.relaisilcanalicchio.it/ Both of these are well-located for exploring
Umbria. The Relais has only its own restaurant.

Marianne

Old July 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

poldy wrote:
[...]

I used to stay on Lake Trasimeno..
There are a lot of hotels there.. and apartments for rent.

the advantage is that you are far from the crwods. but very near to almost
everything ( Siena and Perugia for instance )

Umbria is not as expensive and as crowded as Tuscany.

as to Agriturismo. I doubt that they make their own oil or their own wine.
Mostly it is a trick to pay less taxes..
Prices for agriturismo have raised in the last few years..
and it is not so convenient anymore to spend vacations in them.

Traffic is not a concern. this part of italy has not so much heavy traffic.
people do not commute and tourists are not as many as they should be.

Only recently modern roads have be made or are being made.. But if you enjoy
driving and looking at the landscapes.. thsi is your part of italy.

Old July 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_4_]

Following up to poldy wrote:

BTW, how is driving on some of these country roads at night? Or even
during the day? I just returned from driving in the Provence Alpes and
it was a harrying experience at times (winding roads too narrow for
traffic in both directions).

then you probably wont like driving in Italy either.
--
Mike Reid
Cutty Sark appeal"http://www.cuttysark.org.uk"
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Jul 15, 8:08 am, poldy wrote:
[...]

Our favorite place to stay and explore Umbria is the agrotourism place
Colle del Cardinale (www.agrariacolcar.com for pictures and
information - for reservations.) The owner
spent many years in Chicago and speaks English. All of the staff are
exceptionally friendly and helpful and responsive to all questions and
needs. All speak some English and some are fluently multilingual.
The olive oil that they produce is truly exceptional but if you are
not interested in the farm aspects you will not even notice it. It is
located literally just off the main road a few miles outside of
Perugia and close to the "freeway" - an hour or so north of Rome. (We
rent a car at Rome airport and drive north without the hassle of Rome
traffic.) I am by nature a timid driver but I have little difficulty
driving in Italy. On the "freeways" stay to the right except to pass
or you will have
another car hugging your trunk with lights flashing and horn
blaring.) My solution to hill towns is to park in the carpark as
close to the town as possible but not to drive into the town itself.
I avoid driving in Rome itself. Look at the map before hand and have
someone with map in hand ride "shotgun" for you.

There are 5 rooms at the Cardinale inside the main building and two
handicap accessible rooms in a separate building just down the back
steps. All of the rooms have comfortable beds, wonderful linens and
blankets, private bathrooms, and heat that you contol via a remote
control device on the nightstand. So you can sleep cool and warm up
the room before you get out of bed. Bathrooms have separate heaters.
We have stayed in all seasons and find this a wonderfully comfortable
place any time of year. The last time we were there the restaurant
was in the beginning stages of being built but I do not know if it is
yet open. Grocery stores and markets are a short drive away. The
common room where breakfast is served also has a large fireplace and
comfortable sofa and chairs where we sometimes had our evening bottle
of wine. For families or couples traveling together the cardinal's
room and the one next to it can be locked off onto their own hallway -
one room has a double bed, the other two twins - and the children can
play in the private hallway and bother no one. Another room is a
standard twin bedded room with a large low sloped room behind it.
This also works for families (large play room and bedroom for child/
children) or 3 people traveling together. (Note there is no large
window to the outside in this specific room - but skylights make it
airy and light.)

The staff can direct you to local festivals, places of interest,
hiking paths, bicycle rentals and I believe horse rentals. We tend to
have breakfast early, travel to small towns, have dinner out and
return before dark - it stays light until 9 or later in the summer.
Driving after dark in this area is not a problem. It is also a cozy
place to curl up with a book or journal. Enjoy your trip!

Old July 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rog'

"The Reid" wrote:
Following up to poldy wrote:
BTW, how is driving on some of these country roads at night?
Or even during the day?

then you probably wont like driving in Italy either.

I found driving around Tuscan rural roads, highways and
autostrada be very easy and enjoyable. The only issue I
had was looking out for bicyclers around the next bend.
Tuscany is my idea of what heaven should be like. When
I die, I'd expect to arrive at a villa in Tuscany. :-)

Old July 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"tile" kirjoitti

Traffic is not a concern. this part of italy has not so much heavy
traffic. people do not commute and tourists are not as many as they should
be.

I found traffic in Northern Italy easy to cope with. Only on a trip around
Lakes Lugano and Como traffic was a bit hair raising in some of the towns.
Roads were not only narrow and windy but there were practically no shoulders
to pull aside if such a need arose for any reason. Once I was driving under
the arch of a bridge when this one motor home passed me in good speed to the
opposite direction. I found it rather tight around me at that moment.

Old July 17th, 2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
"Mimi" wrote:

I think Pienza makes a good base in Southern Tuscany. Some people like San
Quirico d'Orcia; it's slightly smaller. In Umbria, Bevagna would make a good
base. And we liked our stay at the Relais di Cannelicchio:
www.relaisilcanalicchio.it/ Both of these are well-located for exploring
Umbria. The Relais has only its own restaurant.

Looks nice but kind of pricey.

Do they include all the services listed like mountain bike rentals?

http://www.relaisilcanalicchio.it/En...he_prices.html