Longshoremen Put in Cuffs!

Old June 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Longshoremen Put in Cuffs!

Hi Everyone,

I saw these 3 news' articles of the same incident and thought they
might be of interest:
http://tinyurl.com/7zsfw
http://tinyurl.com/byndk
http://tinyurl.com/a95tf
If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my
web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Old June 9th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Dee Lite

"Karen " wrote in message

I wonder if our Dennis had anything to do with this? ;-)

Karen

Please don't mention that name. It makes me want to puke, and that is not a
pretty sight.

Old June 10th, 2005, 04:59 AM
J Carnaghie

I find it very interesting that the
Longshoreman's Union does not believe
that it is appropriate for Carnival
employees to move the luggage within the
ship.

Background from the Anchorage Daily News:
Unlike other cruise lines, Carnival
chooses not to honor a contract the ILWU
has with Southeast Stevedoring, an
Alaska company that provides
longshoreman service to Carnival and
other lines, Norman said. Last summer,
when cruise ships returned to Whittier
for the first time in a decade, only
Carnival refused to let union workers on
board, opting instead to use foreign
crew members who make $1 to $1.50 an
hour, as opposed to the hourly union
wage of $29, he said.
Cheers,
John

Old June 10th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Longshoremen, the only thing their missing is a gun and mask.

Here in Los Angeles, if they show up for work, they automaticly are
paid for 4 hours work. Even if they are told to go home one minute
later. Do 4, get paid for 6. Do 6 guaranteed 8.

The last strike had to do with using 1980's technology in keeping track
of containers coming off the ships. Union would not lose any workers,
just control of what may fall off the back of the truck. How many weeks
did they stike on this.

Witnessed a longshoremen drive a brand new Toyota off a ship straight
into a wall, totaling it. He got out laughed and returned to the ship
for another car.

On our first cruise, took pictures of the longshoreman throwing bags
for distance. 25 feet before landing somewhere out of view. Our
hardcase American Tourister ended up with a crushed corner.

Old June 11th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Sean

Am I missing something? I always thought the Longshoremen never went
on the ships.....they just transported them from the dock to the ships
hold.

Old June 11th, 2005, 07:09 PM
J Carnaghie

Dear Sean,
They will do whatever the
contracts say the can do! Somehow the
Longshoreman got the ship -owners /
operators to agree to the contract at
Whittier. I can understand why Carnival
wants their own people to handle the
luggage on the ship; they are already
there, they know the ship, and most
importantly they will get paid whether
or not they move the luggage.
At $29 an hour, I'd even consider moving
my own luggage aboard and off; it would
arrive when and where I do and I would
know where it was. Also, I wouldn't
throw it through the air!
Cheers,
John

Old June 11th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Please make a note. In the interest of political correctness, it is
longshorepersons, not longshoremen.

Did Carnival sign a contract with the longshorepersons? If yes, then
the longshorepersons union should file a federal labor complaint with
the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) or sue in Federal court. If,
on the other hand, Carnival did not sign a contract with the union,
then the union and the longshorepersons it represents may be SOL.

John

Old June 12th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Sean

Sean wrote:
Am I missing something? I always thought the Longshoremen never went
on the ships.....they just transported them from the dock to the ships
hold.

Its seems they would be getting paid something anyway wether or not
they continued on the ship. If it is true that they get full pay even
when they don't work the full time, I don't get what they are
complaining about.

Old June 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Plasma

Letting the Longshoremen aboard the ship seems like a significant security
risk to me!
Good for Carnival!

Mike in Ohio