Princess Connects to Shore Power!

Old October 1st, 2004, 02:14 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Princess Connects to Shore Power!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Princess and thought it would be of
interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Princess Ships to Connect to Shore Power in Seattle for 2005 Summer
Season

Line Expands Innovative Program to Reduce Air Emissions

SANTA CLARITA, CA September 30, 2004
Demonstrating Princess' commitment to operate responsibly in the
communities in which it does business, Princess will turn off the
engines of its ships when they dock in Seattle next summer and "plug
in" to the city's electric utility, which relies on hydroelectric
power. This unique shore power project, similar to an arrangement
Princess started in the city of Juneau in 2001, is designed to help
reduce air emissions.
Announced today as part of the West Coast Diesel Emissions Reductions
Collaborative, the program will enable Princess ships in Seattle to
operate with power provided by Seattle City Light. The power will
travel to the ship from a specially designed transformer designed to
supply electricity to run all onboard services during the day-long
calls.

"This initiative is being made possible through a unique collaboration
of public and private entities, the availability of cost-effective
hydroelectric power ashore, and the fact that the technology exists on
our Alaska bound ships which piloted this program," said Dean Brown,
executive vice president, fleet operations for Princess Cruises and
chairman of Princess Tours. "We are very pleased to be able to bring
the shore power program to Seattle, and do our part to reduce fuel
consumption."

Princess' shore power program made history when it first began
operations in Juneau. The program debuted in summer 2001 and now the
technology is featured on seven ships which use local hydroelectric
power when in port.

To create this unusual power system, Princess has outfitted its ships
with a custom-built state-of-the-art electrical connection cabinet
that automatically connects the ship's electrical network to the local
electrical network ashore. The electrical power is transmitted from
the transformer ashore to the vessel via five flexible electrical
cables. The actual cable connection on the vessel is a traditional,
though quite large, male/female plug and socket, adapted from the
Canadian mining industry. The cost to equip each Princess ship with
the connection technology is approximately $500,000.

For the new Seattle project, Princess joins with the Environmental
Protection Agency, the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, the Port of
Seattle and Seattle City Light.

"When we first developed shore power, it was challenging project
because it was the first of its kind and there was no existing
blueprint we could use. Now in Seattle we can draw upon our past
experience in Alaska to bring this successful environmental effort to
a second venue, and show local residents that we care about the air
quality issues that are important to all of us," said Brown.

Old October 1st, 2004, 03:51 PM
Dillon Pyron

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:14:13 -0700, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Princess and thought it would be of
interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Princess Ships to Connect to Shore Power in Seattle for 2005 Summer
Season

What's the big deal? I always connect to shore power.
--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 05:09 AM
Heather

What's the big deal? I always connect to shore power.

It must be one hell of a Marinco Cable. Sounds like it will cost more for the
line in the short and long term. These greenies are out of control...what
next..oars out of the side of each cabin so that the passengers can provide
"clean" propulsion? ....I wonder if the connector is a giant twist lock ;-)

-Heather
Remove CanOspam to email
http://members.aol.com/nookeybear/index1.htm

Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Thomas Smith

This is curious. From what I understand, turning on and off those large
diesel engines isn't exactly like turning on and off your car engine. In
the railroad yards around here, they let the engines idle for days because
it is so hard to turn the engines back on. Now, granted you don't need full
power since the ship won't be doing 21 knots in Seattle Harbor, but this
can't be good from an efficiency standpoint.

Tom Smith

Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:24 PM
Charles

In article ,
Thomas Smith -NO-SPAM wrote:

This is curious. From what I understand, turning on and off those large
diesel engines isn't exactly like turning on and off your car engine.

It would be exactly like it if you have a diesel car engine

My explanation which you can take or leave for the reason the
locomotive engines are left in idle, and don't want to leave them shut
off more than a day is thus. If you do the starting batteries may not
have enough charge. It takes an electric charge to start the engine.
These batteries are rechargable. If you shut the engine off they begin
losing charge. If the batteries run down enough they might not have
enough charge to start the engine. I would guess the ships probably
will use the shore power to start the engine.

--
Charles
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Mike Cordelli

I believe that the two ships listed in the press release below were built
with the intention of turning off the engines in some ports where shore
power is offered, so while it may not be as simple as turning off the car
engine, it's certainly easier then on most other ships:

--------------------------
Seattle offers Shore Power for Cruise Ships
Air emissions will drop by 30 percent when ships are docked
Air emissions from cruise ships docked in Seattle will decrease by 30
percent next year thanks to a new program that provides shore power to the
largest vessels homeported here.

The Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess will use shore power at the
Port's Terminal 30 cruise facility during the 2005 cruise season. The
ability to use electricity generated on shore means the ships no longer have
to run their engines to generate power while docked, significantly reducing
air emissions.

"Princess Cruises, the Environmental Protection Agency, Puget Sound Clean
Air Agency and Seattle City Light are to be commended for working hard to
make shore power a reality in Seattle," said Linda Strout, Deputy CEO of the
Port of Seattle. "We're proud to have partnered with our customer and those
agencies on this effort."

The result is that total air emissions from cruise ships homeported in
Seattle will decline by 30 percent while the ships are docked.

"That's a significant improvement," said Strout.

Princess invested $1.8 million to equip the two newest vessels in its fleet
to run on shore power. The ships were designed and built with the goal of
using shore power while berthed. The EPA has pledged $50,000 in grant money
to Seattle City Light to help cover the costs of infrastructure improvements
related to providing power to the ships. Juneau, Alaska is currently the
only other cruise port in the world that offers shore power to cruise ships.

This voluntary move by Princess to use to shore power in Seattle follows an
agreement last April by cruise lines operating here to reduce wastewater
emissions and implement a new inspection and verification program covering
the handling of wastewater and recyclable materials. That agreement among
the cruise lines, state regulatory agencies and the Port of Seattle gives
this region the cruise industry's strongest wastewater discharge rules.

"The shore power and wastewater agreements provide new protections for the
environment and recognize the economic value of the cruise industry," said
Strout. "They are outstanding examples of what we can achieve when
government and industry work together."