Mandazi recipe

Old July 13th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Pat Anderson

Default Mandazi recipe

In message , Not
the Karl Orff writes
In article ,
(Eupe-mbwa (Wh1t3d0g)) wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:42:14 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have not been able to replicate. It
was more like a deep-fried bread roll than a doughnut (texture was
meatier than a doughnut). Does anyone have a Zanzibari recipe? I have
not been able to find one on the internet.

Here's one from a cookbook we bought in Zan.
2 cups plain flour
5 tbsps sugar
1 cup cocnut milk
1 tsp coarsly ground cardamom
1 sachet yeast
oil for frying

Mix all ingredients with coconut milk and bind into a dough. Leave in
a warm place for 4-5 hours to rise. knead dough well and roll out to
1/2" thick, cut into triangles or required shapes and leave for
further 15 minutes. Deep fry in hot oil on medium heat to a deep tan
colour then drain on kitchen paper.

The trick may be experimenting with yeast and/or standing time, also
the type of oil will affect the flavour. I'd guess that corn oil is
probably used in Zanzibar.

Trying it right now. Will bake then fry some, fry others.

The texture was more like a bread roll than a donut. The ones I've made
have more of the puffy texture of chinese "donuts" (deep fried breakfast
bread sticks)

Karl,
Keep up the good work!
If you are in the US, tell me, who are these webtv people? They seem
like people with nothing to say, certainly wouldn`t know a mandazi if it
bit them!
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Afrika Safaris - Koos Greeff

Oh my - another freak

Date: Fri, Jul 9, 2004, 3:42pm (CDT+5)
From:
(Not the Karl Orff)

I had Mandazis in Zanzibar which I have
not been able to replicate. It was more
like a deep-fried bread roll than a
doughnut (texture was meatier than a
doughnut)

You want something MORE fattening than a donut. If it's from Af'ka it
probably gots some people parts in it. YECH

Old July 13th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Eupe-mbwa

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:09:12 +0100, Pat Anderson
wrote:

If you are in the US, tell me, who are these webtv people? They seem
like people with nothing to say, certainly wouldn`t know a mandazi if it
bit them!

Webtv appears to be a special internet access method for people too
"intellectually challenged" to use a computer. To be fair, there may
be some users with a brain, but if so, they must be sharing it so only
one gets to use it at a time...
--
Eupe mbwa.
Kufa kikondoo, ndiko kufa kiungwana.
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Not
the Karl Orff writes
In article ,
(Eupe-mbwa (Wh1t3d0g)) wrote:

Yep, please let us know how they tasted, I'm tempted to have a go
myself and if they're still not authentic I'll ask the chef to show me
how to make them in Sept or October when we're back in Zan and report
back!

Getting there. Needs more sugar and spices. I think I will get less
refined flour. Maybe add brown flour. I think have to make it more
like a baked bun and then fry it to finish. Just have to get the fry
temp right too. The ones I remember were the ones I had at the Serena
in Stone town - please ask there if you can. Didn't thnink of asking.

Karl,
We also stayed at the Serena in Stonetown when we were in Zanzibar.
I didn`t have any mandazi there though. The coconut prawns were
wonderful.
The Serena group have a website and it shouldn`t be too difficult to
ask them, however I doubt the recipe will be any different to what you
are already trying, or what we have seen both on the Congo cookbook
site, in your cookbook and my Lamu and Kenya Coast books. It`s standard
food really. I`m tempted to have a go myself but I`m counting the
calories!
One thought, there is a lot of maize flour used in East Africa---- in
fact maize is a staple food. They couldn`t be using that could they? As
I said before, wheat flour is used to make bread but who knows if
maize flour is used!? Perhaps I can get some info. from a friend in
Kenya.
I think the oil in your deep fat fryer needs to be very hot.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson