Tips for first time flier?

Old October 8th, 2004, 11:56 PM
PTravel

"Pan" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:17:03 -0700, "PTravel"
wrote:

You should always confirm your seat in advance, and wait until checkin.

US
carriers routinely oversell flights, and will bump passengers. If you

have
a seat assignment, you are far, far less likely to get bumped.

[snip]

Very good advice. Unfortunately, sometimes they won't confirm a seat,
and then you have to take your chances. I was bumped once and was very
angry, had to go home and go back the next day.

Michael

Bumping is outrageous but, unfortunately, quite common. I assume you were
compensated -- airlines are required to compensate involuntarily-bumped
passengers by law.

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the

TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

Old October 8th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Frank F. Matthews

By providing enough space that the person in front clears the process
prior to beginning the processing of the next person. It is more an
issue of space than time. It might need a bit longer secure tunnel for
holding the bags but nothing more. It wouldn't even slow things down.
Then if it were 30-40 more feet until the end of security if there were
someone yelling of a problem they might be able to solve. They might
even be able to avoid some airport clearing exercises when they are slow
to realize that there is a problem.

JamesStep wrote:

There is no reason that they cannot manage
to provide a secure check of both the individual
and their belongings.

I also wish they could do that. But I'm not sure how they
could prevent someone from picking up someone else's
bag -- either accidentally or on purpose -- without resorting
to some kind of claim check system in which you tag your
bags and then an officer checks the bag tags against
your claim check before you are allowed to remove them.
And that would probably mean hiring more staff, as
the person checking the tags wouldn't have time to do
much else.

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-

Old October 9th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Pan

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:56:23 -0700, "PTravel"
wrote:

Bumping is outrageous but, unfortunately, quite common. I assume you were
compensated -- airlines are required to compensate involuntarily-bumped
passengers by law.

Yeah, but the compensation was only a coupon on a full economy fare
with that airline during the next year, and went unused.

Michael

Old October 9th, 2004, 09:42 AM
PTRAVEL

wrote:

Bumping is outrageous but, unfortunately, quite common. I assume you were
compensated -- airlines are required to compensate involuntarily-bumped
passengers by law.

Yeah, but the compensation was only a coupon on a full economy fare
with that airline during the next year, and went unused.

You got taken! Involuntary bumps have to be compensated in cash.

Michael

Old October 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Pan

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 08:42:19 GMT, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Bumping is outrageous but, unfortunately, quite common. I assume you were
compensated -- airlines are required to compensate involuntarily-bumped
passengers by law.

Yeah, but the compensation was only a coupon on a full economy fare
with that airline during the next year, and went unused.

You got taken! Involuntary bumps have to be compensated in cash.

They refused to pay cash! What does one do in such a situation?

Michael