PDX to BKK on China Airlines

Old August 28th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Big Rob in Portland

Default PDX to BKK on China Airlines

Hi all,

I am planning to fly to Bangkok in November. The cheapest flight is
China Airlines. I don't know alot about them. So I have a couple of
questions for those who have flown them

1. How do they rate compared with other airlines in terms of service?

2. I am 6'4. How are the seats in coach? Will I be really cramped for
the 15+ hour flight? (This is the most importnat question)

3. How is their Business Class? They sell BC tickets for $2,600. Coach
is 833. This is my Honeymoon so I was thinking of making the splurge!

4. I appreciate any and all comments so please respond.

Thanks,

Robert
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Blake S

"Big Rob in Portland" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I am planning to fly to Bangkok in November. The cheapest flight is
China Airlines. I don't know alot about them. So I have a couple of
questions for those who have flown them

1. How do they rate compared with other airlines in terms of service?

2. I am 6'4. How are the seats in coach? Will I be really cramped for
the 15+ hour flight? (This is the most importnat question)

3. How is their Business Class? They sell BC tickets for $2,600. Coach
is 833. This is my Honeymoon so I was thinking of making the splurge!

4. I appreciate any and all comments so please respond.

Thanks,

Robert

Rob, I would suggest that you check out EVA airways out of Seattle. They
have something in-between economy class and business class called "Evergreen
Deluxe". The connection through Taipei is quick and easy. The only
downside is the flight leaves Seattle at 3:30 in the morning. I use this
service quite often.

Also, I would check out Northwest Airlines as they now have a
Portland-Narita (Tokyo) flight which will make your trip much faster. You
can connect to BKK from Narita. If you fly after September, then NW will be
using a brand-new A330 jet with personal TV's on the PDX-NRT route.

China Airlines has a terrible safety record and I refuse to fly them.
Besides, you will have 2 connections each way.

Old August 28th, 2004, 03:18 AM
RRH

China Airlines is a SAFE - but one of the world's least safe - airline, You
want the CHEAPEST ticket, but you bother about an inch or two of additional
seat pitch? Well, if your 6 or 7 ft high and have about the same width,
don't bother: the Chinese live healthier and have a better looking size. So
you will hardly fit comfortably into a Chinese (or Taiwanese) seat. And
since you want it even cheaper, why do you even bother...staying home is
cheapest. And your new wife won't even notice what a bugger you are....

Richard

Old August 28th, 2004, 05:49 AM
lilo

China airlines is the least luxurious, and economical. you do alright
if you sit near the emergency exit because there is no sit in front of
you.

Old August 28th, 2004, 09:14 AM
ash

I travel China Airlines from Amsterdam to BKK regularly and have always
found them to be very good.

Old August 28th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Big Rob in Portland

Damn Richard! Ease up on me. Why am I a bugger for trying to get all
the facts before I fly? It's a long freakin' flight and I am trying to
gather information. Did you notice I also inquired about Business
Class? I don't necessary know which airline to go. I could go Cathay
Pacific. I heard they are really nice. Plus their deal of the month is
Bangkok for 636/700 with tax. The problem is I have to book a separate
ticket to SFO/LAX. I am screwed if there is a delay.

My main concern is this: Is China Arlines the SouthWest Airlines of
Asia? Meaning Cattle car all the way. Or is economy class decent
enough for a felow my size(6'4) without having my knees firmly in the
chair in front of me? After all, the plane arrives at the same time no
matter what class of ticket you fly. I could use the difference and
stay at much nicer hotels.

Big Rob in Portland.

Old August 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Big Rob in Portland

Thanks for the info. I will check them out. Do you think EVA is better
the China Airlines? I flew NW from PDX to Indy and they were lousy. No
inflight entertainment, poor service. How is NW overseas?

Big Rob in Portland.

Old August 29th, 2004, 03:10 AM
devil

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 04:18:57 +0200, RRH wrote:

China Airlines is a SAFE

Meaningless statement. No such a thing as "safe" or "unsafe." You might
mean something like "safe enough." But then try explaining what is "safe
enough" for you.

- but one of the world's least safe - airline,

It's one of the most unsafe, but it may well have improved lately.

Used to lose one double aisle plane per year, roughly. Cases of crew
drinking in some instances. This said, they only lost one in the last
four or five years and apparently it was not their fault, but someone
else's (possibly Boeing, not sure.) Perhaps it's the KMT (their owner)
losing power that led them to shape up?

Old August 29th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Miguel Cruz

Big Rob in Portland wrote:
My main concern is this: Is China Arlines the SouthWest Airlines of
Asia? Meaning Cattle car all the way.

Southwest has some of the most generous legroom among US carriers.

Or is economy class decent enough for a felow my size(6'4) without having
my knees firmly in the chair in front of me? After all, the plane arrives
at the same time no matter what class of ticket you fly.

In my experience with them (just a few trips), they use new 747s for the
transpacific segment and dilapidated rustbuckets for the intra-Asia
flights.
While the transpacific component isn't particularly luxurious, I'm taller
than you and I've lived to tell the tale.

miguel