India with a pregnant woman

Old November 15th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Markku Grönroos

Default India with a pregnant woman

"Bijapuri" wrote in message
This thread is cute
1.no one has heard from the woman herself. I can't imagine why someone

that

Who the hell wants to hear a female opinion ?

Old November 16th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Montecore

Kris ) wrote:
: Mmm, I'm sure there's some other place you could go to. Why not head
: to Thailand or something? I sure as hell would not risk it. I mean, we
: ARE we're talking about INDIA!

Right. People NEVER get pregnant in India, no one has babies there, no
one ever travels while pregnant there.

Alfred - to answer a general question about traveling while 5 months
pregnant - ask your doctor.

To answer a specific question about traveling to India while pregnant -
that depends on your budget/service level used. You can rent a Mercedes,
stay at 5 star hotels and it would be just as if you were at home. You
can even take AC trains, AC cabs and stay in mid-range hotels, and as long
as you watch what you eat/drink (bottled water only!), you should still be
ok. Obviously, buses and rickshaws are a no-no.

Ask your doc, really -he's the best person to advise you, not us.

--
Vandit Kalia
this space for rent

Old November 17th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Vinnie

Kris wrote in message . ..
I did not say that. Someone else talked about child mortality rate in
India. Think about that for a second.

India's high child mortality rate is heavily weighted by the people
living at/below the poverty line, who are illiterate and dont
understand the concept of preventive medication, who are unable to pay
for medical care, who live in unsanitary conditions and who lack
proper diet.

None of this applies to the rich of India who are able to afford a
good standard of living. By the same token, none of it applies to the
original poster (unless he is planning to go live in a slum, which I
doubt).

Now, if the OP were to go on bus rides, drink tap water and eat/sleep
at Lonely Planet Budget restaurants/hotels, then yes, he'd be asking
for trouble. But he doesnt have to. He can go stay at the Taj or the
Oberois, travel by air-con cars, eat pasta/chicken and drink bottled
water made by Coca Cola.

I run a dive shop in India, so I have a good idea of what is and isnt
available here.

The issue has nothing to do with India per se, but more to do with the
OP's wife's ability to deal with the exertion of traveling, the
bumpiness of the roads, the impact of prophylactic medication on
her/baby's health and other similar issues. These are best answered
not by us, but by his wife's doctor.

Cheers,
Vandit (using different email account)
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:41 PM
ViCtiM Of ThE CSSD!!

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message ...
"Bijapuri" wrote in message
This thread is cute
1.no one has heard from the woman herself. I can't imagine why someone

that

Who the hell wants to hear a female opinion ?

uhhh... Excuse me??
And this from a guy supposedly from a more 'developed' country! :P
Remind me never to tell my Indian friends that 'they' are backward
when they make a sexist remark!
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:55 AM
Montecore

Thomas F. Unke ) wrote:
: I don't understand why some people seem to believe that bus travel in
: India is a cheap way of getting an abortion.
:
: It is not. There are comfortable busses and the major roads in
: Rajasthan are not bad at all.

Conmsidering I have lived in India for 15 years a while aog, and still
spend a considerable amount of time there, I'll point out that most bus
services in India are NOT anything like the few luxury buses the RTDC
runs.

There is a lot more to India and for the most part, the buses/long
distance road system is not exactly the winning formula for comfort.

Also, I fail to understand what part of my post led you to believe that I
am saying bus ride = abortion. I dont think a pregnant person would be
too comfortable traveling on a bus by road in India.

--
Vandit Kalia
this space for rent

Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:03 AM
Montecore

Thomas F. Unke ) wrote:
: This is not the question. The question is: is being pregnant in India
: of higher risk than being pregnant in Europe. I'd say: yes.

And as I point out in my other post, it doesnt have to be.

: To answer a specific question about traveling to India while pregnant -
: that depends on your budget/service level used. You can rent a Mercedes,
: stay at 5 star hotels and it would be just as if you were at home.
:
: No, it is not. You can travel by busses and rickshaws as well.

Right. As I said, it depends on your budget/service level used.

: The
: question is not a matter of comfort, but a matter of medical help if
: some unexpected things happen.

There *ARE* some top-notch hospitals here, you know. As a FYI, India is
emerging as a center for medical tourism. A lot of Indian immigrants
living overseas (including UK and US) come to India for surgery b/c the
overall level of medical care is higher than it is at home.

: Any doc would certainly advise against it, of course. Not because of
: real risks, but to protect himself.
:
: Finally Alfred and his wife have to decide it themselves. There is a
: certain risk, and they have to be aware of it.

The doctor can advise them on the level of physical activity that is
appropriate. Then they can decide whether or not their particular tour
fits the bill.

There is a risk everytime his wife leaves the house. The question is -
how incremental is the risk when in India?

At this point, I doubt if even the OP is following the thread, and I have
nothing new to add anymore, so I am bowing out of the discussion.
Whatever the OP decides, I wish him, his wife and the soon-toc0ome baby
the best.

Cheers,
Vandit

--