Angkor Wat experiences

Old December 4th, 2003, 01:35 AM
 @X.

Default Angkor Wat experiences

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:25:56 +0800, Don
wrote:

Good or bad?

Guided tour or individual travel?

I was there Saturday. Went alone and just hired a motodop for the day
at the airport for $8. Conniving little ******* he was but I am
familiar with the games motodops play so I kept him in check. He
could have seriously led some people astray though. Probably the
worst I encountered in Cambodia. You have to be specific with those
guys and more or less have to guide them because if you let them guide
you, you will likely get a tour of all the places that pay the best
commissions to motodops instead of seeing what you want to see. Still
I had a great time and saw everything I possibly could in the time I
had. Conniving as he was, he still behaved when I told him what we
were going to do. Ankor Wat was awesome as was Banyon. I wish I had
more time there but I don't feel I could have possible seen any more
in the time I had. If I was on a tour I surely would have not seen
much of the stuff I did, since I move so much faster on my own and
cover more area quickly. Just be aware you are in Scambodia and
everything is not always what it appears when you are dealing with
people. Most are good and honest but in Siem Riep more than anywhere
there are people who will lead you astray.
Old December 4th, 2003, 02:46 PM
ExpatNL

"Sally Davis" wrote in message
I was at Angkor Wat just a few weeks ago. The entrance fee is now an
obligatory 3-day pass (cost $20.00 USD). Upon entry, you will have an
ID photo taken, which wil be enclosed in plastic and must be kept on
your person at all times and shown to guards upon request. (You get to
keep the photo). My travel companion and I had a car, driver and guide.
Since it was off-season, it wasn't too crowded. The whole area was
spectacular, but there is a "tourist route" which can be followed.
Reading up on the site is definitely recommended. You could probably
spend a week there, just looking around. There is a balloon
ride($10.00USD) which is well worth it to see the area from the air. An
official guide is also well worth the money, if you have it to spare.
Cambodian prices are much less expensive than in many of the places I've
visited. Enjoy....it's awesome!
Sallyd@WebTV

i put it off for a while but just this last summer i decided not to
procrastinate any longer after my autumn south america trip. saw on BBC
news [in the summer] that they were thinking about introducing restrictions
as the ever increasing influx of tourists is doing damages to the site.
that's why i promised myself after south america i would see this impressive
angkor wat [and other archeological sites] before they turned it into machu
picchu. it's most likely to become another machu picchu in due time, though
i was very impressed with machu picchu especially after doing the very
physically intensive 4 day Inka Trail walk.

Old December 12th, 2003, 04:25 PM
WayneHazle

Good or bad?

Guided tour or individual travel

Outstanding!! One of the greatest trips I have eve taken.

Hire a personal guide. I can email you the name of the one I used. $20/day +
$20/day for a car. Take lots of film, including some black and white.

http://www.waynehazle.com/travel/

Wayne A. Hazle
/www.waynehazle.com/
www.jaguarfilms.com/
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:26 PM
WayneHazle

Wow. Lucky doing it way back then. I imagine now it is more of a
"tourist attraction".

Went in 2001, still pretty uncorrupted. Give it a few more years after all the
hotels are finished.

Wayne A. Hazle
/www.waynehazle.com/
www.jaguarfilms.com/
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:28 PM
WayneHazle

There is a balloon
ride($10.00USD) which is well worth it to see the area from the air.

Wow this wasn't there in 2001. I would have loved this.

Wayne A. Hazle
/www.waynehazle.com/
www.jaguarfilms.com/
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:29 PM
WayneHazle

they were thinking about introducing restrictions
as the ever increasing influx of tourists is doing damages to the site.
that's why i promised myself after south america i would see this impressive
angkor wat [and other archeological sites] before they turned it into machu
picchu. it's most likely to become another machu picchu in due time, though
i was very impressed with machu picchu especially after doing the very
physically intensive 4 day Inka Trail walk.

I just went to Machu Picchu last week, a great experience, but Angkor Wat was a
hundred times better.

I guess there was just more to see in the whole area.

Wayne A. Hazle
/www.waynehazle.com/
www.jaguarfilms.com/
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Robert

Angkor Wat and Cambodia in general, are still my favourite destination in
the world. The people are great, and as I happen to be a photographer, it
is a dream shoot at the temples.

I would hire a personal guide, and get the local guidebook on the ruins.
Learn a few words of Khmer (the local language) which is pretty easy.
SO-SA-DIE = HELLO
AW-KOON = THANK-YOU
AW-KOON TOM TOM = THANK-YOU BIG BIG

What can I say it is a fun language.

I have been there twice and would go back in a heart beat. Don't forget to
leave some time to explore the town. Most people only see the temples and
they miss so much of the local flavor. Go to the silk factory; the carving
school; the markets; and the Cambodia Butterfly Garden. The latter is a
real treat (yes he is a friend but I would plug it anyways as it is such an
oasis and he is really a great guy). great food for lunch as well.
www.geocities.com/cambodiabutterfly

For Guest Houses I would probably stay at Home Sweet Home which is well run.

Other than that ....have a great time in a great place!
Robert