Asia Trip Itinerary

Old January 9th, 2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the responses. How about this:

( $1,476.31 )
11:15 am Depart Washington DC (IAD)
Arrive Tokyo (NRT) 3:20 pm +1 day Fri 18-Mar
Duration: 14hr 5mn United Airlines 9681

6:45 pm Depart Tokyo (NRT)
Arrive Hong Kong (HKG) 10:55 pm Sat 26-Mar
Duration: 5hr 10mn United Airlines 891

9:40 am Depart Hong Kong (HKG)
Arrive Shanghai (PVG) 11:50 am Wed 30-Mar
Duration: 2hr 10mn China Eastern Airlines 594

12:00 pm Depart Beijing (PEK)
Arrive Washington DC (IAD) 6:04 pm Sat 9-Apr
Duration: 19hr 4mn United Airlines 888 / 188
Connect in San Francisco (SFO)

This way:

1. It is cheaper
2. I get a direct flight from DC to Tokyo
3. I dont go to Seoul
4. I get to Japan early for Cherry blossoms
5. Shanghai to Beijing is flexible- I can take a train, go to Xian, etc.

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:05 PM

How is Japan in March? Is it very cold? Is it worth pushing the trip by
2 weeks and sacrificing cherry blossoms?

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Old January 10th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Amoeba

it's quite difficult to predict the cherry blossoms. Here's a webpage
showing the dates of cherry blossoms in the past 2 years.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_when.html

???
oups.com ???...

Old January 10th, 2005, 09:48 PM
John W.

Hi,

Any thoughts on this itinerary? I know that it is an ambitious

schedule
with the number of cities involved. Only city that I am not sure

about
is Seoul. I want feedback on the price and duration (am I better of
spending a day more in Shanghai as opposed to Hong Kong, etc.). Is

Xian
worth visiting? If so, can I accommodate in this schedule (or, do I

not
go to Seoul)? I am also thinking of advancing the trip by a week so
that I can be in Tokyo for the peak Cherry Blossoms. I am planning to
visit Tokyo and Kyoto in Japan. Is Mount Fuji worth visiting, if I am
not planning to climb it?

No, but worth looking at. Go to the lakes around Fuji, Kamakura, etc.
Make sure you factor in the price of a Japan rail pass; there are
passes for regions as well as the whole of Japan.

I plan to buy the tickets by next week. Your feedback is greatly
appreciated.
Srini

UA 851 01APR IADORD 9.45A/10.58A (Washington DC - Chicago)
UA 895 01APR ORDHKG 12.15P/6.05P 02APR (Chicago-Hong Kong)
KA 898 08APR HKGPVG 9.00A/11.15A (Hong Kong-Shanghai)
CA1590 12APR SHAPEK 8.55A/10.45A (Shanghai-Beijing)
KE 854 16APR PEKICN 7.55A/10.55A (Beijing-Seoul)
UA 800 16APR ICNNRT 12.05P/2.25P (Seoul-Tokyo)
UA 884 23APR NRTORD 2.20P/11.50A (Tokyo-Chicago)
UA 388 23APR ORDIAD 1.15P/4.12P (Chicago-Washington DC)
FARE USD 1773.51 TAX INCL

If you're planning on going to Seoul, why not get yourself a rail pass
and travel down from Tokyo to Kyushu, take the ferry to Pusan (an
interesting city) and then go from Pusan to Seoul and fly out of there?
I'm not sure how that'll affect your price, but it'd let you see more
of Japan than the average tourist and also more of Korea; the more
interesting spot is Kyongju. Actually, you could also take a ferry from
Korea to China if you're so inclined. Personally I like to take trains
and boats more than airplanes.

John W.