Tourist visas for Indonesia

Old January 23rd, 2004, 04:30 AM
anggraeni

Default Tourist visas for Indonesia

hi all.

I am Indonesian now living in USA. I can give you some infos about whats
going on with visa thing.

Personally I disagree with that new visa law thing. Indonesia surely
needs alot tourists to build back all the tourism bussiness that have
been torn apart from the bombing things. Yes, having to apply (and pay)
for visa will make some tourists think twice to come. Just to let you
know, bribing is also popular there. Some officers will also ask for few
more for this and that, shamelessly. Its been reported in newspaper but
I dont see any change.

For the Indonesians, you have to pay Rp. 100.000 ( about 12-13 US
dollar) AND Rp. 1.000.000 (about 120 dollar) before leaving the country.
So guys, you foreigners have to pay 25 dollars to get in, we Indonesian
needs to pay more than 130 dollar to get out! Even for medical reason,
because some of us want to go to some country to have medical treatment!

Now, to some embassy that requires visa to come to their country. For
example, US Embassy's visa is 100 dollar. And even though they dont give
you the visa, you cant have your 100 dollars back. Its theirs.

Its all about the money. Oh my.

Have a nice day!

anggraeni

Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Sjoerd

"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
I can't even begin to recall how many times I've heard this and
similar "doom's day" statements about tourism in Indonesia or Thailand
or wherever. "If they don't do things the way I want then tourism will
collapse and all the people will suffer". Yet tourism goes on.
Increases, usually. The number of people who choose not to travel to a
specific spot is immeasurably small.

Compare international tourism to Indonesia with international tourism to
Thailand. Compare the size of the countries and the potential for tourism in
both places. Could it be that so many more people travel to Thailand because
it is easier, cheaper and generally less hassle to go there than to go to
Indonesia? With the new visa rules, Indonesia is shooting itself in the
foot. I agree with you, many people will still go. But at least some people
will skip Indonesia for a more welcoming place. And all those backpackers
who used to stay in Indonesia for 60 days will now have to leave after 30
days and many will decide not to come back.

Sjoerd

Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:39 PM
Tchiowa

"Sjoerd" wrote in message ...
[...]

Fair or unfair, right or wrong, many of the decisions being made for
tourism (both in Indonesia and Thailand) seem clearly aimed at telling
backpackers they are not welcome.

While it is only a minority creating problems, the problems they
create (drug use, working illegally, sanitation, destruction of
environment, public intoxication, fighting, crime, etc.) are leading
many countries to say "enough is enough".

The majority are paying the price for the minority. But that's the way
the world works.
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Miguel Cruz

Tchiowa wrote:
Fair or unfair, right or wrong, many of the decisions being made for
tourism (both in Indonesia and Thailand) seem clearly aimed at telling
backpackers they are not welcome.

Meanwhile Australia is trying to figure out how to get more.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 26th, 2004, 04:31 AM
ptlabs

Originally posted by Eac
It should be noted that you're

from one of these countries below, then you shouldn't be squeaking at
all:

- Singapore
- Malaysia
- Thailand
- Brunei
-

Phillipine
- Hong Kong
- Chili
- Morroco
- Turkey
- Peru

http://www.kbri-canberra.org.au/regu...es1032003e.htm

Turkey has been removed from this list of 'privileged' and Vietname
inserted.

Peter

--
This post is an expression of opinion and is neither legal nor immigration advice.