safe travel in Malaysia?

Old March 4th, 2005, 04:47 AM
dajaxon

Thanks Michael.
This was the best reply I have seen in this group ina long time. It's
appreciated.
I think the others just like to see themselves in print and have no lcue
about travel in these places.

DJ
=======================

U.S., generally speaking - and I don't feel afraid for my life too
often in the U.S., either. There are a lot of road accidents, but
again, I didn't feel too endangered on the road, either.

So to sum up: Just go and have a good time!

And though people speak English a great deal in Kuala Lumpur, it could
only help you to learn some Malay. This is much more true if you have
any thoughts of visiting the East Coast (Kelantan, Terengganu), which
you should do, time allowing.

Michael

Old March 4th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Pan

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:37:53 GMT, "dajaxon" wrote:

no but I also do not look Malay - and the pot belly and stupid look on my
face give me away as an idiot, hated American

I hope you're joking. Don't travel with that kind of attitude.
Americans aren't widely hated in Malaysia, though Bush is.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old March 4th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Pan

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:39:49 GMT, "dajaxon" wrote:

the question was two fold

some cities have more thieves targeting toruists than others and so cameras
are a sign
some countries like Malay are Muslim who hate Americans

You're sounding like a troll now. What are you trying to say? Thieves
are anti-American???

Why don't you lurk on soc.culture.malaysia for a while to see how
people have been discussing crime and issues of policing and personal
behavior there.

Old March 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Pan

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:47:35 GMT, "dajaxon" wrote:

Thanks Michael.
This was the best reply I have seen in this group ina long time. It's
appreciated.
I think the others just like to see themselves in print and have no lcue
about travel in these places.

I think you're dismissing some of them too quickly.

But the point is, you're very unlikely to be targetted for being an
American. When's the last time an American was killed in Malaysia?
Must be quite a long time ago, because I can't remember.

Old March 4th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Miguel Cruz

dajaxon wrote:
the question was two fold

some cities have more thieves targeting toruists than others and so cameras
are a sign
some countries like Malay are Muslim who hate Americans

Is this a serious question or just some dumb troll?

I am an American living in Malaysia and I've never met a Malaysian who
claims to hate Americans.

Additionally, I've been to an awful lot of Muslim countries and never found
much anti-American sentiment anywhere. Anti-American-government sentiment,
sure, by the bucketload. But very rarely directed at individuals.

So, on the off chance you're being serious, I think both your general
assumption (Muslims hate Americans) and your specific deduction (Malaysians,
of whom about 60% are Muslim, hate Americans) are way off base.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissä

I am an American living in Malaysia and I've never met a Malaysian who
claims to hate Americans.

I met this one barmy in George Town a few years back who had something to
say (very loudly and anxiously) about South Africa and apartheid. I was
stupid enough to cross his path next day and again he started to follow me
preaching on the Evil in South Africa.

Old March 4th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 08:34:36 GMT, Pan wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:39:49 GMT, "dajaxon" wrote:

the question was two fold

some cities have more thieves targeting toruists than others and so cameras
are a sign
some countries like Malay are Muslim who hate Americans

You're sounding like a troll now. What are you trying to say? Thieves
are anti-American???

Of course it's a troll. The key words 'american' and 'muslims' should
have given it away immediately.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com