Old Conventional Wisdom Locks on Softsides

Old October 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
TOliver

Default Old Conventional Wisdom Locks on Softsides

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Dave Frightens Me:
I use cable ties too whenever I go anywhere near Asia, as you are more
concerned about someone putting something in than taking something
out!

As in drugs to smuggle? Or illegal stuff to set you up for police
extortion?
--

The classic vehicle from decades past.....Baggage handlers (mith Mafia
connections) in Rome inserting packages of Turkish Delight (heroin, much of

A precursor of "The French Connection", you could always recognize the FBI
men in Naples and Rome by their heavy-soled wingtip shoes, then de rigeur in
the Bureau.

TMO

Old October 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

B Vaughan wrote:

My biggest worry would be losing the key and having to cut open the
bag myself.

That's why I choose combination locks! (True, I MIGHT
forget the combination, but that's harder than losing a key.)

Old October 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
B Vaughan

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 09:46:49 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

My biggest worry would be losing the key and having to cut open the
bag myself.

That's why I choose combination locks! (True, I MIGHT
forget the combination, but that's harder than losing a key.)

I once used a combination lock on a suitcase. However, I had trouble
opening it at the other end, for some reason I never figured out. I
had to break the lock. I had chosen a combination that I use often for
other things, so I'm sure I didn't forget it. Either the lock was
defective or it was too difficult to align the numbers correctly, or I
needed to do two spins, or something like that. In any case, I don't
need those hassles after a long voyage. I just don't lock the luggage.
I've never lost anything.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
Runge

No one cares

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...

Old October 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
Dave Frightens Me

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:16:25 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Dave Frightens Me:
I use cable ties too whenever I go anywhere near Asia, as you are more
concerned about someone putting something in than taking something
out!

As in drugs to smuggle? Or illegal stuff to set you up for police extortion?

Both are possible. Both are huge acts of injustice.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Thanks everyone for your advice. You are basically confirming what I
had surmised. The plastic ties will be my "protection" while in
transit. I do own the TSA locks which I will use whenever I think a
lock is advised. Since 9/11 I have not had anything stolen out of my
unlocked luggage during transit, but I try to make sure there is
nothing valuable or enticing in the checked luggage.

Old October 8th, 2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
glenn P

Signed, as in what you do on your credit card. The trick to preventing
tampering with these is gently heating with a lighter, twisting the tail.

As I travel Asia through/to on almost all my jobs, this is the main reason I
do it too, and I have just started photographing my bag with ties on the
conveyor belt.

Saves on legal fees defending yourself for something you didn't do!

"Dave Frightens Me" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:49:31 +1000, "glenn P"
wrote:

I think locks are a waste of time. You are not seriously keeping anyone
out
of your bag, just stopping snoopers.

When travelling light with a soft bag, I use signed cable ties. Not for
"security", but for tamper evidence.

What do you mean by 'signed'?

Old October 8th, 2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
Bert Hyman

In "glenn P"
wrote:

When travelling light with a soft bag, I use signed cable ties. Not
for "security", but for tamper evidence.

Tamper evidence? What more evidence do you need than to find that the
cable tie has been cut off entirely?

Of course when that happens, you'll feel much better to find the little
note from TSA in your bag.

It's for your own good.

Do it for the children.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

glenn P wrote:
Signed, as in what you do on your credit card. The trick to preventing
tampering with these is gently heating with a lighter, twisting the tail.

As I travel Asia through/to on almost all my jobs, this is the main reason I
do it too, and I have just started photographing my bag with ties on the
conveyor belt.

Saves on legal fees defending yourself for something you didn't do!

Are there any comfirmed cases of this happening to anyone in, say, the
last 10 years, or is this just an urban legend?

Old Conventional Wisdom Locks on Softsides [email protected] Air travel 27 November 17th, 2006 11:51 PM
TSA locks: does TSA break them? void Air travel 4 May 21st, 2006 06:28 PM
New locks are key to luggage inspections Ablang Air travel 0 May 10th, 2004 03:37 AM
Search Alert Luggage Tags Jacqui B. Cruises 13 May 5th, 2004 06:05 AM
Warning: Do NOT buy TSA-certified locks. void Asia 15 January 31st, 2004 07:06 PM