One day in Paris

Old October 29th, 2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Carole

Default One day in Paris

We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.
Thanks.
Carole
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Otter

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Carole wrote:

We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.

If you have never spent a few hours in the Pere LaChaisse
cemetery you should consider that. if you have any interest in
history and the military you might check out Les Invalides, which
has an impressive collection of armour. Immedieatly to the south
of that is the Church of the the Golden Dome which houses
Napoleon's tomb.

And nearby is the Rodin Museum, if you have any interest in European
sculpture since the David..

Old October 30th, 2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ronald Hands

Carole wrote:
We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days.

Many tourists seem unaware that you can go to the top of the Arc de
Triomphe and enjoy some great views (and get some good pictures) from
there -- toward La Defense and also down the length of the Champs
Elysee. We had a three-day museum pass, which I believe covered the
admission (it was several years ago and the details are becoming a
little hazy), and we were able to take the elevator to the top, perhaps
a concession to our advanced age (or maybe they just didn't want bodies
cluttering up the stairs).

There's a pedestrian subway from the Champs Elysee over to the base
of the arch, under the 12 lanes or so of Parisian motorists circling the
monument.

-- Ron
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

Carole wrote:
We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.

Take a day trip to Chartres.

Old October 30th, 2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul[_3_]

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:40:34 GMT, Carole wrote:

We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
MuseŽ d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.
Thanks.
Carole

A day trip to the chateau Vaux le Vicomte.

It is claimed to have been the inspiration for the construction of
Versailles.

Nearest station is Melun; 40-50 mins from central Paris on the RER or
Transilien, then a taxi to the chateau.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaux-le-Vicomte

Old October 30th, 2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_2_]

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:40:34 +0000, Carole wrote*:

We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles. Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the day.
Thanks.
Carole

Visit medieval Paris, Chapelle Royale, Notre Dame de Paris, cross the
bridge and go to the latin quarter, stroll in rue de la huchette, rue du
chat qui peche, see the musee de cluny, Panthéon, Saint Germain des Pres

--
Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do
it himself. -- A.H. Weiler

Old October 30th, 2006, 10:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
LordAvalon

Visit the new museum inaugurated by Chirac a few months ago; first
visitors where really interested:

"An unpartitioned geographical itinerary comprising 3,500 artefacts
from all four corners of the world.

At the end of the 'ramp', the long winding walkway that spirals up
from the reception hall, the permanent collections area presents the
great geographical regions in which the Musée du quai Branly's
remarkable collections originated: Oceania, Asia, Africa and the
Americas. The visitor makes his way fluidly across them, taking in the
major crossroads between civilisations and cultures: Asia-Oceania,
Insulindia, and Mashreck-Maghreb.

The 3,500 artefacts are presented so as to highlight the historical
depth of the cultures that produced them, and the many different
meanings that the works themselves possess. The museography encourages
the visitor to take the time to inform himself on major thematic areas:
masks and tapa in Oceania, costume in Asia, and African musical
instruments and textiles form the subjects of a series of fascinating
video presentations."

http://www.quaibranly.fr/index.php?id=1&L=1

And I have heard that the gardens are very relaxing.

Old October 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Gee

"JuanElorza" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:40:34 +0000, Carole wrote :

We have a short stay in Paris between Christmas and New Years and are
looking for a plan for one of the days. We have been to the Louvre
and
Museé d'Orsay, Montmarte, Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, and Versailles.
Any
suggestions for either an excursion or something in the city for the
day.
Thanks.
Carole

Visit medieval Paris, Chapelle Royale, Notre Dame de Paris, cross the
bridge and go to the latin quarter, stroll in rue de la huchette, rue
du
chat qui peche, see the musee de cluny, Panthéon, Saint Germain des
Pres

Juan makes good suggestions. I would add the archaeological crypt
under Notre-Dame square. Just 50 metres from the front of the cathedral,
it shows the history of Paris as uncovered "layer by layer", dating from
the third century. Worth a short visit.

Also at Les Invalides, the new permanent exhibits on World Wars I & 2, a
huge 3-year project just opened. Really good, especially the section on
espionage and the Resistance in occupied France during WW II.

Old October 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

"Magda" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:39:33 -0600, in rec.travel.europe, Dave Smith
... If you have never spent a few hours in the Pere LaChaisse
... cemetery you should consider that.

In winter, in the cold, maybe under the rain. Right.

Yeah, so, it's just weather. I spent hours in the Père Lachaise in February
2001 ... cold, grey, brimming with portent, and utterly fascinating.
Cemeteries need gloom to heighten their effect, although I also had a very
pleasant wander around Rome's non-Catholic cemetery in June 2006, which is
also brilliant in its own way.

Cheers,

George W. Russell
Bangalore