Fish and Chips in London

Old June 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Jiminy

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:21:17 GMT, (Rob) wrote:

Schnitzel, which before being told it was invented in Italy, I would have said
was something Germanic.

cotoletta alla milanese
best,

Jiminy
Old June 12th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:20:49 GMT, Jiminy wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:21:17 GMT, (Rob) wrote:

Schnitzel, which before being told it was invented in Italy, I would have said
was something Germanic.

cotoletta alla milanese

Just try to find one in Milan...
--
---
DFM -
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:57 AM
randee

We spent a few days in Bozen a year or two ago, and I don't recall
hearing much, if any, Italian spoken. In the hotels, museums,
restaurants, shops and market I recall it to be almost exclusively
German. Actually more like the German I heard a few months ago in
Austria rather than, say, Schweitzerdeutsch. An hour or two south in
Verona, German seemed to be almost unknown.
--
wf.

Tim Challenger wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:35:12 GMT, Jiminy wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:03:59 GMT, (Rob) wrote:

I have, but in the 'German' part of Italy.

Where's that?

Ortsei

Ortisei, Bolzano (Bozen in German)

best,

Jiminy

Bozen/Bolzano is predominantly Italian-speaking. It's right on the language
border. North and east of it it's mostly German, south and west it's mostly
Italian.
--
Tim C.

Old June 18th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I had fish and chips served in a newspaper in Belfast in 1999. I was
with a French women. We were not impressed. That said, I can understand
the longing. During my 10 months in Europe I would have killed for a
taco and a Molsen Dry.

During my two years in Toronto, I never saw a fish and chip place. I
moved to Oshawa (40 km away) and counted 20. I suspect it is the same
with London and England. The cosmopolitan crowd doesn't go for it
whereas in low immigration places it is still part of the local fabric.

Sam