Rome airport taxi ripp off

Old February 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
tile

Default Rome airport taxi ripp off

28 taxi drivers are being investigated by Police
for asking as much as 200 eur for a ride between rome airport and rome
town.-

the normal cost does not exceed eur 50.00

Old February 5th, 2004, 03:58 PM
devil

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:45:30 +0000, tile wrote:

28 taxi drivers are being investigated by Police
for asking as much as 200 eur for a ride between rome airport and rome
town.-

the normal cost does not exceed eur 50.00

And the train works quite well.
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Ken Blake

In news devil typed:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:45:30 +0000, tile wrote:

28 taxi drivers are being investigated by Police
for asking as much as 200 eur for a ride between rome airport

and
rome town.-

the normal cost does not exceed eur 50.00

And the train works quite well.

Although the train is fine, you typically need to take a taxi
from Stazione Termini to your hotel anyway. If you're two or
three people, the cost of the taxi from the airport may not be a
whole lot more than the cost of two or three train tickets plus
the taxi to the hotel. And it's certainly much more convenient
and faster (no waiting) to take the taxi.

I've done it both ways, but these days I more typically take a
taxi.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old February 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM
freeda

28 taxi drivers are being investigated by Police
for asking as much as 200 eur for a ride between rome airport and rome
town.-

the normal cost does not exceed eur 50.00

And the train works quite well.

Yes the train is ok, but you arrive in a strange city on an 11pm flight,
don't speak the language and have a lot of luggage, a taxi can remove some
of the strain.

Old February 5th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Ricky

"tile" ha scritto nel messaggio
28 taxi drivers are being investigated by Police
for asking as much as 200 eur for a ride between rome airport and rome
town.-

the normal cost does not exceed eur 50.00

As anyone knows in Roma there are official taxi drivers and unofficial taxi
drivers.
Is impossible that a official taxi driver could pretend a higher cost than
the normal fare.
Ciao

Old February 5th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Ricky" wrote:

"tile" ha scritto nel messaggio
28 taxi drivers are being investigated by Police
for asking as much as 200 eur for a ride between rome airport and rome
town.-

the normal cost does not exceed eur 50.00

As anyone knows in Roma there are official taxi drivers and unofficial taxi
drivers.
Is impossible that a official taxi driver could pretend a higher cost than
the normal fare.
Ciao

uh huh --- we called a cab and paid more than we should have had to --
and weren't well equipped to argue in French with him holding our
luggage and us catching a plane -- we have taking the RER since then

just how exactly would it be impossible for such jerk NOT to hold one up?
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Poetic Justice

devil wrote:
And the train works quite well.

If you are staying within walking distance of Termini or traveling alone
it does work quite well.
But if you are an average tourist couple staying elsewhere it is a
hassle and a waste of time for little savings.
Walk from Arrivals to the train station, wait for the train, the
journey (~30mins) and then the long walk to the taxi queue.
I believe the train is now =809.50, so =8019. You throw 2 bags in the
taxi's trunk ~=802 and the initial charge ~=803.
So before you even move you are up to ~=8024 and then the cost of the
trip.
You can have a car and driver meet you at Arrivals for =8039, in a
Mercedes for =8042.
And a taxi for ~ the same price or more if traffic is heavy. Regards,
Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old February 6th, 2004, 02:06 PM
me

"Ken Blake" wrote in message ...
In news devil typed:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:45:30 +0000, tile wrote:

28 taxi drivers are being investigated by Police
for asking as much as 200 eur for a ride between rome airport

and
rome town.-

the normal cost does not exceed eur 50.00

And the train works quite well.

Although the train is fine, you typically need to take a taxi
from Stazione Termini to your hotel anyway. If you're two or
three people, the cost of the taxi from the airport may not be a
whole lot more than the cost of two or three train tickets plus
the taxi to the hotel. And it's certainly much more convenient
and faster (no waiting) to take the taxi.

I've done it both ways, but these days I more typically take a
taxi.

Laguardia and JFK remind me a bit of this. If you're in a group
which exceeds about 2, it can be very cost competetive to take
a cab. "Super shuttles" or various bus based systems often
will be charging "by the head" and the aggregate cost, plus the
consideration that they won't actually be taking you to your
destination, added to the additional time while they drop everyone
off, makes a cab a decent option.

Flip side of this was the time I took a super shuttle from Dulles
and ours was the first hotel it stopped at. Got the speed of a cab
for about 1/3 of the cost.
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:44 PM
tile

yes........ but
they had made a simple trick
used a meter with (out of rome) fare instead of (rome fare).-

If police is investigating, there must be good grounds.-
they even report tourists having been left someplace.. or tourists being
heavily threatened.-

besides.. who will ever know whether the taxi driver is taking the wrong
direction and makes a few kms more ??

they do it everywhere in the world
( they did it to me in rome as well.. but I knew my way and complained )

the taxi driver just apologized but charged me the full fare

In any case

this report was intended as a warning.
just remember iit costs between 40 and 60 eur
from Fiumicino Airport to Rome downtown.

Old February 6th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Ricky

"tile" ha scritto nel messaggio
yes........ but
they had made a simple trick
used a meter with (out of rome) fare instead of (rome fare).-

If police is investigating, there must be good grounds.-
they even report tourists having been left someplace.. or tourists being
heavily threatened.-

besides.. who will ever know whether the taxi driver is taking the wrong
direction and makes a few kms more ??

they do it everywhere in the world

"..."

That's a not good way to talk about Roma's taxi drivers. I am a italian but
I can say that the Rome taxi drivers are for the majority good drivers and
honests.
As you say "they do it everywhere in the world" I think in your country too.
Ciao