Sunday in Kansas City

Old June 1st, 2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy Heuman

Default Sunday in Kansas City

We're taking a car trip across the States and find we will be in
Kansas City on a Sunday. I looked on the web for things to do and
found most museums are open limited hours - mostly between 1 and 4 pm.

Do you have any suggestions where we could go sight-seeing in the
morning -- before 1 pm? Are there other interesting things to do -
maybe a historic district for walking or a park with historical
significance? Or, could it be that even with all my investigation,
there are museums open Sunday mornings?

Thanks. Judy
Judy Heuman
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:01:40 -0400, Judy Heuman
wrote:

We're taking a car trip across the States and find we will be in
Kansas City on a Sunday. I looked on the web for things to do and
found most museums are open limited hours - mostly between 1 and 4 pm.

Do you have any suggestions where we could go sight-seeing in the
morning -- before 1 pm? Are there other interesting things to do -
maybe a historic district for walking or a park with historical
significance? Or, could it be that even with all my investigation,
there are museums open Sunday mornings?

Thanks. Judy
================================================= ==============
Judy Heuman

I assume you mean Kansas City, Missouri. The Nelson-Atkins Museum
of Art is quite a nice art museum, with Sunday hours from
12n-5pm. When I lived in the area in the 1980s we used to go
there from time to time, and I got totally faked out by a
sculpture called "Museum Guard"; it was so realistic I started to
ask it some information. Even funnier, the gurad who apparently
posed for it was watching from across the room.

The museum has a very nice restaurant. Back when we used to go
there they had a wonderful Sunday champagne brunch, now,
apparently and sadly, a thing of the past.

http://www.nelson-atkins.org/

Several blocks east of the museum on Cleaver Blvd is a Gates and
Son BBQ that I remember fondly.

Old June 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Or, could it be that even with all my investigation,
there are museums open Sunday mornings?

Just a general comment that many places in the U.S. are closed or only
open for limited hours on Sunday. I doubt if you'll find any museums
open on a Sunday morning.

If you're on a long trip, might be a good opportunity to sleep in and
have a relaxed morning.

James
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"Judy Heuman" wrote in message
We're taking a car trip across the States and find we will be in
Kansas City on a Sunday. I looked on the web for things to do and
found most museums are open limited hours - mostly between 1 and 4 pm.

Do you have any suggestions where we could go sight-seeing in the
morning -- before 1 pm? Are there other interesting things to do -
maybe a historic district for walking or a park with historical
significance? Or, could it be that even with all my investigation,
there are museums open Sunday mornings?

Thanks. Judy
Judy Heuman

Union Station is worth a visit. It's beautiful inside, if you like
architecture and history, and there are shops and restaurants. Looks like
you can get brunch in there starting at 10 a.m., or breakfast even from 7
a.m.
www.unionstation.org The Liberty Memorial Museum (WW1) is right across
the street and the webpage says it opens everyday at 10 a.m.
http://www.libertymemorialmuseum.org/

Truman's Library in Independence is only 15-20 minutes from KC, but it
doesn't open until noon on Sundays.

KS has some beautiful neighborhoods. If you can find some of self-guided
tours of neighborhoods (probably something on the 'net, if you look around
some), just driving around looking at the architecture is interesting until
the museums open.

Old June 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy Heuman

Thanks to all who gave suggestions for our day in Kansas City. We
have a plan! Most likely, needing a rest day by then, we'll sleep
late, walk around the grounds of the art museum (maybe look inside
too!), then go on to the toy and miniature museum for the afternoon.

For us, this is only one day of a 5 1/2 week trip including driving
from Toronto, through Pittsburgh, on to I-70 to cross the mid-west,
then off to Colorado Springs, across the Rockies to Utah, north in
Utah to visit with our son. Then, we're flying to Alaska for a
cruise, going back to Utah to pick up our car and face the long drive
home.

Our mapping is done! We leave fairly soon and hope the difficult
weather in the mid-west (storms, floods, tornadoes) ends before we
arrive!

Judy
Judy Heuman