First trip to Japan

Old September 12th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Gerry Scott-Moore

Default First trip to Japan

In article , Hallvard
Tangeraas wrote:

I just need to figure out exactly when the cherry blossoming is -that's
the biggest problem in planning the dates for my round-the-world ticket,
but then again I can change the departure/arrival dates if I like,
without any additional fee.

Some friends we made in Tokyo were adamant that we make our next trip
in the spring for the cherry blossums. I have a job that really
hammers me the first week of each month. So I was discussing the
middle two weeks of either April or May. My host continually came back
to the point that the best opportunities would be had in the last week
of April and the first week of May. Of course I don't intend to spend
all those two weeks in Tokyo, so I'm still at a disadvantage.

As others have pointed out, they don't arrive by the clock. But a
Japanese guy was adamant that I had to be there those two weeks.

--
///---
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Dave Fossett

Gerry Scott-Moore wrote:

Some friends we made in Tokyo were adamant that we make our next trip
in the spring for the cherry blossums. I have a job that really
hammers me the first week of each month. So I was discussing the
middle two weeks of either April or May. My host continually came back
to the point that the best opportunities would be had in the last week
of April and the first week of May. Of course I don't intend to spend
all those two weeks in Tokyo, so I'm still at a disadvantage.

As others have pointed out, they don't arrive by the clock. But a
Japanese guy was adamant that I had to be there those two weeks.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the way, but the peak
cherry blossom season in Tokyo is usually the last week in March and first
week in April. By late-April, it will be just leaves.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Old September 13th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Gerry Scott-Moore

In article , Dave Fossett
wrote:

My host continually came back to the point that the best
opportunities would be had in the last week of April and the first
week of May. Of course I don't intend to spend all those two weeks
in Tokyo, so I'm still at a disadvantage.

As others have pointed out, they don't arrive by the clock. But a
Japanese guy was adamant that I had to be there those two weeks.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the way, but the
peak cherry blossom season in Tokyo is usually the last week in March
and first week in April. By late-April, it will be just leaves.

Damn, sorry. I got confused. My friend was insisting on the last week
in March andthe first week of April.

--
///---
Old September 14th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Dave Fossett

Gerry Scott-Moore wrote:

Damn, sorry. I got confused. My friend was insisting on the last week
in March andthe first week of April.

That sounds more like it. And of course, the cherry blossom season varies
according to location (i.e. latitude). I'm not too sure, but it could be as
much as one month earlier in the far south of Japan, and a month later in
the north.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan