Help with Kansas City, Missouri

Old April 8th, 2005, 11:25 PM
John McCrory

Default Help with Kansas City, Missouri

Toward the end of May, my wife and I will be in Kansas City for two or three
days, with a car, and just as tourists. We want to see the city, eat at a
couple of the better known restaurants and generally get the flavor of the
city. We will come from the direction of St. Louis and go back in the same
direction; we have flexibility on our route.

With that in mind, can anyone give us suggestions about what to see, where
to eat, where to spend time, etc.? We usually stay in motels such as Comfort
Inn, Holiday Inn Express or the like; since we have no reason to stay in a
certain part of town, what area would give us the best access to the areas
where tourists are likely to visit? Are there any festivals, shows, sporting
events, etc. during the last part of May that we might want to consider? Are
there "don't miss" places to see on the way to or from St. Louis? Thanks for
assistance.

John McCrory

Old April 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Sarah Banick

"John McCrory" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Sorry, can't answer most of your questions. I'm usually staying with
friends. Coupla things not to miss include Union Station and Truman's
Library in Independence. KC is a great city -- the architecture in the city
itself is worth seeing, and there are many nice neighborhoods (my friends
drove me around). There are also lots of parks with fountains; its just a
pleasant place to drive around. There's a neat neighborhood at 39th Street
(? somebody help me out here) with cool shops and restaurants. Another cute
neighborhood is Parkville -- it's right on the river and has a brewery and
alots of interesting shops.

Hope this helps,
Sarah

Old April 9th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Nile

suggestions about what to see, where to eat, where to spend time,
etc.?

The perennial Kansas City favorite is Country Club Plaza ... shops,
restaurants, fountains, Spanish-style architecture from the 1920's.
That's where I'd look. Kansas City supposedly has more fountains than
Paris. (I was surprised to see it on one poster's "ugly" list in the
"prettiest city" thread; I've always thought K.C. is one of the most
attractive cities in the country.) Agreed that the Truman Library and
home should be on your list. The Royals (baseball) may have a game
while you're there. The Nelson-Atkins Art Museum rates well.

what area would give us the best access to the areas where tourists

are likely to visit?

See above. Another option is out in Blue Springs or Independence,
interstate motels, which would be closer to the Truman Library and the
Royals, but Country Club Plaza would be much more pleasant.

Are there "don't miss" places to see on the way to or from St. Louis?

Well, don't know about "don't-miss," but Westminster College in Fulton
is where Winston Churchill gave his Iron Curtain speech; there's a
re-built English chapel and museum there. The University of Missouri is
in Columbia; that's the half-way point and a good stop. (Lots of
restaurants in the downtown area, esp. around, roughly, Broadway and
Eighth.) The Lutheran seminary in Concordia has an attractive campus
also.

Old April 9th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:05:24 -0500,
(Nile) wrote:

suggestions about what to see, where to eat, where to spend time,

etc.?

The perennial Kansas City favorite is Country Club Plaza ... shops,
restaurants, fountains, Spanish-style architecture from the 1920's.

It's considered the first shopping cetner in the USA.

That's where I'd look. Kansas City supposedly has more fountains than
Paris.

The claim is usually "more fountains than Rome".

(I was surprised to see it on one poster's "ugly" list in the
"prettiest city" thread; I've always thought K.C. is one of the most
attractive cities in the country.)

That depends largely on what part of town you are visiting, as is
true of most cities.

Agreed that the Truman Library and
home should be on your list. The Royals (baseball) may have a game
while you're there. The Nelson-Atkins Art Museum rates well.

One time I was at the Nelson-Atkins and saw the plaque on the
wall for an art work called "Museum Guard". I couldn't seem to
locate teh art work it referred to, so I turned to ask the museum
guard standing nert to me and discovered I was talking to a very
realistic sculpture. I also noticed the museum guard across the
room chuckling at me and noticed that he was obviously the model
for the sculpture.

The Nelson-Atkins used to have a really good Sunday brunch; I
don't know if it still does.

Anyone going to KC should try barbecue. When I lived nearby I
favored Gates' although Arthur Bryant's was made famous by Calvin
Trillin who "declared in Playboy magazine that '...the single
best restaurant in the world is Arthur Bryant's Barbeque ...'"
http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/