East Africa - Drought Conditions

Old May 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default East Africa - Drought Conditions

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
On 14 May 2006 12:45:27 -0700, Bill wrote:

Try this link instead ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/programm...cd/index.shtml

Bill, Pat,

thanks, found the page. Lots of stuff there, ran out of time.
Have to pack first. (:-)

Hans-Georg

Safari Njema!
Will you be doing your annual safari report Hans Georg? I hope you
have a great safari.
Best wishes,
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:10:48 +0100, Pat Anderson wrote:

Safari Njema!

Asante.

Will you be doing your annual safari report Hans Georg? I hope you
have a great safari.

Sure. As usual.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:10:48 +0100, Pat Anderson wrote:

Safari Njema!

Asante.

Will you be doing your annual safari report Hans Georg? I hope you
have a great safari.

Sure. As usual.

Excellent!

I look forward to a vicarious thrill, and I've got broadband now!

Slainte mhath

Green Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo galleries:
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:10:48 +0100, Pat Anderson wrote:

Safari Njema!

Asante.

Will you be doing your annual safari report Hans Georg? I hope you
have a great safari.

Sure. As usual.

Hans-Georg

Asante sana, I look forward to it!
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message , Liz
writes
In message
Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:10:48 +0100, Pat Anderson wrote:

Safari Njema!

Asante.

Will you be doing your annual safari report Hans Georg? I hope you
have a great safari.

Sure. As usual.

Excellent!

I look forward to a vicarious thrill, and I've got broadband now!

Slainte mhath

Green Liz

Liz,
great to know you now have broadband, it makes a tremendous difference
with the "big stuff" Did you say you won`t be going on safari this
year? I wish I could go but since we went to see Stuart (our son) in
NZ for the first time last year it might be on the cards again. I
almost feel I`m letting Kenya down but I still keep in close touch.
By the way, did you see the BBC2 programme that visited Hippo Point in
Naivasha last week? I met Dodo Cunningham - Reid once at the Lake
Naivasha hotel.
Cheers,
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
Pat Anderson wrote:

Liz,
great to know you now have broadband, it makes a tremendous difference
with the "big stuff" Did you say you won`t be going on safari this
year?

Almost certainly not to East Africa. I've seen a few interesting trips
in either Kenya or Tz, but I really have no intention on principle of
paying £500 and upwards as a single supplement on top of the High
Season hike.
I have a few trips to other places as 'probably best compromises I can
get' given having to join a group. I just found one on Weds night
which looked interesting (Botswana and Namibia), but the company,
although based in England, didn't seem to have an ATOL. I checked
ATOL's own site and a company of the same name, and apparently the
right URL, was listed there, but the 'registered address' on the ATOL
site is different from the one on their own site, and it seemed very
odd they wouldn't have the ATOL symbol on their site. So I filled in
the online enquiry form asking about this as well as some specifics
about the trip. I got an email back today asking "Where are you
located? I need to know this before I can answer your questions" which
I couldn't understand at all! Anyway, I replied to the email and it
got instantly bounced. I've tried again, so we'll see, but it's not
looking too promising.

You might remember that three years ago, I contacted Wildlife
Worldwide, which I thought was a reputable company (ATT, but not now,
I think, they were a sister company of Naturetrek - I know people who
have travelled with NT, and even one of their Tz tour leaders) asking
how much the single supplement on their Madagascar trip was. I got an
email back from them with no answer, but the person who got the
original email had forwarded to the owner of the company with the
message "I'll leave this one to you, see her sig", which was just a
link to my website, and I couldn't see how that was at all relevant.
Anyway, I chased them up a further three times but got nowhere. The
same year, friends had met them at the British BirdFair with re. a
trip to Bangweulu Swamp to look for Shoebills. After a long
conversation in which they had more or less sorted out a tailor-made
trip, they never heard from them again, and phone calls were
unanswered.
Do you think these companies are just tax dodges or something?
They seem to have heard of clients but want no truck with them.

I wish I could go but since we went to see Stuart (our son) in
NZ for the first time last year it might be on the cards again. I
almost feel I`m letting Kenya down but I still keep in close touch.

Kenya seems to be doing OK - they can't be desparate for visitors if
they can keep the really keen away by swingeing single supplements!
Anyway, I had to visit a physiotherapist last week, and it turns out
he's from Kisii (he was impressed that I'd guessed he was from the
West by his name!), but now has a house in Nakuru and was just there
last month (explaining how his consulting room was always closed!) We
got on like a house on fire. :-)

By the way, did you see the BBC2 programme that visited Hippo Point in
Naivasha last week? I met Dodo Cunningham - Reid once at the Lake
Naivasha hotel.

No, I missed that one. :-(
Is the Lake Naivasha Hotel the one which used to be the Djinn Palace?
We're reading 'The Lives of Beryl Markham' at the moment, and have
just read about her fling with Joss Errol.

Slainte

Liz