Buying a RV in US or Canada

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tom J

Default Buying a RV in US or Canada

wrote in message
I have never seen cars or RV's with European plates in the US.

I haven't either, but it can be done. According to the link below,
tourists can generally bring a car with foreign plates into the U.S.
for one year.

I see you guys have never come across the big red German 22 passenger
RVs that tour the world. They have German numbers - not tags. I've
seen them all over the US, including Alaska, Canada & Mexico. I've
also seen several foreign tagged motorhomes, mostly class B & C
specialty rigs.

Tom J

Old February 25th, 2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kulp

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:32:13 -0800 (PST), PeterL
wrote:

On Feb 24, 8:30=A0pm, (Kir=E1ly) wrote:
You might also consider buying an RV in Switzerland, registering and
insuring it there, and then transporting it to North America for your
holiday. =A0Many do this; I have seen big RVs with German and Swiss
licence plates driving in the USA and Canada several times.

Really? I have never seen cars or RV's with European plates in the
US.

Neither have I and I would highly doubt that transporting it would be
very inexpensive either. And you would still need insurance.
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
The Bobert

In article ,
"Urs Mueller" wrote:

Hello people

I was visiting the US and Canada several times by car and also by RV.
My future plannings include a longer trip to the north for about 10 weeks.
As rentals are quite expensive, I was thinking about buying an RV. And
this takes my Google searches to no end. Could you perhaps feed me with
some informations. Everything (nearly) that helps, Books, Websites and
other stuff is appreciated.
Questions:
1. Are there reference prices for used RVs.
Like x years old x miles driven equal xx% off new price?

NADA price guide
http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHom...579-50251&l=1&
w=25&p=0&f=5602

2. Where to buy cheaper? US or Canada?
3. What fees or other surplusses to expect?
I do now about G.S.T. and sales taxes at different
locations. But, I am sure there will be more fees.
4. There will be surely annual fees/taxes to pay.
Insurance and other stuff?

Sales tax will vary depending on what state you take delivery of the MH.
There's also license and registration fees, and some dealers add on "fees"
that really only pay for their advertising, coffee brakes and extravagant
dinners etc. They will remove some of these fees if you demand they do so.
They would rather make the sale than have you walk away because they want
you to pay for cleaning of the coach for sale, and similar "fees"

5. Are there nice and well arranged web sites were
one can compare more than just a few RVs?

Try:
http://www.rvonline.com/

6. Would you buy from a rental agency? They sell their
old (4-5 years) gear usually at the end of season.
If had once an offer from http://canadream.com/

No,No, and No!

7. Any other hurdles for international buyers to
watch for?

I am thinking about a 24" MH. I didn't really understand the "classes"
(Class "C") I found on different websites.
Found some nice RVs like the Winnebago View 24B, but I cannot afford a new
one.

Class A is a big box build on a frame for Large trucks or RV's.

Class B is a small coach usually built from a regular van but with bare
bones fresh water and toilet water tanks. Often called "van conversions".
Most (if not all) have quite small interiors. OK for 1 or 2, but throw in
the kids and you are out of room

Class C is built on a truck body and has sleeping (or storage) in the area
over the cab. Usually the sofa open into a bed.

rec.outdoors.rv-travel
alt.rv

may also help you

Buying any RV now will get you a better deal than a few years ago, but they
are harder to sell when you want to sell one. It could take more time than
you want to invest, or just trust a salesman to sell it for you.

Where do you plan to buy the RV? That could make a difference in what your
choices may be. Oregon has no Sales tax, but might hit you for property
tax. Everyone wants his(hers) chunk of your money.

I'd like to know how you make out.

--
Hey! It compiles. Ship it.

Bob in Central California