Request: update on Euopean baggage transer / carry-ons

Old December 16th, 2007, 06:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

Default Request: update on Euopean baggage transer / carry-ons

Is the UK still the only one that is nuts on the one tiny bag for carry-on
rule, or have some other European countries copied the silly rule?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old December 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
Is the UK still the only one that is nuts on the one tiny bag for carry-on
rule, or have some other European countries copied the silly rule?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

I think the situation is quite well summed up on this (official!) page
http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo.../returningtouk.
In other words, nobody really knows.

And, to make matters worse, the UK is about to change its' rules. As far
as I can make out the change will only apply if the airport has installed
"3D" scanners and then you'll be allowed 2 pieces - maybe. So you'll have
to know the rules for the specific airport (and even terminal?) you pass
through and then of the airline.

Oh and the liquid rule still applies as far as I can make out.

My best advice (and an official from Manchester airport made the same point
on a news report yesterday even though his airport should be one of the two
bag places) is stick to one bag and a liquid baggie - that way you won't be
caught out.

Old December 16th, 2007, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

Graham Harrison wrote:

[...]

Better instead to skip UK airports.

I suppose I could Eurostar to Paris but living in the UK means I don't have
much choice other than to use one of our airports (if I want to fly).

Old December 17th, 2007, 07:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

I suppose I could Eurostar to Paris but living in the UK means I don't
have much choice other than to use one of our airports (if I want to fly).

Me too.

If I could work out an easy way to get from the airport at Amsterdam to
Europort and nip over on the P&O ferry to Hull it would make life easier but
there doesn't seem an easy and cheap way to do that...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old December 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On 16 Dec, 21:20, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in om...

Graham Harrison wrote:

. ..

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo...security/retur....
In other words, nobody really knows.

And, to make matters worse, the UK is about to change its' rules. As
far as I can make out the change will only apply if the airport has
installed "3D" scanners and then you'll be allowed 2 pieces - maybe. So
you'll have to know the rules for the specific airport (and even
terminal?) you pass through and then of the airline.

Oh and the liquid rule still applies as far as I can make out.

My best advice (and an official from Manchester airport made the same
point on a news report yesterday even though his airport should be one of
the two bag places) is stick to one bag and a liquid baggie - that way
you won't be caught out.

Better instead to skip UK airports.

I suppose I could Eurostar to Paris but living in the UK means I don't have
much choice other than to use one of our airports (if I want to fly).

But living in the UK means you have a better chance of knowing the
rules. I think most of the grief comes from people from outside the
UK.

Actually in the UK I saw several passengers with carry-on baggage
bigger than the average adult. Apparently these bags were checked
in, but carried on the aircraft. The only downside: you have to
purchase a seat for your bag.