Fun with Airports!!!!

Old January 27th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Dennis G. Rears

Default Fun with Airports!!!!

As a change of pace I thought I would post this. I hope this will be fun
for r.t.a. I am more of a recreational traveler than a business traveler
but also a bit of a miltary traveler. I am USA based. For grins I thought
I would compile a list of airports that I have been to since I turned 21.
Since I am scientifically oriented I thought I would turn to this group for
definitions and help.

What constitutes visiting an airport?

For example I was in HNL from an AKL-LAX flight. It was diverted for crew
rest. I landed there and took off there. I never got off the plane.
Should this count?

I had a 45 minute layover in IAD (Dulles) (EWR-IAD-AMS-IAD-EWR), should it
count?

What are these airports ( I want 3 letter designations):

San Juan (PR)
Belize City
San Pedro, Belize
Bonaire, Nederland Antilles
Tortola, BVI

Can I include airports that I used for recreational travel that are military
(Space A) recreational? For example RMS (Ramstein AFB in Germany) or FRF
(Rhein-Mein AFB) that shares runways with FRA?

How about Denver?

Is it two airports that I have flown out of Staple and DIA?

Can I include military travel I took off 5 times from Ft Benning Field(GA)
(I don't know the code) but never landed with the airplane. Does this
count?

I welcome all replies. I hope to get back to recreational air travel. BTW,
I don't want this thread to involve into a Most Airport visited thread. I
want it to evolve into rules for an airport thread, kind of like a
continuous running streak.....

dennis

Old January 27th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Rupert

Well i can get you the airport codes...

San Juan (PR)

PJS PORT SAN JUAN United States
SJA SAN JUAN Peru
UAQ SAN JUAN Argentina
WSJ SAN JUAN United States
APE SAN JUAN APOSENTO Peru
SJM SAN JUAN DE LA M. Dominican Republic
SJR SAN JUAN DE URABA Colombia
SJH SAN JUAN DEL CESAR Colombia
SIG SAN JUAN ISLA GRAND Puerto Rico
SJU SAN JUAN MARIN INTL Puerto Rico

Belize City

BZE BELIZE CITY GLDSN INTL Belize
TZA BELIZE CITY MUNICIPAL Belize

San Pedro, Belize

SPR SAN PEDRO Belize

Bonaire, Nederland Antilles

BON BONAIRE FLAMINGO Netherlands Antilles

Tortola, BVI

EIS TORTOLA BEEF IS Virgin Islands (British)
TOV TORTOLA WSTEND SPB Virgin Islands (British)

Old January 27th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Geoff Glave

Hi Dennis,

Great fun! I have every boarding pass I've been issued since 1989

My friends and I collect "ticks." i.e. a tick for a city, tick for an
airline, tick for an airport etc.

With our rules, in order to get an airport "tick" you have to actually get
off the plane and enter the terminal, although you don't have to go through
security, i.e. if you connect from one gate to another you get a tick for
that airport.

Here's how we'd interpret your airport ticks according to our rules!

For example I was in HNL from an AKL-LAX flight. It was diverted for

crew
rest. I landed there and took off there. I never got off the plane.
Should this count?

Nope.

I had a 45 minute layover in IAD (Dulles) (EWR-IAD-AMS-IAD-EWR), should

it
count?

Did you get off the plane and enter the terminal? If so, yes.

Can I include airports that I used for recreational travel that are

military
(Space A) recreational? For example RMS (Ramstein AFB in Germany) or FRF
(Rhein-Mein AFB) that shares runways with FRA?

Yes, for example Comox airport on Vancouver Island in British Columbia,
Canada gives you a tick, and it's shared with Canadian Forces Base Comox.

How about Denver?

Is it two airports that I have flown out of Staple and DIA?

I have two ticks for both these airports - One for DIA and one for the
now-defunct Stapleton. It's not quite as cool as my friends who have ticks
for the now defunct Kai-Tak in Hong Kong, but it's the best I can do

Can I include military travel I took off 5 times from Ft Benning

Field(GA)
(I don't know the code) but never landed with the airplane. Does this
count?

Sure.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

PS You might also have fun with this: http://gc.kls2.com/

Old January 27th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Henry

Dennis G. Rears wrote:

...I am ... a bit of a miltary traveler. I am USA based.

Can I include airports that I used for recreational travel that are military
(Space A) recreational? For example RMS (Ramstein AFB in Germany) or FRF
(Rhein-Mein AFB) that shares runways with FRA?

You are not the first and you won't be the last to make this mistake,
but strictly speaking US Air Force bases located outside of the US are
not called 'air force bases' (AFB). As a sop to local sensibilities,
they are usually termed simply 'air bases' (AB).

http://www.ramstein.af.mil/home.html
http://www.rheinmain.af.mil

Sometimes, of course, the euphemism is taken even further--as in the
case of the big facility in East Anglia which is still designated 'RAF
Lakenheath' even though it has been wholly American for over fifty
years.

cheers,

Henry

(who twice had transits through Yokota Air Base)
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Henry" wrote in message
.. .
Dennis G. Rears wrote:

Sometimes, of course, the euphemism is taken even further--as in the
case of the big facility in East Anglia which is still designated 'RAF
Lakenheath' even though it has been wholly American for over fifty
years.

Yup. America has various installations around the UK and they are always
designated 'RAF'.. whatever. I guess it is to underline that it is still a
Royal Air Force base and the USAF is there by invitation.

Old January 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Reef Fish

"Rupert" wrote in message ...
Well i can get you the airport codes...

San Juan (PR)

PJS PORT SAN JUAN United States
SJA SAN JUAN Peru
UAQ SAN JUAN Argentina
WSJ SAN JUAN United States
APE SAN JUAN APOSENTO Peru
SJM SAN JUAN DE LA M. Dominican Republic
SJR SAN JUAN DE URABA Colombia
SJH SAN JUAN DEL CESAR Colombia
SIG SAN JUAN ISLA GRAND Puerto Rico
SJU SAN JUAN MARIN INTL Puerto Rico

San Pedro, Belize

SPR SAN PEDRO Belize

SAP SAN PEDRO SULA Ramon Villeda Morales Airport Honduras

Hub of TACA (Take A Chance Airline) :-)

-- Bob.
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Clark W Griswold

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
om...

SAP SAN PEDRO SULA Ramon Villeda Morales Airport Honduras

Hub of TACA (Take A Chance Airline) :-)

-- Bob.

I once flew in there on SAHSA (Stay At Home Stay Alive). Is TACA what
became of SAHSA?

- Clark

Old January 28th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Reef Fish

"Clark W Griswold" wrote in message .com...
"Reef Fish" wrote in message
om...

SAP SAN PEDRO SULA Ramon Villeda Morales Airport Honduras

Hub of TACA (Take A Chance Airline) :-)

-- Bob.

I once flew in there on SAHSA (Stay At Home Stay Alive). Is TACA what
became of SAHSA?

- Clark

No, they are both very much alive. I think that's the way the Central
American airlines like to do business -- keep you guessing on the
departure/arrival times and which CITY you'll end up on the first day. :-)

I think the name is TAN SASHA. I've flown it a few times, with
equally predictable results of never knowing when and where it will
fly no matter what the booked itinerary says! :-)

-- Bob.
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:12 AM
thedude

I think TACA was originally the San Savadorean flag carrier. Until the
eighties, they were based in New Orleans and their pilots were all American.
They moved their main base to Central America at that time and hired less
expensive pilots.

TAN was originally a Nicaraguan carrier.

SAHSA is a Honduran carrier.

I think there may be some common ownership of these as well as other Central
American carriers.
Old January 28th, 2004, 11:20 AM
mag3

Quoting "Dennis G. Rears" regarding Fun with
Airports!!!! in a message dated Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:00:45 GMT:

As a change of pace I thought I would post this. I hope this will be fun
for r.t.a. I am more of a recreational traveler than a business traveler
but also a bit of a miltary traveler. I am USA based. For grins I thought
I would compile a list of airports that I have been to since I turned 21.
Since I am scientifically oriented I thought I would turn to this group for
definitions and help.

What constitutes visiting an airport?

For example I was in HNL from an AKL-LAX flight. It was diverted for crew
rest. I landed there and took off there. I never got off the plane.
Should this count?

No.

I had a 45 minute layover in IAD (Dulles) (EWR-IAD-AMS-IAD-EWR), should it
count?

Depends on your standards I guess. Mine are tougher than most. I would *not*
consider this a "visit" if I stayed "airside" all the time. Only if I went
through security checking would I consider it a true "visit." I don't know why
that should matter, but I guess part of the experience is going through the
"main terminal" and through their security, immigration/customs if applicable
etc.

Can I include airports that I used for recreational travel that are military
(Space A) recreational? For example RMS (Ramstein AFB in Germany) or FRF
(Rhein-Mein AFB) that shares runways with FRA?

Why not?

How about Denver?

Is it two airports that I have flown out of Staple and DIA?

Can I include military travel I took off 5 times from Ft Benning Field(GA)
(I don't know the code) but never landed with the airplane. Does this
count?

Sorry, how could you "take off" but not "land with the airplane?" Do you mean
that you took off from a military airport but landed at a civillian airport? Is
that possible?

I welcome all replies. I hope to get back to recreational air travel. BTW,
I don't want this thread to involve into a Most Airport visited thread.

To me, a full airport "visit" occurs when I:

1) enter through the main door
2) check in at the counter
3) procced through the main terminal building
4) go through 1st level security.

or

5) disembark and go through immigration/customs
(for an international arrival).

I want it to evolve into rules for an airport thread, kind of like a
continuous running streak.....

I'm that way with visiting countries as well. To me, it's not an official visit
to a country unless I:

1) Clear Immigration/Customs
2) Stay overnight at lest one night.
3) Eat a full set of "3 squares" at a local eatery
4) Uhhhhh...... Well...... Uhhhh..... Nahhh, better not go there.
:-)))))

Regards,
Arnold.

(E-mail address altered, to prevent spamming. :-|
Remove all asterisks and the *hates*spam* to get true address.)