London travelcard sold at Gatwick?

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default London travelcard sold at Gatwick?

Hello,

I was wondering if you can buy a London-travelcard at Gatwick Airport upon
arrival?
I know that it is not valid to travel from Gatwick into the city, so I'll
be taking the Gatwick-Express for that. But I read that they are doing
major refurbishment at Victoria-Station (where the Gatwick-Express
arrives), and that you might not be able to buy tube-tickets there (I have
to go on to Paddington). So it would be very comfortable if I could buy my
travelcard right at the airport.

Regards,

Frank
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if you can buy a London-travelcard at Gatwick Airport upon
arrival?
I know that it is not valid to travel from Gatwick into the city, so I'll
be taking the Gatwick-Express for that. But I read that they are doing
major refurbishment at Victoria-Station (where the Gatwick-Express
arrives), and that you might not be able to buy tube-tickets there (I have
to go on to Paddington). So it would be very comfortable if I could buy my
travelcard right at the airport.

You can buy the visitor oyster card at Gatwick Airport.

Depending on what you need that day, you could buy a ticket at Gatwick
that would get you to Victoria and then onto Paddington by tube.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

Am Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:14:08 +0100 schrieb vid Horne,
_the_ chancellor:

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if you can buy a London-travelcard at Gatwick Airport upon
arrival?
I know that it is not valid to travel from Gatwick into the city, so I'll
be taking the Gatwick-Express for that. But I read that they are doing
major refurbishment at Victoria-Station (where the Gatwick-Express
arrives), and that you might not be able to buy tube-tickets there (I have
to go on to Paddington). So it would be very comfortable if I could buy my
travelcard right at the airport.

You can buy the visitor oyster card at Gatwick Airport.

Do they also sell the normal tavel card?

Yes, you can.

I'm travelling with my 12 year old
son, and from what I read, he would need a photocard if he wants the
oyster-card, which can't be done on the spot. So I thought about getting
the normal (paper-)travel-card.

OK- I take it you can't apply for that in advance from abroad?

Check out
www.oystercard.com

Depending on what you need that day, you could buy a ticket at Gatwick
that would get you to Victoria and then onto Paddington by tube.

But from Gatwick to Victoria I'll need a seperate ticket for the
Gatwick-Express anyway, isn't it?

I'd assumed it was possible to add on the tube journeys on an integrated
ticket (you can do this from most destinations going to London) but
maybe Gatwick Express doesn't allow for it- their website certainly
doesn't mention it. Not particularly user friendly, but there you go.

FWIW, it would be very unusual not to be able to buy tickets at Victoria
but it's always busy there and it's a good decision to try and get the
tickets all sorted at Gatwick, or before if you can...

Old August 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:09:14 +0100 schrieb vid Horne,
_the_ chancellor:

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if you can buy a London-travelcard at Gatwick Airport upon
arrival?
I know that it is not valid to travel from Gatwick into the city, so I'll
be taking the Gatwick-Express for that. But I read that they are doing
major refurbishment at Victoria-Station (where the Gatwick-Express
arrives), and that you might not be able to buy tube-tickets there (I have
to go on to Paddington). So it would be very comfortable if I could buy my
travelcard right at the airport.

You can buy the visitor oyster card at Gatwick Airport.

Do they also sell the normal tavel card?

Yes, you can.

Ah, thats fine!

I'm travelling with my 12 year old
son, and from what I read, he would need a photocard if he wants the
oyster-card, which can't be done on the spot. So I thought about getting
the normal (paper-)travel-card.

OK- I take it you can't apply for that in advance from abroad?

Check out
www.oystercard.com

I did, they say it takes at least 3 weeks for a photocard from abroad. Too
long for me.

Depending on what you need that day, you could buy a ticket at Gatwick
that would get you to Victoria and then onto Paddington by tube.

But from Gatwick to Victoria I'll need a seperate ticket for the
Gatwick-Express anyway, isn't it?

I'd assumed it was possible to add on the tube journeys on an integrated
ticket (you can do this from most destinations going to London) but
maybe Gatwick Express doesn't allow for it- their website certainly
doesn't mention it. Not particularly user friendly, but there you go.

Yes.

FWIW, it would be very unusual not to be able to buy tickets at Victoria

I checked out the tfl Website, and they said due to construction the
ticket-offices at Victoria could be closed. I don't want to get stranded
there with my luggage unable to get a ticket.

but it's always busy there and it's a good decision to try and get the
tickets all sorted at Gatwick, or before if you can...

That's what I thought, especially when travelling with luggage.

Thanks for the info, so I'll just get my travelcard at the Airport.

Regards,

Frank
Old August 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Frank Hucklenbroich wrote in
:

so I'll just get my travelcard at the Airport.

I recommend not to. You should get oyster for adult travellers, even if
you find it difficult to buy one at first, which I doubt though. Oyster
is far more conventient and gives you better fares than any paper
ticket, so do get it.

I use the oystercard too but the paper travelcard ticket for 'unlimited'
travel is exactly the same as oyster- the price advantage for the latter
is for single journeys and that it builds up single journeys towards a
'cap' which is the same as the unlimited. That advantage for the oyster
card is significant though...

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
Frank Hucklenbroich wrote in
:

so I'll just get my travelcard at the Airport.

I recommend not to. You should get oyster for adult travellers, even if
you find it difficult to buy one at first, which I doubt though. Oyster
is far more conventient and gives you better fares than any paper
ticket, so do get it.

It saves him 50p (a day), at the risk of getting surcharged IIRC 16.00 if he
swipes in at a gate incorrectly [1], personally I would recommend that a
casual visitor to London keep a barge pole away from Oyster cards

YMMV

tim

[1] you can, of course get this back, but the hoops required to do so are
difficult enough for someone who lives in London so many foreigners don't
bother

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

tim.... wrote:

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
Frank Hucklenbroich wrote in
:

so I'll just get my travelcard at the Airport.

I recommend not to. You should get oyster for adult travellers, even if
you find it difficult to buy one at first, which I doubt though. Oyster
is far more conventient and gives you better fares than any paper
ticket, so do get it.

It saves him 50p (a day),

Really? TFL gives the prices for day tickets as being the same...

at the risk of getting surcharged IIRC 16.00 if he
swipes in at a gate incorrectly [1], personally I would recommend that a
casual visitor to London keep a barge pole away from Oyster cards

YMMV

tim

[1] you can, of course get this back, but the hoops required to do so are
difficult enough for someone who lives in London so many foreigners don't
bother

Hm... it happened to me once and I got it back after a phone call, but
your point is taken.

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Frank Hucklenbroich" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I was wondering if you can buy a London-travelcard at Gatwick Airport upon
arrival?
I know that it is not valid to travel from Gatwick into the city, so I'll
be taking the Gatwick-Express for that. But I read that they are doing
major refurbishment at Victoria-Station (where the Gatwick-Express
arrives), and that you might not be able to buy tube-tickets there (I have
to go on to Paddington). So it would be very comfortable if I could buy my
travelcard right at the airport.

Regards,

Frank

If all you want to do is travel Gatwick/Victoria/Paddington you need a
Gatwick to Zone 1 ticket. That covers the train ride into London and a
single trip on the Underground within zone 1. What you can then do is take
First Capital Connect (FCC) from Gatwick to Farringdon and then the
Hammersmith and City or Circle to Paddington. FCC is slightly slower into
London but changing at Farringdon is easier and the underground ride from
there to Paddington is much more frequent than from Victoria. Also solves
any issues with your 12 year old because you can just buy everything in
paper form at Gatwick.