scandinavia

Old May 11th, 2013, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default scandinavia

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2013 18:40:15 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 09/05/2013 6:23 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/9/2013 5:28 PM, Martin wrote:
David Hatunen

Did you try a sleep mask?

Hand out free on long distance flights.

It's years since I've been given a sleep mask on a long haul flight.

I have never been given a sleep mask on a flight, regardless of the time
of the flight.

I've always been given them on flights from Europe to Australia.

It never occurred to me that I might need one. I had never been that far
north before.

Even as far south as The Netherlands the number of hours of darkness
is short in summer. There must be places in the USA that have a
similar lack of darkness in summer. In Fairbanks for example

As my dog will be pointing ere long, it will get light before I'll be ready
to get up. Wisconsin days get pretty long in summer.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

wrote:

On 09/05/2013 6:23 PM, S Viemeister wrote:

On 5/9/2013 5:28 PM, Martin wrote:

David Hatunen

Did you try a sleep mask?

Hand out free on long distance flights.

It's years since I've been given a sleep mask on a long haul flight.

I have never been given a sleep mask on a flight, regardless of the time

of the flight.

It never occurred to me that I might need one. I had never been that far

north before.

I believe British Airways gives us sleep masks for flights from San

Francisco (and now Phoenix) to London.

We usually fly in late May or June. It's an overnight flight following

a great circle path. The flight departs in early evening and as you

fly toward the northeast the sun is off the left wing (I try to get

seats n the right side). As you fly over Canada and approach Greenland

the sun remains off the left wing. It never ctually sets and as you

fly from Greenland down to England the sun remains off the left wing.

But when you land in the morning there it's the next day.

Dave Hatunen, Tucson

Free Baja Arizona

You're in the northern hemisphere and the sun's in the north-west?
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen[_2_]

On Sat, 11 May 2013 01:17:49 -0700 (PDT), Surreyman
wrote:

[...]

On June evenings, yes, of course. But during the flight the sun stays
pretty much off the left wing so as the flight progresses the sun
"moves" to due north and then on the leg to London to the northeast.
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen[_2_]

wrote:

On 09/05/2013 6:23 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/9/2013 5:28 PM, Martin wrote:
David Hatunen

Did you try a sleep mask?

Hand out free on long distance flights.

It's years since I've been given a sleep mask on a long haul flight.

I have never been given a sleep mask on a flight, regardless of the time
of the flight.

I've always been given them on flights from Europe to Australia.

It never occurred to me that I might need one. I had never been that far
north before.

Even as far south as The Netherlands the number of hours of darkness
is short in summer. There must be places in the USA that have a
similar lack of darkness in summer. In Fairbanks for example

As my dog will be pointing ere long, it will get light before I'll be ready
to get up. Wisconsin days get pretty long in summer.

So also when I lived in Montreal, which isn't really as far north as
one might think, and when I lived in Richland, Washington, which is
further north than one might think. But a lot depends on where you are
in that time zone and whether daylight time is in effect. (which I
reckon it is almost everywhere except here in Arizona and a few other
places).

Dave Hatunen, Tucson
Free Baja Arizona
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

Richland WA is 958km North and about 8,600 West of me. Sunset today will be
at 21:09 BST.

--
JohnT

Old May 13th, 2013, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim......

wrote:

On 09/05/2013 6:23 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/9/2013 5:28 PM, Martin wrote:
David Hatunen

Did you try a sleep mask?

Hand out free on long distance flights.

It's years since I've been given a sleep mask on a long haul flight.

I have never been given a sleep mask on a flight, regardless of the time
of the flight.

I've always been given them on flights from Europe to Australia.

me too. I have a large collection, all of which have now exceeded their
point of elasticity :-(

Can't remember if I got one to/from Cape Town or not

tim

Old June 27th, 2013, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2013-05-11, Surreyman wrote:
On Friday, May 10, 2013 6:34:15 PM UTC+1, David Hatunen wrote:

We usually fly in late May or June. It's an overnight flight following
a great circle path. The flight departs in early evening and as you
fly toward the northeast the sun is off the left wing (I try to get
seats n the right side). As you fly over Canada and approach Greenland
the sun remains off the left wing. It never ctually sets and as you
fly from Greenland down to England the sun remains off the left wing.
But when you land in the morning there it's the next day.

You're in the northern hemisphere and the sun's in the north-west?

At my northern hemisphere location the sun set half an hour ago at
317 degrees. West is 270, north-west 315.