Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Old July 19th, 2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
[email protected][_1_]

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

I've never been pulled over (they never had a reason to)

I'm about as law-abiding as they come, but it's still possible to come
under police attention due to bad luck or whatever.

When I was a college student, I was driving back to my dorm when 2
police cars boxed me in, and the police stepped out with their hands on
their guns. Turned out that a violent felon had just been spotted in
that neighborhood in a car similar to mine. After being frisked and
locked in the back of a cruiser for several minutes, the police
realized I wasn't the guy and apologized, but obviously it shook me up.

A more recent (and much less dramatic) incident occured about 5 years
ago, when a highway patrol officer followed me closely for about 10
minutes for no apparent reason. (Yes, I'm sure he was following me.) I
assume he was running my plates, but I have no idea why as I wasn't
speeding or anything. Probably he just picked me at random.

My point is that you never know when you might come under police
attention. Even good drivers can have it happen occasionally.

Jim

Old July 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
SP Cook

Arif Khokar wrote:

I'm still not sure how they determine the month for custom plates.

In WV all vanity plates expire in January. The first year you get one
you pay a pro-rate fee to take you to January. All orginization plates
(NASCAR, clubs, college alumni plates, etc) expire in July. Same deal.

Since there is NOTHING on the plate that says this a person in could
get a custom plate with a 2007 sticker and, if they drove out of state
where cops don't know the system, drive until December 2007 with an
apparently current year sticker.

SP Cook

Old July 19th, 2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Paul S. Wolf

On 7/19/2006 12:23 PM, wrote:
I've never been able to get insurance without showing a valid
registration.

I have paid to insure my car for 2 years without a
registration........I love the car, intend to put it back on the road
but for now just need the insurance to protect from falling trees,
vandals, etc......
Chuck

You should be paying for Comprehensive insurance, covering damage to
YOUR car. But you shouldn't be paying for Liability insurance, which
covers you for damage you do to OTHER cars or people.

The insurance companies will not pay on claims for liability if the car
isn't currently "Street legal" (i.e. legal to drive on the street,
including with current registration and plates.

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:25:32 GMT, Carole Allen wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:09:34 -0700, Hatunen wrote:
I believe getting current tags usually involves paying
registration fees for the years tags weren't obtained, which in
some states and for some cars can amount to a fair piece of
money.

Only fair, as those fees help to maintain the roads the deadbeat with
the expired plates has been using.

This may be confusing the registration, which is a fixed fee every year, and
property taxes on the vehicle, which go down every year (assuming the rate stays
the same) as the vehicle depreciates.

It's likely that the OP will only have to pay the current year's registration,
but will be liable for back taxes in the intervening years between when the
vehicle was last registered and when it is registered again.

That's true for SOME, but not all states, which impose a "Personal
Property Tax" on automobiles, based on the weight/value, etc. Those
taxes, BTW, are deductible on your US Federal Schedule A tax form, while
registration fees are not. What applies in Canada, I don't know.

For example, as a resident of Ohio, I know they don't have that tax,
but, as I used to live in Virginia, I also know that they do.

--
Paul S. Wolf, P.E. mailto Traffic Engineer, Traff-Pro Consultants, Inc.
Wickliffe, Ohio 44092
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Brian[_1_]

On 18 Jul 2006 19:33:50 -0700, "Mike Tantillo"
wrote:

I assume you'd still have to do something to get the cop's attention in
order to prompt them to punch in the number. Unless they're literally
bringing up license plate info as they drive around "just for the fun
of it"...

Which is done apparently. They may also put in the numbers at gas
stations, fast food places, hotels, etc.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
[email protected]

You should be paying for Comprehensive insurance, covering damage to
YOUR car. But you shouldn't be paying for Liability insurance, which
covers you for damage you do to OTHER cars or people.

I dont know exactly what I have, but it is the minimum for
massachusetts and only costs about a thousand bucks a year......

Chuck

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

"H.B. Elkins" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:25:32 GMT, Carole Allen wrote:
Only fair, as those fees help to maintain the roads the deadbeat with
the expired plates has been using.

This may be confusing the registration, which is a fixed fee every year,
and
property taxes on the vehicle, which go down every year (assuming the rate
stays
the same) as the vehicle depreciates.

It's likely that the OP will only have to pay the current year's
registration,
but will be liable for back taxes in the intervening years between when
the
vehicle was last registered and when it is registered again.

Yes, plus some states give hefty fines for letting your tags expire, others
require you to pay a fee for cars not being driven and becoming
unregistered. I'm beginning to think he should trade the car in and drive
another to Louisiana! ;-) KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Around here, (Tennessee) when you first get your plate they put a sticker
on it, showing what month it expires - it might say "JUL" in large
letters. You get another sticker that might say "2006", showing that it
expires at the end of July, 2006. When you renew, you get a sticker that
says "2007", you stick it over the top of "2006" to show the plate is
valid for another year. The procedure is identical in Wisconsin.

An officer doesn't have to get very close to be able to read both
stickers, and if he does he knows the plate is (or isn't) expired. He
doesn't have to run it through the computer to know.

Yes, he does. Just because you didn't put the sticker on the plate, doesn't
mean you don't have it. I neglected to put my sticker on this year and
drove around for months with the sticker in the glove compartment. And in
many states, stickers are stolen regularly. KM

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

"Paul S. Wolf" wrote in message

You should be paying for Comprehensive insurance, covering damage to YOUR
car. But you shouldn't be paying for Liability insurance, which covers
you for damage you do to OTHER cars or people.

Most states won't let you get comprehensive without liability. Even if you
aren't driving it, some yo-yo can ride his skateboard into your car and
claim the mirror injured him. ;-) KM