papua new guinea safe for solo traveler?

Old July 29th, 2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default papua new guinea safe for solo traveler?

I'm thinking about traveling for 2 weeks in Papua New Guinea. The
travel advisory is pretty intense:
http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/countries/png.shtml

I'm male, and I've traveled a lot by myself (the last 2 trips were
east africa and brazil by myself), and I like adventures, but even
this scared me.

Is it safe to travel to?

I was looking to do 5 days of diving, and then spend the rest of time
checking out the beautiful country. Do I have enough time?

I've always been dying to go to Papua New Guinea, but if it doesn't
work I'm going to instead go to Australia....

I'm leaving in 2 weeks, and I just decided to go yesterday, so I'm
trying to figure this out quickly. thanks in advance!

Old July 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
maxi

Three friends of us disappeared last week in PG, we think they have been
cooked and eaten...
and You would like to travel solo??

schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

PNG is risky. Law and Order is as much in the hands of the 'Raskol Gangs' as
the Police. I'd give it a miss!!

ups.com...

Old July 30th, 2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

thanks everyone for their advice. OK, it looks like I'm going to go
to Australia. I just don't think I have the time to do PNG correctly,
and to do it safely. I would need more time to plan it and research
it.

thanks! I can't wait!

Old July 30th, 2007, 07:50 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
maxi

wise decision

ronald

schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old August 1st, 2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Andrew Venor

wrote:
I'm thinking about traveling for 2 weeks in Papua New Guinea. The
travel advisory is pretty intense:
http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/countries/png.shtml

I'm male, and I've traveled a lot by myself (the last 2 trips were
east africa and brazil by myself), and I like adventures, but even
this scared me.

Is it safe to travel to?

I was looking to do 5 days of diving, and then spend the rest of time
checking out the beautiful country. Do I have enough time?

I've always been dying to go to Papua New Guinea, but if it doesn't
work I'm going to instead go to Australia....

I'm leaving in 2 weeks, and I just decided to go yesterday, so I'm
trying to figure this out quickly. thanks in advance!

You might want to consider the fate of Michael Rockefeller before
traveling to New Guinea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Rockefeller

ALV
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
thanks everyone for their advice. OK, it looks like I'm going to go
to Australia.

Much lower chance of being hacked to death with a machete and eaten.