Australian hazards

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:39 AM posted to Newsgroups:,rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
kangaroo16

Default Australian hazards

In my previous post, I recommended the RFDS website on outback
travel, which gives some very good information.

However, my intention is not to discourage travel in, or
migration to, Australia.

I've spent most in my life in Australia after migrating to
Australia from the US decades ago, and personally have had no
problems with Australian snakes or other dangerous animals, on
land or in the sea.

Nevertheless, IMHO, many people do have phobias about snakes,
spiders, etc.

Every country has its risks, and I personally consider
Australia one of the safest countries in the world, much safer
than the USA in my experience.

Very few earthquakes, very few tornadoes.

As the RFDS states in their website, though, of the 25 most
deadly snakes in the world, Australia has 21 of them.

The most venomous snake in the USA barely makes the top 25
of the list.

I am a bit surprised that the US still advocates the "cut
and suck" treatment for snakebite. A "snakebite" kit here
involves a pressure bandage and immediate medical aid.

For a technical medical discussion of snakebite treatment,
see the PDF download at:

http://www.flyingdoctor.net/monographs/snakebite.pdf

The chances of dying as the result of snakebite are pretty
minimal, about six deaths a year out of a population of
over 21,000,000.

Nevertheless, there is a hazard even in cities, IMHO. Most of
the snakes in the USA are harmless, here 95% are venomous,
although only a few are dangerous.

However, this should be enough to strongly discourage children
from attempting to pick up a snake.

A few years ago, a bloke in suburban Sydney returned from
work, got out of his car, stepped on a snake, was bitten. An
"eastern brown" from memory, and didn't use basic first aid
procedures. He or his wife did immediately summon an ambulance,
but despite treatment at a couple of hospitals, he didn't
survive.

Again, IMHO, Americans seem at "special risk". On Sydney
beaches, they refuse to "swim between the flags" where
the surf lifesavers are on duty.

If anyone travels on highway one from Sydney to Cairns, they will
see many miles of tempting white sand beaches with no one on
them.

There is a reason, of course! Unpatrolled beaches aren't
protected against sharks, deadly jellyfish, and so on.

One of the more recent victims was a female American tourist
who decided to swim or bathe in an inland pool or estuary in the
Northern Territory. A salt water crocodile had a nice meal.

Yes, some or most local councils put up warning signs, but
tourists often steal them.

If they cannot learn something as basic as "swim between the
flags" on Sydney beaches, then a warning sign would probably be
ignored anyway.

Do tourists expect the Australian Government to post signs all
over the continent warning tourists to "Beware of Snakes"? Or
signs on outback roads warning to "Carry adequate water,
food, tools, spares, etc?"

Sometimes, yes, but don't rely on such notices, even though
they are sometimes displayed.

Does the U.S. Government display warning signs in the American
Midwest warning people not to approach twisty clouds? In
California, do they post signs to what to do if the ground
shakes? Do they warn people to keep their car doors locked while
driving?

Tourists are expected to know what to do in case of
emergency. The same applies in Australia.

The U.S. method of dealing with snakebite may work there, with
comparatively harmless rattlesnakes and coral snakes, but
not here.

In any case, for further medical information on snakes, see:

http://www.flyingdoctor.net/monographs/snakebite.pdf

Cheers,

Do U.S. authorities post signs saying "Flee funnel shaped clouds"

Generally, though, they won't bother you if you don't bother
them.

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
A Mate

Get a life "kangaroo16"!

Your posts are pointless, inaccurate and worst of all tedious!

Old August 28th, 2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:48:29 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote in
:

Get a life "kangaroo16"!

I have one, but thanks for your concern. Incidentally, did you
just wake up and get online?:-)

Your posts are pointless,

I don't think so, and some others agree with me. :-)
....At least on misc.immigration .....

inaccurate

Care to challenge me on any particular point? Will look forward
to your effort. Can you even show that you are capable of
evaluating same?

However, don't let this discourage you in the attempt! It could
be entertaining for most readers. :-)

and worst of all tedious!

If you require help in reading them, then you can probably seek
remedial reading help in your area. :-)

Do you have any idea of your reading speed in words per minute?

In my experience, Usenet is all about the exchange of
information.
If you don't like my posts, you don't have to try to read or
understand them, do you?

You can always go back to t.v. if you have comprehension
problems. Some shows are comparatively easy to understand....

Or on radio, there is always 2JJJ. This shouldn't challenge your
"intellectual effort".:-)

Cheers,

.. .

Old August 28th, 2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

1. Having a heart attack climbing Ayers Rock.

2. Motor vehicle accidents - as a driver or pedestrian - deriving from cars
driving on the left.

3. Getting crabs and/or the clap from skanky pommie backpackers.

4. Really, really bad sunburn.

5. Food poisoning from cheap Lebo takeways, consumed when too drunk to care.

Old August 28th, 2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:52:29 +1000, "Peter Webb"
wrote in
:

1. Having a heart attack climbing Ayers Rock.

Yep, realistic, one of the leading causes of death, after all,
Often comes as a surprise as well....

2. Motor vehicle accidents - as a driver or pedestrian - deriving from cars
driving on the left.

I didn't personally find it all that much of a problem in driving
here, with the possible exception of finding myself on the
"wrong" side of an unmarked highway when turning in from a side
road.

The habit of driving on the right took about a week to completely
overcome. Although one soon notices the oncoming cars or
trucks.:-)

Still, have had US visitors here who were in Australia for the
first time who had no problems renting a car and negotiating
traffic.

As a pedestrian, did have a bit of a problem once when crossing a
street in the middle of the block in Sydney. Almost got hit by a
ute.

My fault, though, didn't look both ways before crossing.
Fortunately the driver had good brakes! :-)

3. Getting crabs and/or the clap from skanky pommie backpackers.

Or worse, but "no comment" really. :-)

4. Really, really bad sunburn.

That is a pretty easy one, if one doesn't notice the warning
signs. The sun is pretty "strong" here, especially in the
ultraviolet, and I once found myself starting to burn after
about 15 minutes.

On the other hand, there are advantages in living in an
essentially "pollution free" environment. Nice view of the
stars at night, for a start.

5. Food poisoning from cheap Lebo takeways, consumed when too drunk to care.

I haven't encountered this one personally, but will agree it
could be a possible hazard. ...Although not sure that the risk
would be any higher here than in the US or anywhere else.

I've spent time in worse environments in Asia, where drinking the
available water could be even more of a risk.

Hints : Drink only boiled water or tea, sterilize fresh water, in
Asia.

In Sydney, water is so pure that once had a live minnow come out
of a kitchen sink tap.

Don't expect this in Los Angeles, though, where the tap water was
not only brown, but contained enough sodium hypochlorite to
bleach fabric.

Considering that it might have been down others toilets six or
seven times, though, it shouldn't be surprising! :-)

Be thankful you don't live in New Orleans. Bacteria or viruses
in your water could be the least of your problems. :-)

No reply on this group from "mate" so far. Perhaps he or she
went back to sleep? :-)

If so, a pity. I was looking forward to accusations of
"inaccuracy".....especially on my quotes from the
R.F.D.S. source. :-)

IMHO, Australia is one of the safest countries in the world to
"visit" or "live", if not the "safest"!

I'm interested in the opinions of other migrants, of course.

Even the "Pommies" :-)...............

Cheers,

Cheers

Old August 28th, 2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
Rudy[_1_]

In Sydney, water is so pure that once had a live minnow come out
of a kitchen sink tap.

I found that drinking a few slabs of Hahn's while in Sydney and up on the
Murray River kept the "doctor away" and there weren't any minnows in it

Old August 28th, 2007, 06:45 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:24:38 -0500,
.. wrote in
:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:24:52 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:48:29 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote in
u :

Get a life "kangaroo16"!

I have one, but thanks for your concern. Incidentally, did you
just wake up and get online?:-)

Your posts are pointless,

I don't think so, and some others agree with me. :-)
...At least on misc.immigration .....

inaccurate

Care to challenge me on any particular point? Will look forward
to your effort. Can you even show that you are capable of
evaluating same?

I am in the US and have NEVER heard of the cut and suck method for
snakebits. In fact, since living here, I have heard so much about NOT
to do it... And I do live in territory where rattlers, corals,
copperheads etc live.

It was certainly the "preferred" method when I left. However,
lets check the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy online.

Perhaps the recommendations have finally changed:

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec21/ch325/ch325g.html

I did find your comment quote:
A salt water crocodile had a nice meal.

to be extremely inappropriate.
If this is your view of 'entertaining to readers' then you are sick.

I don't think so, just "realistic". Admittedly, I don't have a
great amount of sympathy or empathy for people who deliberately
do stupid things.

I don't try to "entertain" readers, but to keep them
comparatively "safe".

Traveling in outback Australia can be a lot more hazardous than
visiting "Death Valley" in the western U.S.

Before you are tempted to ask, will mention that "been there,
done that."

Have you?

However, don't let this discourage you in the attempt! It could
be entertaining for most readers. :-)

It's obvious that you haven't read the Charter/FAQ of USENET's
rec.travel.australia+nz otherwise you would find that anything to do
with immigration is a no-no.
Maybe you should take the time to go back and read it.

Haven't bothered, actually. I assumed that immigrants would be
interested. My posting to "rec. travel..." is merely a courtesy.

If members of this group don't want actual information, I can
avoid it in the future. My posts are mainly directed to actual
or potential migrants. Am really not that concerned with mere
"tourists".

BTW have you read your own ISP's TOS/AUP re posting with an invalid
email address?

Of course, and am not worried about it when posting the truth. If
they want to hassle me about my posts, I can always switch
suppliers.

In Australia, we do have "freedom of speech" you know. Or should
know anyway.

Any other comments?

Can you find any errors in my posts? There are advantages in
living in a truly free country, you know. Or should anyway.

Cheers,
"Kangaroo 16"

Cath

Cath

Old August 29th, 2007, 06:30 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Rudy[_1_]

I found that drinking a few slabs of Hahn's while in Sydney and up on the
Murray River kept the "doctor away" and there weren't any minnows in it

Fair enough, but "slabs" rather than "cases" indicates that you
might be from Victoria.

Hey, I'm no Mexican !

Personally, prefer 4X as a beer.

I liked the 2.7% of the Hahn's..could drink beer all night and never fall
off the bar stool !

You don't live in Melbourne, by any chance? :-)

No, actually I live in Canada. After 6 weeks in OZ, I got used to watching
cricket and Aussie Rules Football and now I quite miss it..it.s not on the
TV here

Possibly a good place for "Pommies" to migrate to until they
are ready to face life in Sydney?

If they don't mind that all the shops are closed after Noon on Saturday til
Monday

Old October 14th, 2007, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
Meryl

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
1. Having a heart attack climbing Ayers Rock.

I find it sad that people climb Uluru, a sacred place.

Meryl

Old October 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,misc.immigration.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:08:49 +1000, "Meryl"
wrote:

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
. au...
1. Having a heart attack climbing Ayers Rock.

I find it sad that people climb Uluru, a sacred place.

Meryl

Nonsense.

Be even sadder for the economy of the local indigenous
people if people didn't come to climb it.

Alan, Australia