laptop check or take

Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

Default laptop check or take

IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your laptop.

I always take my laptop with me on the aircraft and either put under
seat or in overhead. Often, I have at my feet.

In the cargo hold or "bin", the bags are stacked according to size. your
bag may have several others piled on top of it. I also have seen bags
fall off of a baggage cart, get dragged, and in some cases get run over

the name of the game for the ground crew is to get the bags out as fast
as possible and get the plane loaded so it goes out on schedule. bags
get tossed, and I have seen bage fall about 20 feet from the top of the
belt loader to the cememnt below.
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
LVTravel[_2_]

Anyone checking a laptop or other valuables are just asking for them to be
stolen even if they have TSA locks or any other type of securing devices on
them. Hand carry any valuables unless you can afford to lose them.

.. .

Old November 4th, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
JA_MORAN wrote:

IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your laptop.

Only a fool would check a laptop. In addition to the rough treatment
that checked luggage can sometimes endure, there's the risk of having
the laptop go missing or be stolen.

I always take my laptop with me on the aircraft and either put under
seat or in overhead. Often, I have at my feet.

Same for me.

In the cargo hold or "bin", the bags are stacked according to size. your
bag may have several others piled on top of it. I also have seen bags
fall off of a baggage cart, get dragged, and in some cases get run over

the name of the game for the ground crew is to get the bags out as fast
as possible and get the plane loaded so it goes out on schedule. bags
get tossed, and I have seen bage fall about 20 feet from the top of the
belt loader to the cememnt below.

Me too ... and I am just a passenger!
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

JA_MORAN wrote:

IF you decide to put laptop in checked baggage, be sure it is surrounded
by adequate padding, same if you elect to gate check or "valet" your
laptop.

Did you just think this up for yourself?
How often do you check your laptop?

I know no-one that checks a laptop.
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM posted to rec.travel.air
A Mate

There is absolutely NO risk of a checked in laptop being stolen!! It's an
absolute CERTAINTY!!!

Check a laptop in by all means; but farewell it appropriately before doing
so!!

Old November 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
There is absolutely NO risk of a checked in laptop being stolen!! It's an
absolute CERTAINTY!!!

Do they x-ray checked luggage?

tim

Old November 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On 4 Nov, 04:41, "LVTravel" wrote:
Anyone checking a laptop or other valuables are just asking for them to be
stolen even if they have TSA locks or any other type of securing devices on
them. Hand carry any valuables unless you can afford to lose them.

Shortly after 911 some airlines started insisting laptops had to be
checked in and could not be taken as hand luggage.

Old November 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 4, 6:08 am, "tim....." wrote:
"A Mate" wrote in message

u...

There is absolutely NO risk of a checked in laptop being stolen!! It's an
absolute CERTAINTY!!!

Do they x-ray checked luggage?

tim

They sure do. And with a much stronger machine.

Old November 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Shawn Hirn wrote:

Only a fool would check a laptop. In addition to the rough treatment
that checked luggage can sometimes endure, there's the risk of having
the laptop go missing or be stolen.

I distinctly remember checking my laptop when flying from London to the
US on August 13, 2006. Didn't have any choice in the matter, either.

Old November 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

VS wrote:

In article ,
Shawn Hirn wrote:

Only a fool would check a laptop. In addition to the rough treatment
that checked luggage can sometimes endure, there's the risk of having
the laptop go missing or be stolen.

I distinctly remember checking my laptop when flying from London to the
US on August 13, 2006. Didn't have any choice in the matter, either.

Great, but this is November 2007.
Do you still check it?