America's most walkable cities

Old December 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Stan Horwitz[_2_]

Default America's most walkable cities

Check out this CNN article

**http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/04/walkable.communities.ap/index.html

It ranks Philly (my home town) highly in terms of walkability. I love
walking in Philly. In fact, I expect to be taking a nice walk there in a
half an hour or so.

Washington was top ranked. I haven't been to many of the cities on this
list, but I would agree with it for the cities where I have been to such
as New York, Boston, and Las Vegas, although walking in Las Vegas is a
problem for many people in the hot summer weather.

I am glad that walking is becoming more popular. Its great exercise,
great for the environment, and it helps clear one's mind.
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
mcs

"Stan Horwitz" wrote in message
Check out this CNN article

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/04/walkable.communities.ap/index.html

It ranks Philly (my home town) highly in terms of walkability. I love
walking in Philly. In fact, I expect to be taking a nice walk there in a
half an hour or so.

Washington was top ranked. I haven't been to many of the cities on this
list, but I would agree with it for the cities where I have been to such
as New York, Boston, and Las Vegas, although walking in Las Vegas is a
problem for many people in the hot summer weather.

I am glad that walking is becoming more popular. Its great exercise,
great for the environment, and it helps clear one's mind.

studies like this that don't really quantify what makes it walkable or
better seems to promote a city rather then the viability of a good walk or
study
One would think parks and clean air would factor into the mix, but ha, that
would probably disqualify the intent of the study.

Old December 5th, 2007, 02:18 AM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Stan Horwitz

In article K0e5j.8415$T41.4782@trndny01, "mcs" wrote:

[...]

This study was with reference to how convenient it is to access
different services and businesses on foot rather than driving. Certainly
the availability of parks would be important too in a more comprehensive
study, but even there, Philadelphia is tough to beat because it has the
most extensive park system of any urban area in the United States, if I
am not mistaken. Speaking as someone who has walked many miles in
Philadelphia, its an awesome city for walking.

Just this morning, despite the cold blustery weather, I walked nearly 3
miles to my office in North Philadelphia and I enjoyed the walk.
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:36 AM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
BrianK

On 12/4/2007 9:18 PM Stan Horwitz plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:
[...]

Let's not forget the "Island City", Key West. The highest elevation is
only 12 ft above sea level. Key West is very flat, making it low impact
walking as well.

I've always enjoyed walking in New York, even though the walk isn't
flat. There's always something interesting to see as you walk. Wearing
good walking shoes, I once walked from the Metropolitan Museum of Art
all the way down to Bowling Green. (I was not pressed for time.) The
tourist zone, Historic Section, of Charleston is an easy walk. In all
the cities I've cited, key businesses are accessible on foot. I'm not
referring only to businesses that cater to tourists.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
mcs

[...]

well true so why was Philly so far down on the list with the great park
system?
you did pick a good air day to walk, what the heck is going on here, for
the first time in five years we seem to have six out of eight days with
majority of time in good air. Of course many cities get that every day. but
not here. I wonder if some changes are happening and I don't know it. Nahh
this city is still in denial

Old December 5th, 2007, 01:09 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Stan Horwitz[_2_]

In article ,
BrianK wrote:

Let's not forget the "Island City", Key West. The highest elevation is
only 12 ft above sea level. Key West is very flat, making it low impact
walking as well.

I've always enjoyed walking in New York, even though the walk isn't
flat. There's always something interesting to see as you walk. Wearing
good walking shoes, I once walked from the Metropolitan Museum of Art
all the way down to Bowling Green. (I was not pressed for time.) The
tourist zone, Historic Section, of Charleston is an easy walk. In all
the cities I've cited, key businesses are accessible on foot. I'm not
referring only to businesses that cater to tourists.

The average elevation in Philadelphia is 11 feet above sea level if I am
not mistaken, but it does have some very steep areas such as Manayunk.

I agree about NYC. I love walking around there. I could spend hours
walking there. I have walked all the way from the the NYU campus to Penn
Station on a nice day. Cities are my favorite areas to walk. Just
yesterday, I walked from 8th and Market Streets to my office in North
Philly about three miles away. The weather was very cold and windy, but
I was dressed appropriately and I enjoyed the walk.
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Karen Y Byrd

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:42:30 GMT, mcs wrote:

well true so why was Philly so far down on the list with the great park
system?

The answer is simple. The people who created this list hardly know
about our extensive park system. Do you think they spent five seconds
in Pennypack, Cobbs Creek or FDR Parks? Heck, chances are they barely were aware
of Fairmount Park. It's one reason to find all these surveys
as virtually 100% useless.

you did pick a good air day to walk, what the heck is going on here, for
the first time in five years we seem to have six out of eight days with
majority of time in good air.

How many weather systems have crossed the country, and affected our weather,
in the past week? That's your clue.

Of course many cities get that every day. but
not here. I wonder if some changes are happening and I don't know it. Nahh
this city is still in denial

And you need an attitude adjustment just like Nutter is asking us
to have. Stop viewing everything as glass-half empty.

Old December 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"Karen Y Byrd" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:42:30 GMT, mcs wrote:

well true so why was Philly so far down on the list with the great park
system?

The answer is simple. The people who created this list hardly know
about our extensive park system. Do you think they spent five seconds
in Pennypack, Cobbs Creek or FDR Parks? Heck, chances are they barely were
aware
of Fairmount Park. It's one reason to find all these surveys
as virtually 100% useless.

We had a couple of discussions about public parks in US cities. So I googled
and found this site:
http://www.tpl.org/content_documents...ofLandArea.pdf.
It lists -- as the URL indicates -- total park area as a percentage of total
area. Don't know if parkways are included -- or even if it's accurate. But
it's interesting. I wonder if anybody's computed how much park area within
an hour's drive. Both of these numbers would affect a city's liveability.

Marianne

Old December 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
mcs

[...]

with all the myriad of asthma commericals and people I talked to , with all
the John Whites, Hy Lits, Joe Niagara, Jonny Callisons, and Jim Correa who
have died sooner then they should and all the people who have respiratory
disease and all the days I saw our air get worse in the last five years,,, I
like to stick to the point. Did we make some changes in air pollution that
is affecting us more then air fronts. We had the same fronts last two years
and with chilling predictability the air was still out of the good zone most
of the days it was horrible. What has happened lately? Of course I still
believe it could be the front and nothing has changed, but one can hope.

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:12 AM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
mcs

well there goes the good air.. 6 out of 8 was the most days for us. Wow..
this is actually a bad run for many places with cleaner air.

Now my lungs are constricted and its time to get the helll out of here if I
want to live.. the rest of you, your cells are slowly being destroyed one
cell at a time only you don't know it and I am telling you.