Qantas Warning on Websites

Old December 31st, 2003, 07:42 AM

Default Qantas Warning on Websites

Qantas warning on websites

Wednesday December 31, Qantas and Australian Airlines have warned
customers not to use two websites purporting to sell international and
domestic airfares.

The airlines said they have no association with the unofficial
websites www.jetflights.net and www.domesticflights.org.

Qantas and Australian also said they had not made any fares available
through these websites and could not honour tickets purchased through
either site.

"Customers are urged to book only through qantas.com,
australianairlines.com or other reputable travel sites," Qantas said.

Qantas has brought the sites to the attention of police, who are
investigating its concerns. - Travelpress travel news
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:32 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article ,
at
wrote on 12/31/03 3:42 AM:

Qantas warning on websites

Wednesday December 31, Qantas and Australian Airlines have warned
customers not to use two websites purporting to sell international and
domestic airfares.

The airlines said they have no association with the unofficial
websites
www.jetflights.net and www.domesticflights.org.

Qantas and Australian also said they had not made any fares available
through these websites and could not honour tickets purchased through
either site.

"Customers are urged to book only through qantas.com,
australianairlines.com or other reputable travel sites," Qantas said.

Qantas has brought the sites to the attention of police, who are
investigating its concerns. - Travelpress travel news

An internet scam? Whatever will happen next?

Thanks for the PSA Cath.

Old December 31st, 2003, 05:28 PM

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:32:46 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article ,
at
wrote on 12/31/03 3:42 AM:

Qantas warning on websites

Wednesday December 31, Qantas and Australian Airlines have warned
customers not to use two websites purporting to sell international and
domestic airfares.

The airlines said they have no association with the unofficial
websites
www.jetflights.net and www.domesticflights.org.

Qantas and Australian also said they had not made any fares available
through these websites and could not honour tickets purchased through
either site.

"Customers are urged to book only through qantas.com,
australianairlines.com or other reputable travel sites," Qantas said.

Qantas has brought the sites to the attention of police, who are
investigating its concerns. - Travelpress travel news

An internet scam? Whatever will happen next?

Thanks for the PSA Cath.

I don't know!
I just got the msge about 5 mins before I posted it earlier this morn
by which time, I was too tired to look into it further.
No doubt my source will send more info if/when avail.

Maybe Tony can throw some light on this?

Cath
Old December 31st, 2003, 09:00 PM
Tony Bailey

wrote in message
Maybe Tony can throw some light on this?

Cath

Interestingly it didn't turn up here -

But someone spammed aus.aviation a week or so ago with both addresses and
Dave Proctor and a few million other people immediately reported them to
Qantas (and possibly even Quantas) who apparently did some serious
investigation and than issued a warning.

Of course, as I always say, there was no indication on the web-sites of
either a travel agents registration or a business registration - just a lot
of lifted QF logos! Not even a home page with a fake address, probably just
an attempt to farm credit card details from the gullible.

As usual, "caveat emptor"!

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old December 31st, 2003, 09:31 PM

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 08:00:56 +1100, "Tony Bailey"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Maybe Tony can throw some light on this?

Cath

Interestingly it didn't turn up here -

But someone spammed aus.aviation a week or so ago with both addresses and
Dave Proctor and a few million other people immediately reported them to
Qantas (and possibly even Quantas) who apparently did some serious
investigation and than issued a warning.

Of course, as I always say, there was no indication on the web-sites of
either a travel agents registration or a business registration - just a lot
of lifted QF logos! Not even a home page with a fake address, probably just
an attempt to farm credit card details from the gullible.

As usual, "caveat emptor"!

Thanks Tony.
I couldn't remember what the Aus. requirements are for advertising.
I know you have posted it in the past but it had slipped my mind.

Kind of reminds me of that one about a year ago over here that the FBI
got involved with. BTW, would you believe after all the postings that
went on about that one, I got an email from someone who got scalped
from them approx end of Jan/early Feb this year!

Cath
Old January 1st, 2004, 04:26 AM
David Bennetts

"
Of course, as I always say, there was no indication on the web-sites of
either a travel agents registration or a business registration - just a

lot
of lifted QF logos! Not even a home page with a fake address, probably

just
an attempt to farm credit card details from the gullible.

As usual, "caveat emptor"!

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

In this case it would seem that they were only interested in receiving cash
deposited to a nominated account for the bookings.
One scam site mentioned was www.jetflights.com - if you look it up you'll
find the site is now for sale for the bargain basement price of $29995
(presumably USD).

Regards

David Bennetts

Old January 1st, 2004, 10:44 AM
Dave Proctor

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:42:59 -0600, wrote:

Qantas warning on websites

Wednesday December 31, Qantas and Australian Airlines have warned
customers not to use two websites purporting to sell international and
domestic airfares.

The airlines said they have no association with the unofficial
websites
www.jetflights.net and www.domesticflights.org.

Old news - was bought to notice on several boards -
http://www.flyertalk.com/ - where QF staffers are KNOWN to lurk - well
over a week ago. I am surprised that it took QF well over a week to
alert the general public after I mentioned it prior to Christmas.
Maybe the lurkers stopped lurking for a while...

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Old January 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Dave Proctor

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 08:00:56 +1100, "Tony Bailey"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Maybe Tony can throw some light on this?

Cath

Interestingly it didn't turn up here -

But someone spammed aus.aviation a week or so ago with both addresses and
Dave Proctor and a few million other people immediately reported them to
Qantas (and possibly even Quantas) who apparently did some serious
investigation and than issued a warning.

When I phoned them, they were already aware of it - still took them
ages to get the info out to the general public though. I had a look at
the fares on offer, and they were too low for me, they just rang alarm
bells, as did the use of the AO logos on the "domesticflights" page.
Why it took them as long as it did for it to make the news is a real
worry though, how many less knowledgeable people would have been
suckered in in the meantime?

Dave

=====

Old January 1st, 2004, 05:27 PM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:44:17 +1100, Dave Proctor
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:42:59 -0600, wrote:

Qantas warning on websites

Wednesday December 31, Qantas and Australian Airlines have warned
customers not to use two websites purporting to sell international and
domestic airfares.

The airlines said they have no association with the unofficial
websites
www.jetflights.net and www.domesticflights.org.

Old news - was bought to notice on several boards -
http://www.flyertalk.com/ - where QF staffers are KNOWN to lurk - well
over a week ago. I am surprised that it took QF well over a week to
alert the general public after I mentioned it prior to Christmas.
Maybe the lurkers stopped lurking for a while...

Dave

Not everyone reads the same newsgroups.
So, what may have been old news to you was fresh news to others on
this newsgroup.

Cath