Air NZ crew heads home alone after LA suicide

Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:39 AM
budgie

Default Air NZ crew heads home alone after LA suicide

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:41:29 GMT, "cole" wrote:

"steve" wrote in message
The safety of passengers could have also been at stake.....given how
distracted the cabin crew could/would have been.

Yeah it would be fun if the pilot and co-pilot relived the experience of a
corpse splashing on the windscreen during a flight.

even though it was only cabin crew in the minibus. But the flight deck crew
would have been aware of it, and it would certainly have been hard to put out of
their minds completely for the entire flight.

Good idea to bring them home

agree
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:41 AM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC6946E2.214E0%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article m, Jim Davis
Sr. at wrote on 3/1/04 7:04 PM:

Fine - the point remains, people "get upset" about all kinds of things,

all
the time. If the airline is going to cancel flights over it - on

safety,
humanitarian, or karmic grounds - they should ensure enough redundancy

cover these out-of-the-blue contingencies (unlike weather or

mechanical).

No Transportation Company can have a plan for everything. That was a 1

in a
million shot. People who were inconvenienced by this just have to shake

it
off, and go on with their lives. I've been delayed hundreds of times,

for
hundreds of reasons. It happens. That's life.

Exactly my point, my friend. People expect, and make allowances for, and
forgive, the delays inherent in air travel due to the vagaries of the

method
- mechanical delays, weather delays, etc. This is especially true when

the
airline is up front about it (e.g. how often have we shrugged off "flight
canceled" and how often have we been ticked when there are a series of six
consecutive "one hour" delays?).

If, conversely, the airline is going to cancel a flight because of a
particular policy ("we won't make you fly because you had a close
encounter"), it is incumbent upon the airline to make it right by its pax.

What I have read in the article, it stated that passingers were put on other
flights. Seems that they tried to make it right.

We all have stress from various sources at various times. Do we get to
knock off work (including in the airline industry) because we had a fight
with a spouse or the dog died or.....

Actually, my company is pretty good in that way. I'm a Service Engineer, &
work with Heavy Machinery. We are limited to no more than 12 hrs. work with
no tolerance. If our Service Manager senses any kind of unusual stress from
one of our service people, he will (and has) pull them from the job, & send
a replacement. The person pulled, goes home for a day or two on "standby"
pay. And probibly because of this, we have an excellent safety record.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:44 AM
budgie

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:49:24 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article m, Jim Davis
Sr. at wrote on 3/1/04 7:04 PM:

Fine - the point remains, people "get upset" about all kinds of things,

all
the time. If the airline is going to cancel flights over it - on safety,
humanitarian, or karmic grounds - they should ensure enough redundancy to
[...]

I take it you haven't personally experienced a jumper.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:59 AM
Sean

Default Sheep shaggers head home alone after LA suicide

Raffi Balmanoukian a
wrote:

I, for one, would have been completely ticked. Sure, it sounds insensitive,
but crap happens. Do they cancel a flight if the pilot's dog dies? No? I
would think that would affect the pilot a lot more than some stranger while
you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It was imperative that the sheep shaggers be flown home immediately to
be with their fluffy white sheep. It has been demonstrated in studies
that they recover faster whilst in the company of their romantic
partners.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:01 AM
Jim Davis Sr.

a wrote:

I take it you haven't personally experienced a jumper.

I was in Buffalo, NY in the 70's. A guy jumped from the roof of City Hall.
What he didn't count on, was the 3rd or 4th floor balcony in front with a
flag pole. He was impaled half way down the pole for some time before the
fire dept. cut down the pole. I was stuck in traffic, while they cut him
down. I believe they closed down City Hall for the day.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:09 AM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC68DDEF.214AE%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...

As for suing....NZ should consider going after the estate of the deceased
for all of its damages, including the dent in the van 8-)

Go after the Estate? Oh Gawd! The guy probably had nothing, or very
little. What he may have left will probably go to his widowed wife or
girlfriend with a couple of kids. NZ can handle the loss, & insurance will
fix the van.