Passport will expire in 5 months

Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tristán White

Default Passport will expire in 5 months

Am flying Stansted-Valencia-Stansted in August with RyanAir.

My British passport will expire in Jan 08.

Some flights don't allow you to travel if your passport is expiring within
6 months. However, the RyanAir T&Cs do not mention it.

I don't want to be stuck, and I refuse to ring RyanAir's £1 a minute line
(yep, according to http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?
sect=CONTACT&div=call_ctr it's 10p per minute, but when you get through you
get a message saying redial another number, at £1 a minute). Out of
principle, I don't want to ring it.

Anyone know whether I may have problems with my passport expiring 4 and a
bit months after my holiday? I'm not getting travel insurance....

Tristán
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jan[_1_]

Tristán White wrote:
Am flying Stansted-Valencia-Stansted in August with RyanAir.

My British passport will expire in Jan 08.

Some flights don't allow you to travel if your passport is expiring
within 6 months. However, the RyanAir T&Cs do not mention it.

I don't want to be stuck, and I refuse to ring RyanAir's £1 a minute
line (yep, according to http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?
sect=CONTACT&div=call_ctr it's 10p per minute, but when you get
through you get a message saying redial another number, at £1 a
minute). Out of principle, I don't want to ring it.

Anyone know whether I may have problems with my passport expiring 4
and a bit months after my holiday? I'm not getting travel
insurance....

Tristán

Why not just renew your passport now. The unexpired time will be added to
your new passport.

Jan

Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tristán White

"Jan" wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:
Am flying Stansted-Valencia-Stansted in August with RyanAir.

My British passport will expire in Jan 08.

Some flights don't allow you to travel if your passport is expiring
within 6 months. However, the RyanAir T&Cs do not mention it.

I don't want to be stuck, and I refuse to ring RyanAir's £1 a minute
line (yep, according to http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?
sect=CONTACT&div=call_ctr it's 10p per minute, but when you get
through you get a message saying redial another number, at £1 a
minute). Out of principle, I don't want to ring it.

Anyone know whether I may have problems with my passport expiring 4
and a bit months after my holiday? I'm not getting travel
insurance....

Tristán

Why not just renew your passport now. The unexpired time will be added
to your new passport.

I didn't know that. I thought you had to pay more if you didn't wait for
the passport to expire. I'll look into it then! Assuming there's not danger
of it not being ready by August! Hopefully there's no mammoth backlog at
the moment.

Although I imagine there'll be more demand this summer than usual, as many
people will be trying to avoid getting those nasty biometric ones that come
into force soon.

Cheers!
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Tristán White wrote:

Am flying Stansted-Valencia-Stansted in August with RyanAir.

My British passport will expire in Jan 08.

Some flights don't allow you to travel if your passport is expiring within
6 months. However, the RyanAir T&Cs do not mention it.

My passport expires within 6 months, and I've flown in the EU with
Ryanair since that 6 months had been passed. My understanding is that if
you have an EU passport you are allowed to enter another EU country for
the duration of the validity of the passport. If there is an airline
flying intra-EU which doesn't accept this, I'd be interested to know
which one.

Whether or not this is in fact the case, I can assure you you will not
have a problem with 4 months validity. You will probably have people at
the check-in remind you that the passport expires soon. I've had this
happen on my last three trips out of the UK!

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Tristán White" wrote in message
. 109.145...
"Jan" wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:
[...]

The nasty biometric ones came into force last October.

tim

Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:15:50 -0500, "Tristán White"
wrote:

I'll look into it then! Assuming there's not danger
of it not being ready by August! Hopefully there's no mammoth backlog at
the moment.

This is quite a problem in the USA as visits to Mexico and Canada
now require passports, resulting in quite a backlog.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Tristán White wrote:
[...]

.....and why are they nasty ??

Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tristán White

"tim....." wrote in
:

Tristán White wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I used the wrong words. Yes, biometric ones have been around, but
I was referring to the new and intrusive security measures, and enforced
registration on the database, which is opposed by the majority of the
population.

and dozens more articles.

It's not that I have anything to hide, I just work in IT and I know how
fallible IT systems are. And I know how crap some government agencies
are with their IT systems.... just read Private Eye every two weeks :-))

I also strongly feel that such ID cards are going to (ab)used by our
boys in blue at making life even harder for some of our black, Asian and
other ethnic minorities citizens. The Met are "institutionally racist"
by their own admission, and you can't wipe that out overnight, or even
over a few years, sadly.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tristán White

"Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr" wrote in
oups.com:

Tristán White wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I used the wrong word, didn't mean biometric, I meant the ones
with all these extra info stored on the national database, which is
apart from very costly for the public coffers, and will do zilch to
combat terrorism (as saw in Madrid where ID cards are compulsory), I
wouldn't trust government funded IT systems to protect my data from
hackers and the like.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Tristán White wrote:

"tim....." wrote in
:

[]
The nasty biometric ones came into force last October.

Sorry, I used the wrong words. Yes, biometric ones have been around, but
I was referring to the new and intrusive security measures, and enforced
registration on the database, which is opposed by the majority of the
population.

Yes- the current UK 'biometric' passports look pretty non-intrusive,
from the one's I've seen.