How do you feel about flying ?

Old October 7th, 2003, 09:58 PM
blib

Default How do you feel about flying ?

As a fearful flyer I'm trying to come to terms with my fear. I'm wondering
what you do, from those who are not fearful about flights. Brief History:

used to fly 3 to 4 days a week for business in my twenties, never had any
fear whatsoever, actually enjoyed flying. Now having turned 41 have flown
maybe 10 times in the last 15 years and the fear is powerful.

Here's my typical pattern:

1) Book trip months/ possibly up to a year in advance. Intermittently

check
websites, etc.
2) About 2 months before flight, start looking at websites, and
specifications on the type of equipment.
3) Start checking to see how full the flight is (a full plane creates more
fear for me than an empty plane)
4) About 1 month prior to flight. Start watching long term forecasts,

clear
air turbulence forecasts, and browsing disaster databases for the model
aircraft I will be on to see the history of the airline/aircraft.
5) About 1 week before. Start with mini panic attacks, anxiety, headaches.
6) About 3 days before, loss of sleep, sweating palms, general anxiety.
7) Day before flight. No sleep, anxiety again.
8) Day of scheduled flight, miserable, nervous, can't think or focus on
anything else.
9) On the plane.. Seatbelt tight, no talking, stare out window, listen for
any sounds, wait for turbulence so I can employ the death grip on the
armrest.
10) Upon landing. Total relief, start to remember what the flight was for

in
the first place. But the pattern starts again for the return flight but

not
as bad as the departing flight since I can replay the departing flight in

my
head if it wasn't a bad flight..

Most of my air travel is for vacation purposes, I'll be taking 6 flights
within the next 4 months and even though I realize that air travel is

safe,
for me it is still a fearful event.

All my fear is general and I can pretty much take any scenario and run

with
it to make it an anxiety provoking thought.

So wondering what your thoughts and preparations are before you fly.

I usually have a few treble whiskeys for a long flight, not so much out of
fear, but boredom...
I like to pass out as soon as I get my seat..

Old October 7th, 2003, 11:30 PM
MrEdwardDWebb

well,to begin with
I know the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour
So to me Absent from the body means present with the Lord.
The day that I die is in the hands of God,Not a pilot,not a terrorist,not an
airplane mechanic.
If The Lord wants me to continue living so I can serve him,then No amount of
turbulance can rattle me.

That assurance is very soothing.
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Miguel Cruz

MrEdwardDWebb wrote:
well,to begin with
I know the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour
So to me Absent from the body means present with the Lord.
The day that I die is in the hands of God,Not a pilot,not a terrorist,not an
airplane mechanic.
If The Lord wants me to continue living so I can serve him,then No amount of
turbulance can rattle me.
That assurance is very soothing.

So I presume you are opposed to, say, police and laws.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:54 PM
blib

well,to begin with
I know the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour
So to me Absent from the body means present with the Lord.
The day that I die is in the hands of God,Not a pilot,not a terrorist,not

an
airplane mechanic.
If The Lord wants me to continue living so I can serve him,then No amount

of
turbulance can rattle me.

If you are not serious, well LOL
If you are serious, **** of you Religous ****' this is not
rec.travel.magiccarpet.godpropelled

Old October 8th, 2003, 02:44 AM
MrEdwardDWebb

Nope................I obey all laws
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:45 AM
MrEdwardDWebb

If all 300 people are Saved then.............yes

Old October 8th, 2003, 02:50 AM
MrEdwardDWebb

I am serious my friend.
and this post was not about religion

the thread asked how do you feel about flying

So I answered it.

If i had just gave a token answer like "I like to fly"..........well,big
deal,so does everyone else.The thread starter was looking for *WHY* so I
answered him
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Dick Locke

On 08 Oct 2003 01:45:53 GMT, (MrEdwardDWebb)
wrote:

If all 300 people are Saved then.............yes

OK, so I'm on a plane and that means that at least one person is
unsaved. What does your theology say about a mixed planeload?