Time to stop flying?

Old April 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mike....[_4_]

Default Time to stop flying?

Following up to Benjamin Dover

As for distance, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Once you are on
final, just keep the spot you want to hit steady in front of you. For
example, if you want to land "on the numbers", just make sure they are not
moving as you get closer. If the numbers are moving toward you, you'll
land past them. If away from you, you'll land short. Just keep the
numbers steady and when you feel the ground effects, close the trottle,
round out, flare, and land.

i will have a go at that!
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:01 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
congokid

In article , William Black
writes

I keep looking at the Canon G9...

I keep reading reviews that call the interface 'challenging'...

I considered that (or its predecessor, the G7), but I didn't like the
fact that the battery is integral. I wanted a compact digital camera
that uses rechargeable AA batteries, which would allow me to charge up a
spare set and take them with me.

With a 4GB card in the camera, the battery life is virtually the only
limit to how much I can shoot in a day.

I ended up with the A640, which is slightly larger than the G7, but much
cheaper (I paid UKP124 at Canon Outlet). It's also much smaller than my
Fuji FinePix DSLR.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
congokid

In article , William Black
writes

If I was buying a serious SLR for that kind of money I'd buy a Panasonic,
they look much better value.

My first 'serious' camera, ie SLR, was a Pentax MX, which I bought
second hand many years ago.

The prism housing has a huge dent in it, but it worked perfectly. I
haven't used it in years so I'm not sure if it still does, but I should
still be able to take pics with it as it will function without
batteries.

Compared to digital SLRs it's quite heavy as the entire body is metal,
but it feels great to use, and has survived several trips abroad,
including 10 weeks in the baking heat of a southern US summer (a lot of
which it spent on the car's back window shelf, in strong sunlight).
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike....[_4_]

Following up to congokid

My first 'serious' camera, ie SLR, was a Pentax MX, which I bought
second hand many years ago.

I started with a Russian SLR, the shutter fell to bits. Lens was OK though.
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

Mike.... wrote:
Following up to congokid

My first 'serious' camera, ie SLR, was a Pentax MX, which I bought
second hand many years ago.

I started with a Russian SLR, the shutter fell to bits. Lens was OK though.

We still have, and my husband occasionally uses, a Russian SLR bought by
my father in 1945.
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:28:20 +0100, Mike.... wrote:

Following up to congokid

My first 'serious' camera, ie SLR, was a Pentax MX, which I bought
second hand many years ago.

I started with a Russian SLR, the shutter fell to bits. Lens was OK though.

I had a Praktika. Dropped it down a 1/2 flight of stone steps, it chipped
the steps and still worked perfectly.
--
Tim C.
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Not a real one.

Yes, it's a real simulator.

Unless there are planes out there where the sensory
experience is limited to a small computer screen and some burring noise
coming out of speakers.

In most large aircraft, sensory experiences are not highly relevant,

********. I'm not limiting sensory experiences to your sweaty mits
around a joystick in a darkened Parisian attic.

On approach to Madrid airport a few weeks ago, the plane must have hit
some turbulence or something. (I don't know enough about the way these
things work to know what caused it.) The aircraft suddenly dropped, and
and some people screamed. If you'd never flown before, it might have
been terrifying actually. Now, it only lasted a second or two, so fine-
you take these things in your stride, and I'm sure it didn't phase the
people piloting the aircraft. But, those are highly sensory experiences
for any normal human being.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

Martin writes:

When was the last time you piloted a real aircraft?

Never. When was the last time you used MSFS with a full set of add-ons and
controls?

snicker

Old April 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Mike.... wrote:

Following up to Mxsmanic

For some reason, some
people have a visceral desire to deny this, but I'm not exactly sure why.

David has had a couple of flying lessons so thinks he knows everything
about it and anything less real is invalid.

**** off.