Connection to a discounter in UK

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:17 AM
ivk

Default Connection to a discounter in UK

the biggest question is how much contingency time are you going to
leave
between the flights in case the inbound is delayed ?

I am coming from US, and was planning to have at least 4 hrs
contingency. But my question was more about transportation between
airports, eg between LGW and Stansted, or LGW and Gatwick: what are the
options, how long do they take, and the fares. I saw some earlier posts
claiming that the connection overhead cancels all advantages of flying
to London and then using a discounter, so I was wondering if this was
true or not.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:12 AM
Frank F. Matthews

ivk wrote:

the biggest question is how much contingency time are you going to

leave

between the flights in case the inbound is delayed ?

I am coming from US, and was planning to have at least 4 hrs
contingency. But my question was more about transportation between
airports, eg between LGW and Stansted, or LGW and Gatwick: what are the
options, how long do they take, and the fares. I saw some earlier posts
claiming that the connection overhead cancels all advantages of flying
to London and then using a discounter, so I was wondering if this was
true or not.

LGW to Stanstead will be complicated in that time but LGW to Gatwick
would be really easy. Watch out for the baggage allowance on the
discounter. That can run up the price a bunch.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:07 AM
Roland Perry

In message .com, at
19:17:45 on Mon, 2 May 2005, ivk remarked:
I am coming from US, and was planning to have at least 4 hrs
contingency. But my question was more about transportation between
airports, eg between LGW and Stansted, or LGW and Gatwick:

And Luton, perhaps?

what are the options, how long do they take, and the fares.

Taxi will be quickest and most expensive, about £50-70. Allow 1.5-2hrs
(on top of the hour to exit Gatwick, plus your contingency and plus
checkin time ) depending on time of day and which airport.

Train is the normal option, about £25. Luton involves no changes (from
May 16th), Heathrow and Stansted two changes. Allow 2-3hrs (plus etc)

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

Cheapest (and not much slower, but possibly less frequent) is a coach:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home/hp.cfm

I saw some earlier posts
claiming that the connection overhead cancels all advantages of flying
to London and then using a discounter, so I was wondering if this was
true or not.

Depends a little on how much your time is worth.
--
Roland Perry
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:09 AM
Jim Ley

On 2 May 2005 19:17:45 -0700, "ivk" wrote:

the biggest question is how much contingency time are you going to

leave
between the flights in case the inbound is delayed ?

I am coming from US, and was planning to have at least 4 hrs
contingency. But my question was more about transportation between
airports, eg between LGW and Stansted, or LGW and Gatwick: what are the
options, how long do they take, and the fares. I saw some earlier posts
claiming that the connection overhead cancels all advantages of flying
to London and then using a discounter, so I was wondering if this was
true or not.

There are low cost carriers who fly out of LGW (which is Gatwick, and
has enough transatlantic flights for Americans to get a cheap deal)
and whilst they are generally a little more expensive, rarely are they
the 25 quid more that you pay for the transfer. So you'll be very
unlikely to save yourself any money, and you'll waste a lot of time.

So just look at LGW tickets from london - http://www.skyscanner.net/

Jim.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:51 AM
Keith W

"ivk" wrote in message
oups.com...
the biggest question is how much contingency time are you going to

leave
between the flights in case the inbound is delayed ?

I am coming from US, and was planning to have at least 4 hrs
contingency. But my question was more about transportation between
airports, eg between LGW and Stansted, or LGW and Gatwick: what are the

I take it you mean LHR and Gatwick as LGW IS Gatwick

options, how long do they take, and the fares. I saw some earlier posts
claiming that the connection overhead cancels all advantages of flying
to London and then using a discounter, so I was wondering if this was
true or not.

Financially its close and iterms of the hassle its definitely true

Personally I wouldnt think of using a low cost like Easyjet or Ryanair
unless you are planning on spending one or more nights in
London. If you miss a flight connection because of a delay
you will likely lose the onward flight.

If you are booked through and this happens they put you on the
next available plane.

Keith

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Hilary wrote:

the biggest question is how much contingency time are you going to

leave

between the flights in case the inbound is delayed ?

I am coming from US, and was planning to have at least 4 hrs
contingency. But my question was more about transportation between
airports, eg between LGW and Stansted, or LGW and Gatwick: what are
the
options, how long do they take, and the fares. I saw some earlier
posts
claiming that the connection overhead cancels all advantages of flying
to London and then using a discounter, so I was wondering if this was
true or not.

LGW to Stanstead will be complicated in that time but LGW to Gatwick
would be really easy. Watch out for the baggage allowance on the
discounter. That can run up the price a bunch.

Apart from Ryanair the nofrills airlines offer the same allowance as the
scheduled airlines (20kg). But if you're bringing in the 2pieces at
32kg/70lb each then it'll be a lot cheaper just to book the connection
on the same ticket, that way you get the same luggage allowance all the
way through.

Hilary

You are right I should have said the allowance on a separate ticket.