Driving Vancouver to Seattle

Old March 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Driving Vancouver to Seattle

We've decided to rent a car after the cruise and make the drive to
Seattle Airport.
In part we did this because the expense and times of flights out of
Vancouver weren't ideal, and figured it would let us see a small part
of the area on the drive.
(Yes there's a shuttle but the wife would rather do this, and I'm
always happy to take the alternative scenic route)
So far about the only thing we have come up with (due to timing) is to
take a side trip down Skagit Bay area.
BUT that's why I'm posting here, any suggestions that don't include an
overnight are welcome.

Old March 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

" wrote in news:1142183651.316775.125190
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

We've decided to rent a car after the cruise and make the drive to
Seattle Airport.
In part we did this because the expense and times of flights out of
Vancouver weren't ideal, and figured it would let us see a small part
of the area on the drive.
(Yes there's a shuttle but the wife would rather do this, and I'm
always happy to take the alternative scenic route)
So far about the only thing we have come up with (due to timing) is to
take a side trip down Skagit Bay area.
BUT that's why I'm posting here, any suggestions that don't include an
overnight are welcome.

You are wanting to fly same day from Seattle? I would not reccomend any
diversions unless you live on the west coast. the 3 hour time difference
eats up a lot of travel time and makes connections tight even when
departing Seattle at noon you will arrive in say Pittsburgh at 10pm or
so. Of course you could take the day getting to SEA and then take a red
eye. I wouldn't but you might.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old March 12th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi

wrote in message
oups.com...
We've decided to rent a car after the cruise and make the drive to
Seattle Airport.
In part we did this because the expense and times of flights out of
Vancouver weren't ideal, and figured it would let us see a small part
of the area on the drive.
(Yes there's a shuttle but the wife would rather do this, and I'm
always happy to take the alternative scenic route)
So far about the only thing we have come up with (due to timing) is to
take a side trip down Skagit Bay area.
BUT that's why I'm posting here, any suggestions that don't include an
overnight are welcome.

If you have the time, get off I-5 near Bellingham and take the route to
Chuckanut Drive, gorgeous drive and it is in the right direction. Also if
you have the time and want a good scenic place for lunch, stop off in
LaConner at one of the restaurants on the canal.

PMM

Old March 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

2 hour flight, 1 hour drive after that... unless it snows at the Golden
Gate Bridge and there's a resulting 28-car pile up.
http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/p...36/1033/NEWS01

Old March 13th, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We were at first contemplating staying overnight at LaConner, but
having lunch there is on our short list now with the current flight
out.
I'm looking forward to seeing the area, and thanks for giving me
confirmation.

Old March 13th, 2006, 12:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...
We've decided to rent a car after the cruise and make the drive to
Seattle Airport.

Mitch, why don't you take the train from Vancouver to Seattle instead?

--Jean

Old March 13th, 2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hey Jean
We actually considered the train trip all the way home but work
beckons.
As for the train from Vancouver to Seattle, I'd like to be able to take
some side roads and see things, thus the rental car.
Many thanks!
Mitch

Old March 13th, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi

"jim" wrote in message
Take the Amtrak. It is very inexpensive and a beautiful ride along the
coast.
Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
We've decided to rent a car after the cruise and make the drive to
Seattle Airport.
In part we did this because the expense and times of flights out of
Vancouver weren't ideal, and figured it would let us see a small part
of the area on the drive.
(Yes there's a shuttle but the wife would rather do this, and I'm
always happy to take the alternative scenic route)
So far about the only thing we have come up with (due to timing) is to
take a side trip down Skagit Bay area.
BUT that's why I'm posting here, any suggestions that don't include an
overnight are welcome.

1 Train a day, leaving Vancouver at 18:00 arriving Seattle 22:05.

PMM

Old March 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 12 Mar 2006 09:14:11 -0800, " wrote:

We've decided to rent a car after the cruise and make the drive to
Seattle Airport.
In part we did this because the expense and times of flights out of
Vancouver weren't ideal, and figured it would let us see a small part
of the area on the drive.
(Yes there's a shuttle but the wife would rather do this, and I'm
always happy to take the alternative scenic route)
So far about the only thing we have come up with (due to timing) is to
take a side trip down Skagit Bay area.
BUT that's why I'm posting here, any suggestions that don't include an
overnight are welcome.

The quick way across the border is to cross as Alderbrook, directly north
of Bellingham. When make this crossing stop off in the small town of
Lynden, a few miles south of the border and a couple miles east of
the highway. Then, as others have said, at the south end of Bellingham
take state highway 11, also called Chuckanut Drive. You also might
stop at the Bellingham neighborhood of Fairhaven, at the entrance of
Chuckanut Drive.