Can you buy UK to US tickets with US dollars while in the UK?

Old November 29th, 2007, 09:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Doug Weller

Default Can you buy UK to US tickets with US dollars while in the UK?

I fly UK -US round trip to visit my elderly dad. He pays for the tickets,
giving me US dollars. But I end up paying in pounds and lose heavily in
the dollars to pounds conversion.
If I could pay from my US bank account I'd save. But I haven't been able
to figure out how to do this (I'm talking online of course).
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Old November 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Hanne Gottliebsen

Doug Weller wrote:
I fly UK -US round trip to visit my elderly dad. He pays for the tickets,
giving me US dollars. But I end up paying in pounds and lose heavily in
the dollars to pounds conversion.
If I could pay from my US bank account I'd save. But I haven't been able
to figure out how to do this (I'm talking online of course).
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug

Sometimes the airlines US website will allow you to book a UK - US
return trip, and you pay in USD. I know that I have done this with
United no problem.

But you have to go to the US version of the website, and stay there.

HTH,
Hanne
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Doug Weller" wrote in message
I fly UK -US round trip to visit my elderly dad. He pays for the tickets,
giving me US dollars. But I end up paying in pounds and lose heavily in
the dollars to pounds conversion.
If I could pay from my US bank account I'd save. But I haven't been able
to figure out how to do this (I'm talking online of course).
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

All sales in the UK are denominated in pounds. If you pay with any other
currency an exchange rate is involved. There are no fares ex UK
filed/quoted in any currency other than GBP. If anyone, anywhere in the
world, issues a ticket ex UK the fare will be in pounds. Depending on the
precise circumstances if you pay in dollars a box called "equivalent fare
paid" may show some dollars.

If you want to pay using dollars two things you might want to investigate,
but I'm not sure they will be significantly better than your current
situation:

1) Pay using a USD denominated credit card. Although cards charge a
service fee their actual exchange rate can be quite good (but it pays to
check with the issuer first).
2) Get you dad to contact the airline in the US. Although the fare will
still be in pounds the airline will do the exchange and the rates are
usually fairly stable and don't involve a service fee. He can then pay
using his dollar card or a cheque or whatever. In the old days of paper
tickets the airline in the US would conatct the UK and tell them to mail you
the paper ticket - not necessary in these days of electronic tickets. The
only thing I would say about this method is that you must be ultra careful
that your dad gives the airline your full legal name, not some family
nickname.

Old November 29th, 2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Doug Weller" wrote:
I fly UK -US round trip to visit my elderly dad. He pays for the
tickets, giving me US dollars. But I end up paying iunds and
lose heavily in the dollars to pounds conversion. If I could pay
from my US bank account I'd save. But I haven't been able to
figure out how to do this (I'm talking online of course).

Get a debit or credit card from your US bank and use it to book
your tickets. If you use it at a US-based travel service r website,
you won't have to pay the foreign-exchange fee. I've booked
flights on US websites that originated elsewhere, athough some
require a US address (use dad's).

Old November 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Doug Weller

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:17:02 -0500, in rec.travel.air, Rog' wrote:

"Doug Weller" wrote:
I fly UK -US round trip to visit my elderly dad. He pays for the
tickets, giving me US dollars. But I end up paying iunds and
lose heavily in the dollars to pounds conversion. If I could pay
from my US bank account I'd save. But I haven't been able to
figure out how to do this (I'm talking online of course).

Get a debit or credit card from your US bank and use it to book
your tickets. If you use it at a US-based travel service r website,
you won't have to pay the foreign-exchange fee. I've booked
flights on US websites that originated elsewhere, athough some
require a US address (use dad's).

I've got the card, can you recommend some US sites that I can use for UK
originating tickets and access from the UK?

Thanks
Doug

Old November 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_3_]

news

www.expedia.com
www.aa.com (show your address as in the USA)
--

JohnT

Old November 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Doug Weller" wrote :
I've got the card, can you recommend some US sites that I
can use for UK originating tickets and access from the UK?

I like to use www.cheaptickets.com to compare fares. But I've
relied on www.expedia.com (not the UK version) to book travel
on non-U.S. airlines for flights originating outside the U.S. For
some reason, Expedia seems adept at finding code-shared flights among
/foreign/ airlines with significant price differentials.

I recently took a flight from Athens to Frankfurt on Lufthansa for
a price that was cheaper using the Aegean Air flight-code, which
I only found on Expedia. I also used Expedia for a flight from
Venice to Rome on AirOne at a discount to what its code-share
partners were charging.

If flying on a U.S. air carrier, I'd use that carrrier's website but
give them a U.S. physical address, regardless of what e-mail
address you use for e-ticket delivery. =R=

Old November 30th, 2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Doug Weller

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:32:08 -0500, in rec.travel.air, Rog' wrote:

"Doug Weller" wrote :
[...]

Thanks to you and John.
I shall try expedia.com and the carrier next time. Since I have a US
bank account with a US physical address, it should be no problem. I wish
I'd asked before.
Just registered with Expedia.com and it works.
What's interesting is with the uk site, US Airways is cheapest, with the
US site, Delta is!

Doug