Port Authority gate finders (tips)

Old March 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tim923[_3_]

Default Port Authority gate finders (tips)

What is the legality about those annoying people inside the Port Authority
station (NY/NJ) that are after tips?

That is one Greyhound bus stop that I don't like.

Old March 15th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Richard.Danial Richard.Danial is offline
Member

Here we have up for sale a fully licensed salvage / breakers yard, very rarely does a genuine salvage yard become available for such a price but a new business venture forces the reluctant sale.
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tim923[_3_]

"Richard.Danial" sssssssssssssssssssss wrote in message

Here we have up for sale a fully licensed salvage / breakers yard, very
rarely does a genuine salvage yard become available for such a price but
a new business venture forces the reluctant sale.

My guess is that if people pay gate-finder-helpers a tip it is OK, but
people are not required to.

They are so annoying and pushy. Has anyone in here been to Port Authority
and had the same problem?

Old March 17th, 2011, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:34:13 -0400, "Tim923"
wrote:

My guess is that if people pay gate-finder-helpers a tip it is OK, but
people are not required to.

They are so annoying and pushy. Has anyone in here been to Port Authority
and had the same problem?

The one time I was in there in decades which was a couple of years
ago, we were looking for a gate and couldn't figure out where to get
the information. The last time I had been there was in the early 70's.
I picked up a phone and dialed the number that said it for
information. I got an extremely surly man who said it was only for
redcap service (although it didn't say that.) He then told me that
there had been many layoffs and even if he knew what I needed to know,
he wouldn't tell me.
A man came up and took us to the gate which was in another part of the
terminal from where we were and from where the arriving bus had come
in. He gave a line about needing bus fare to Albany which I figured
wasn't true. We were happy to get his help and tipped him. It was a
lot cheaper than missing the last bus back to Jersey and needing to
take a cab. This guy was actually reasonably pleasant.