France questions for one who's never been there

Old March 24th, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default France questions for one who's never been there

Dubiously Fragrant Muffin writes:

Colds prosper at low temperatures, and thus the name. Raise the
temperature and they disappear. The common cold cannot survive at body
temperature for long.

Common cold viruses survive very well at normal body temperature.

Old March 25th, 2006, 10:07 AM
KONS KONS is offline
Member

new American in http://www.travelonline.happyhost.org
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

Your obsession with it doesn't strike me as particularly normal.

I wouldn't call taking care to wash one's hands an "obsession."

Nor would I, but you're doing a lot more than just that.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

Nor would I, but you're doing a lot more than just that.

Such as?

Old March 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:59:47 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dubiously Fragrant Muffin writes:

Colds prosper at low temperatures, and thus the name. Raise the
temperature and they disappear. The common cold cannot survive at body
temperature for long.

Common cold viruses survive very well at normal body temperature.

No they don't which is why they live in cooler parts of the body, like
the nose, throat etc.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Holly, in France" wrote in message
Snap again! People in the UK do seem to be suspicious of such
behaviour. In the Uk recently I was on a footbridge to a car park
and saw a sign saying 'beware, police rat trap vehicles operate in
this area'. I tried to ask a few passers by what it meant. Most
seemed to find it embarrassing as if I was some kind of nutter and
mumbled 'dont know' and carried on, a couple ignored me completely.

Talking to strangers? Definitely a nutter :-)

Well, there is that....could be dangerous too, I should have listened to
my mother when I was a child.

But some stopped and looked,
older people were better actually, and in the end a conversation
between half a dozen people got going. No one had a clue what it
meant though!

It means that the Police might, possibly, if they have one, leave a
car full of covert surveillance devices in the area to catch car
thieves, but they really hope that the notice alone will stop anyone
breaking into cars, just in case they choose the wrong one.

Aha, thanks. That makes more sense than an explanation that an English
friend gave. He said that the vehicle was designed to trap the potential
thieves inside it and that it was immobilised, thus the thieves were
caught like rats in the trap. Which I thought sounded a bit unlikely for
safety reasons.

--
Holly, in France
Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Old March 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

They've been doing this in the US for a while; usually with in car video
surveillance of the perp for evidence. Usually called a 'bait car'
here.

Bail Bond $5000; look on the perps face when the car goes dead, doors
and windows wont open and the Police appear in the background;
Priceless...g

Tim K

Old March 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dubiously Fragrant Muffin writes:

No they don't which is why they live in cooler parts of the body, like
the nose, throat etc.

If that were true, they'd live in the extremities and in subcutaneous
fat, which are both well below core temperature. But they do not.
Cold viruses are extremely specific to cells in the nasal passages and
throat.

Old March 25th, 2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:05:17 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dubiously Fragrant Muffin writes:

No they don't which is why they live in cooler parts of the body, like
the nose, throat etc.

If that were true, they'd live in the extremities and in subcutaneous
fat, which are both well below core temperature. But they do not.

Snow could fall in Jamaican fridges too, but it doesn't.

Cold viruses are extremely specific to cells in the nasal passages and
throat.

Due to there lower temperature.
--
---
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy writes:

Nor would I, but you're doing a lot more than just that.

Such as?

Obsessing. You've got a history of it here.