mexico city to san cristobal

Old January 8th, 2004, 10:45 PM
tile

Default mexico city to san cristobal

how do I travel from mexico city to San Cristobal ??

Any town worth a stop between the two towns ??

Would it be better mexico city palenque ?'
Any town worth a stop between the two places ??

Old January 9th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Richard

"tile" wrote in message
how do I travel from mexico city to San Cristobal ??

Taking a bus is the most straight forward, though you could also hitchhike,
fly, walk, drive or ride a unicycle.

Any town worth a stop between the two towns ??

No. There's nothing between the two of them. Everyone knows that Mexico City
and San Cristobal are the only two places worth seeing in Mexico.

Richard

Old January 9th, 2004, 05:03 PM
news.verizon.net

A more practical answer is to tell you there is an overnight bus from Mexico
DF direct to Palenque. It is only about 10 hours and very comfortable as it
travels mostly on super highways.
Another route is to go overnight to Oaxaca and spend 2 days visiting the
city, the Monte Alban ruins and a few other interesting things in that area.
Then you have no choice but another overnight bus to San Cristobal. You
could stop at Tuxla Gutierrez and visit the Sumidero Canyon. Then take a
daytime collectivo up those beautiful mountains to San Cristobal. The most
beautiful stretch of road is between San Cristobal and Palenque.
Read up before you go 'cause there is a lot to learn.
Louisg

Old January 9th, 2004, 08:42 PM
clint

I would suggest(if you are not a woman) to dress as one, and travel by bus.
I have done this often. It is much safer, and I've met some wonderful
people.

Old January 10th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Dayle

I would agree with Louisg and further add a couple more bits of info:

Bus schedules are at http://www.ticketbus.com.mx/. You can even reserve your
seat in advance, which is nice to ensure you don't end up in the back, close
to the toilets. Best seats are in front. In general, on busses, the first
row opposite the driver is best, so you can see out the front. But the UNO
bus is a bit different, as you can't see out the front -- the driver sits in
sort of a cockpit and you won't be able to see him or talk to him at all...
But you can still hear his music blaring through the door. I thought perhaps
there was a party going on up there. :-) Once before a checkpoint, his
friend left the front and jumped out so he could hide in the baggage
compartment! Yes, it's mostly superhighways, but at one point I woke to
find there wasn't any highway at all and we were bouncing about on what
seemed to be a dirt trail. No idea what was up as it was dark out...

As I said, I rode on UNO, which is the Executive bus. I think OCC also has a
deluxe service, too. It was the first time I used the deluxe service and
was happy I did as I was able to sleep much of the trip -- very nice seats
almost like Business Class on an airplane. Also fewer stops which makes the
trip a bit shorter in time. I thought the trip was more like 14 hours,
though. Also heard that some of the busses take approximately 18 hours...

Yes, stopping at Tuxtla would be interesting. Check out the Marimba
dancing -- the tourist info office (1 block from the bus station) can
provide a map. Sumerido Canyon would be a great day trip. It's beautiful!
I had been traveling frugally for a while and for my visit to Sumidero,
decided to indulge a bit at the EcoParc, where you can swim in a nice
swimming pool that overlooks the canyon. They also have a short nature walk
and an aviary.

If you stay in Tuxtla, you can easily catch a bus to San Cristobal, leaving
almost hourly I think... Or much more interesting would be to take a
Bronco. These are a step up from collectivos and cost the same as a bus.
Actually the bus would be more comfortable as I found it mostly empty going
back forth between SC and Tutla. Broncos are filled to capacity and the
absolute worse place to be is in the back between two seats. If I wasn't in
a hurry, I would wait until a new Bronco was filling up and then sit in the
passenger seat up front. Great view and ability to open/close the window.
When you're in the back, you very well might end up with people falling
asleep on your shoulder... I found it amazing that people could remain
asleep while we zipped around the curves going up the mountain!

Oh, you might want to see the Zoo in Tuxtla if you can... I hear it's quite
nice. Unfortunately, it was closed the day I tried to visit... I did manage
to see the zoo in Mexico City, which was very good. It think there were at
least 5 giant pandas from China. Of course, lot's of indigenous animals,
too.

OCC has very good service between San Cristobal and Palenque, including TV.
I remember Jurassic Park was showing and noticing how similiar the jungle on
TV looked to the jungle outside my window.

¡Buen viaje!

Old January 11th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Aitor

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:45:15 GMT, "tile" wrote:

how do I travel from mexico city to San Cristobal ??

Any town worth a stop between the two towns ??

Would it be better mexico city palenque ?'
Any town worth a stop between the two places ??

We did Mexico City-Oaxaca (city)-San Cristobal-(trip to Central
America)-Palenque-Mexico City (last one directly, but previosly
planned to stop on the beach in Oaxaca state, but no time for all).

Expect this help.

Regards,

Aitor
aitoru at ozu.es